Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Word About Windshields, or what I learned after my 3rd windshield
76-914
post Jun 18 2018, 08:58 AM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Before I go any further I would like to mention what a pleasure it was dealing with Richard Tankle @ Pro Source glass. He went above and beyond to make this transaction a pure delight. As you may know, this was my 3rd attempt at installing a windshield in the '70 914. The 1st one slid off the hood and onto the driveway while I was on the phone. lesson learned (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) . The second windshield cracked before my eyes as it sat on the hood awaiting the install. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) One small crack magically appeared then grew into a Spider web of cracks within 1 minute. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) It lay upon blanket with the edges pointing up (think of an upright "U"). The consensus was this placed an unusual amount of stress upon an already stressed area, the edge, and that any rough or chipped part of the outer edge could cause this. Lesson learned. Before going any further I should mention I had previously installed 2 Chinese windshields w/o a hitch. Given this info I decided to order the real deal, Sekruit. The Sekruit felt heavier so I pinged Richard regarding this and here is his response:

"Glad to hear all went well Kent. Hope all fits well. The Sekurit glass is a little heavier and you will notice the edges are smoother as well. The quality is noticeably better."

I would add that "noticeably better" is an understatement. Whereas the edge of Chinese glass was square cut the Sekruit is smooth, rounded and polished. You can actually feel the 2 layers of glass with your fingers on the Chinese. Not so on the Sekruit. Needless to say I will spend the extra couple of dollars next time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 18 2018, 09:59 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks for the info!

I will need a couple in the near future.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Jun 18 2018, 02:46 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,057

Good to know! I had an original out for bodywork, laid it down on cloth on both the targa and the hood, handled it roughly with only 2 hands, and put it back in with the butyl rubber bead solo. I guess a Chinese one might have cracked the way I handled that 45 year old one!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 18 2018, 03:21 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I purchased a Chinese one for $50 new, threw it in to the back of my wife’s new beetle, drove 2 hours. It’s sitting in my office. No issues.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 18 2018, 03:56 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

So what's the proper way to handle a windshield? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I thought glass was always supposed to be resting on an edge with the edge well padded, but I don't remember where I heard or read that to know if it was a reliable source.

Richard tried to figure out a way to get me a Sekurit windshield for reasonable price but it is a $500 windshield once it is crated and shipped. Given that we joke that you can identify tourists cars around here by the lack of cracks and starbursts on the windshields, it's not worth the added expense. Even Chinese will be a $300 piece of glass, so I'd like to avoid mishaps if possible.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 18 2018, 04:30 PM
Post #6

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I bought Sekurit about 5-6 years ago. My original wasn’t that bad and went to someone else’s project. I got it from Niello Porsche with a 20% discount for my PCA membership. It was a no drama self-install. I’ve not had a bit of problem with it. As long as the original is available, I would use it. Who needs to do a job two and three times? Not worth the effort! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jun 18 2018, 05:41 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Q: What did the windshield say to Kent on the driveway?

A: "You crack me up"
+Quote Post
Beach914
post Jun 18 2018, 05:50 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 11,519

Very strange to hear about everyone's windshield issues. I removed a windshield by myself from a 76 to that I parted out years ago and I've been moving it around ever since. It's leaning upright in a metal storage shed on the side of my house. No cracks yet! Perhaps I should keep my mouth shut before I eat my words. My plan is to put it in my 70.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 18 2018, 06:33 PM
Post #9

That 1st windshield had been on the top ,hood, carpet, etc for 6 mo's and nary a crack. The second one was on the hood for min's before it cracked. The point I was trying to make is the OEM is far less likely to have a blemish on the outer edge, which IMHO was responsible for the weakened structure. The Sekruit's rounded edge is both uniform and feels polished. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jun 18 2018, 06:50 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

I 2nd the opinion of Richard at Pro Source, I've bought from him for years, very nice guy and always down for a deal. On several occasions I've gone to MA and loaded my truck was glass.
+Quote Post
wes
post Jun 18 2018, 07:13 PM
Post #11

wes

Member No.: 8,436

I used the Chinese windshield about one month later a crack showed up! Bought one from Porsche and as mentioned night and day better quality, never a problem, payed more for the quality that’s worth it.
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Jun 18 2018, 08:13 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 20,499
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I've purchased two windshields from Richard at ProSource; one for my Merkur and more recently one for my 914 LE. The quality of both is excellent and I've no problems. Many thanks to Richard who also arranged group shipping to keep the costs down. coincidentally, both were shipped with Alfa Romeo windshields as we have very active clubs here in the Seattle area.
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Jun 18 2018, 08:56 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 6,794

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 18 2018, 04:41 PM) *

Q: What did the windshield say to Kent on the driveway?

A: "You crack me up"

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
ProSource Glass
post Jun 18 2018, 08:59 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 16,828
Region Association: None

Thanks to all for the good words and a nice active group!We usually have some small group buys in the works in different regions.
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Jun 18 2018, 09:00 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 6,794

I also bought a windshield from Richard at ProSource. He was great to deal with and the windshield was packed, so it would break if the box was dropped.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 19 2018, 08:47 AM
Post #16

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Jun 19 2018, 12:00 AM) *

I also bought a windshield from Richard at ProSource. He was great to deal with and the windshield was packed, so it would break if the box was dropped.

Ravi,
Did you want to edit this or are you just warning us not to drop the box? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 19 2018, 08:53 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 19 2018, 07:47 AM) *

QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Jun 19 2018, 12:00 AM) *

Ravi,
Did you want to edit this or are you just warning us not to drop the box? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Yea, he meant to say "wouldn't". His was packed with mine.
+Quote Post
Phoenix-MN
post Jun 19 2018, 09:49 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 1,590

Luck of the draw (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Factory Porsche windshield a few days after install

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:12 PM