Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Brad Roberts, Has anyone
Steve Thacker
post Jun 13 2005, 11:43 AM
Post #81

UMMMPH Yea Baby Yea ! UMMMPH

Group: Members
Member No.: 113
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jun 12 2005, 10:58 PM)
Man, I almost posted the same question last week, but thought not too...

I wish him luck. Sometimes you have to move on.

I don't recall him ever ASKING us to raise money for his bail...we did that because we felt it was the right thing to do.

Best of luck...we'll be here when you want to poke your head in.

This is the single most insightful post yet. It says it all......

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Hawktel
post Jun 13 2005, 01:07 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 506

QUOTE (scott thacher @ Jun 12 2005, 10:37 PM)
ed i have an idea, with a suby engine in the car i could move the firewall back about 5 to 8 inches ( basicly the rear glass even with the rear of the targa ) .

also with a smaller steering wheel that was tipped up a little more, and with the column shortened about 3 inches do you think you could fit

as for hieght by moving the seat to a tilt with the room gained by moving the fire wall i think you would fit.

for the pedals i think it could be adjusted to give another inch there too

let me know, i would be willing to do the labor you just pay materials

lots of good (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blowtorch.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welder.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sawzall-smiley.gif) you could be (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)

Thats a rightous offer Scott. You might be onto something.

I'd never considered trying to move the firewall back. Does a Subbie have that much room?

I'm into porsches long term. It might be another 5 or even 10 years before I act on this idea. I got time though. I'm not ready to jump on a project like that right now, but I'll start researching what needs to be done with that.

Thanks for the idea.
+Quote Post
Toast
post Jun 13 2005, 03:25 PM
Post #83

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

Goodbye Brad. Best of luck in your new life. (not ment harshly!)

In a way, I understand Brad's desire to put away the 914 part of his life. After my last accident in the VW beetle, I desided to remove those cars from my life and have no association with them anymore.
(Dont EVEN start on the VW/Porshe relation thing! I'm talking about the friggin beetle and my experience with it!)

The guy that built my last VW 1776 motor is constantly buggin me about getting involved with them again, even after I asked to respect my wishes about leaving them. It bothers me that he continues to be persistant.
Maybe one day, but not right now.

I find that situation similar to Brad's in that he has mentioned before about 914 repairs not making his ends meet, and then with the most recent stuff.

Anyway, last verse same as the first.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jun 13 2005, 03:39 PM
Post #84

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

QUOTE (Hawktel @ Jun 13 2005, 11:07 AM)

I'd never considered trying to move the firewall back. Does a Subbie have that much room?

if the radiator was put in the front trunk yes it could come back 6 to 8 inches at the bottom and 5 inches at the top more if the engine was moved back 1.5 inches like a chevy conversion is done.

what i would do would be to move the whole fire wall back about 5 inches, except the center tunnel area that way the shifter and stuff would not change. the the engine lid would just be the mesh area, the front section would go away. would be real tight to get in to but it could be done... i mean how often does a suby need to be touched
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Jun 13 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #85

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Lawrence @ Jun 12 2005, 08:37 AM)

At one point, Brad deleted his own account and asked Andy to delete all of his posts. We chose not to do that and we restored his account in "member" status.

But maybe he'll be back when he needs more money for legal bills. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

-Lawrence

However, he's indicated to members of the Admin team that he no longer wishes to be involved with 914s or the 914club.

sounds like a man with issues. (not just legal)

let's just let him go quietly into the night.

he obviously wants to turn his back on the 914 community, so let's not let the door hit him on the way out. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

we used him, he used us, it all evens out in the end.

next topic.............

+Quote Post
street legal go-kart
post Jun 13 2005, 05:01 PM
Post #86

Miss Mari's slave

Member No.: 490

Tough paying your mortgage on
" I'll pay you in Sierra Nevada 12ozers"

Couple of friends run a import shop down south,
Going shop rate for decent ,competent mechs is $110 per hour of which the wrenches get 60%.
People capable of high quality fab work , significantly more.
As a community we are all do it youselfers which does not lead to the type of income quoted above.
I recently told an employer to pack sand, and not over an insignificant amount.

Change is good.
We do not fear change (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

Let it go...

He is dollar wise in a better place.

JT
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jun 13 2005, 05:10 PM
Post #87

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

I'm giving Brad the benefit of the doubt until I hear his words. Dang, some of the comments here would make we wanna piss on this and move on. Somehow I would guess the most negative comments are coming from those who know him the least.

I have nothing but respect for Brad because of the knowledge he has shared with us.

Having said that, I do wish he would state his true feelings and situation before disappearing. The mystery thing is not healthy for anyone. Put the truth out there. Put it all out there.

Maybe he just needs space. Maybe it's nothing. Even if it was the worst, I'd rather be told to f-off than have some hidden rust developing. I hate speculation. If we don't hear from Brad (or at least a message from him through someone he knows) then we do need to just let this go.
+Quote Post
Hawktel
post Jun 13 2005, 05:26 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 506

QUOTE (scott thacher @ Jun 13 2005, 01:39 PM)
QUOTE (Hawktel @ Jun 13 2005, 11:07 AM)

if the radiator was put in the front trunk yes it could come back 6 to 8 inches at the bottom and 5 inches at the top more if the engine was moved back 1.5 inches like a chevy conversion is done.

what i would do would be to move the whole fire wall back about 5 inches, except the center tunnel area that way the shifter and stuff would not change. the the engine lid would just be the mesh area, the front section would go away. would be real tight to get in to but it could be done... i mean how often does a suby need to be touched

You know, that would be really trick also. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)

No one else would have one like that. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)

And its something suble, people who know 914's might not even spot it at first., and I only need another 3-4 inches I think to make it work.

Humm. Well, something to think about.

+Quote Post
street legal go-kart
post Jun 13 2005, 05:45 PM
Post #89

Miss Mari's slave

Member No.: 490

Rand,
He can't.
nuff said.

JT
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jun 13 2005, 09:11 PM
Post #90

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Got it.

I was just hoping for a post that set things straight, because I don't want to see any more posts that make people wonder if he has "turned his back on us" or moved on to things "better than 914s" or any other such crap if it's not warranted.

Obviously we should just let it go because it's deeper than that. Bummer. Our loss. I don't know, but I'm believing the best. All the best Brad.
+Quote Post
Duffster
post Jun 13 2005, 09:19 PM
Post #91

OFWG

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,087

adios, muchacho!!! buena fortuna!!
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Jun 13 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #92

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

who will work on Jenny's car?

Easy. Brad will. It's a job not yet completed. There have been numerous offers from club members to help me out. I'm hesitant because it is for Brad to finish. If I get others involved, there will be too many cooks in the kitchen, so to speak. When he finally gets to looking at my tranny, what if something someone else did isn't to his liking? It's like a shop not wanting to waranty someone else's work. Sure, it's damn inconvenient that he decided to pick up and move to San Diego and stop all relations with anything remotely 914, but I have confidence he will come back up and finish work on my car. I have to believe this, because if I don't, I will have to come to terms with being duped by a friend. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Jen
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 13 2005, 10:19 PM
Post #93

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I've been kinda out of the 914 community for a while. Although I am starting to look for another teener. Brad was a huge help to me when I was restoring mine with his knowledge & parts. He was also invaluable as a reference when settin up the 1st PNW914meet. He even made it up for the last one I set up. The turn out wasn't as good as the first 2 but he was cool with it. Drove straight up to little old Monmouth Oregon & straight back down when it was over. A good 20+ hours of driving. I honestly wasn't around & know nothing about the problems he's had the past 2 years. I know he was always a help to me & I'm forever greatful. I wish you the best Brad (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif) & as most everyone here we hope to hear from you when you can. Good luck with your new start. I'm really just starting mine after some trying times with my businesses. It's not a easy thing so I can relate to him in that respect! You rock buddy! Everyone else "if yous cans say nussin nice don say nussin at all" (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Jun 13 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #94

Leo Imperial and Logan Apollo...my terrors.

Member No.: 741

Well, this is all news to me, but then in the last 15 or so years, I was always the last to know what was going on with him.

If Brad has decided to take a break, or whatever, there is a reason for it. Brad has been into 914's LONG before he and I met, so if it is "quits", there has to be a VERY good reason for it.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 13 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #95

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Jenny, I am sure Brad has just hit terminal burnout and his new job is something he can focus on along with straightening out the rest of the mess. Remember, men can't do more than one thing at a time.....
He will call in awhile after things start to work out and he can breath and sleep again at night.

Again, IMHO Brad owes us (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/stromberg.gif) we owe him for all the free info/help, tech support, tows/rescues, starting the club, SwapMeets, WCC's, on and on and on......Brad got alot of shit done for really very little money in return.
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Jun 13 2005, 10:28 PM
Post #96

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884

QUOTE (Lyressa Roberts @ Jun 13 2005, 11:23 PM)
Well, this is all news to me, but then in the last 15 or so years, I was always the last to know what was going on with him.

If Brad has decided to take a break, or whatever, there is a reason for it. Brad has been into 914's LONG before he and I met, so if it is "quits", there has to be a VERY good reason for it.

Thanks for poping in. Please keep us in touch if you guys need anything. I know there is some angry venting going on but all of dont think that way. Larry
+Quote Post
Howard
post Jun 13 2005, 10:28 PM
Post #97

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943

Well, if anyone does see him, tell him to call me. I still have his hat (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Jun 13 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #98

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jun 13 2005, 09:27 PM)
Jenny, I am sure Brad has just hit terminal burnout and his new job is something he can focus on along with straightening out the rest of the mess. Remember, men can't do more than one thing at a time.....
He will call in awhile after things start to work out and he can breath and sleep again at night.

I know he's got his own (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/stromberg.gif) to deal with. And I've also come to realize that patience is a virtue when dealing with Brad. I know he's had it up to his eyeballs with 914s. I've talked to him plenty about it. I told him it'd be a good idea to take a break. He's been (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif) off and on with my tranny since the #4 incident went down the end of Feb. The sun's shining, my 914's shining, I just wish I could drive it. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) In due time...
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Jun 13 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #99

Best friends

Member No.: 231

I've heard from Brad. Regardless of what has been reported earlier, I don't think he'll stay away forever, and I know he will not fail to fulfill his obligations to folks. I've never met him in person, but I've dealt with him on my engine through HPH and he's been true to his word.

He gave me permission to quote him.
"I just need time to get my life back in order and to make some money
(you can quote me). I'm in a new business opportunity and it is sucking
up 99% of my time. I get here at 8am and leave at 9pm."

Let's put this to rest and let Brad reappear when he feels it's appropriate.
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Jun 13 2005, 11:36 PM
Post #100

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

Some of you guys can be a bunch of ASSHOLES!

For someone who practically started this online community, spent countless hours repairing cars for free (minus some beer), assisted several people at autocrosses without even driving a car himself, responded to posts with actual technical know-how and pictures, and is an all around good guy...you people are slamming him down like he is the opposition in a political battle. I am also surprised how many people here who I thought were his friends are not adequately standing up for him. For the rest of you who hardly know him or have never met him, unless he physically did something against you, you have absolutely no grounds for such comments.

Does he owe this online community anything? Absolutely NOT! He and a couple of other great people on this board started this place on Christmas Day 2002. He has been around supporting it and helping it grow to over 3000 members and he doesn't owe us a penny for it. So what if he doesn't want to be involved with it anymore. So what if he chooses to leave it for a while. I have seen several people here take a break from 914's for an extended period of time and nobody asks why.

Does he owe the people who contributed to his bail fund? Again, absolutely NOT! He got wrongfully acused for a crime that he did not commit. It just happened to be that it involved a certain 914 that several of people here found interesting for one reason or another. If you contributed to his bail fund thinking that you were supposed to get a payment back or a personal call from Brad, you misunderstood the fund's purpose. That fund was to help a fellow club member out of a situation that the rest of us feels he shouldn't be involved in. There are several fund drives for a whole slew of people and situations on this board that many contribute to and are involved in for a greater purpose.

Should he come and "check-in" to explain what's going on? Hell No! On one hand it would be nice if he updated all of us on his wear abouts, but on the other do we expect an timeline of the events going on in his life. What if he had been asked to step away from the clubsite for legal reason. Who cares if he is involved in taildraggers or is hanging out with the wine and cheese crowd. I bet there are several of us who own these cars that wish we had the money for a kick ass 911 or was friends with a bunch of money guys...not everyone is like this nor does everyone want to be.

I have know Brad for 10 years now and I have seen him do things for people he has never met, help people who he knows won't pay him a dime, and go out of his way to accomidate others. A couple of years ago he left his well-paying job in the tech industry to pursue his passion in Porsche's, a road that has been a rocky one to say the least. I know that he is now getting involved with something that is closer to his goal and is starting a new life. I am confident that once he gets settled in, he will drop in to see how we are doing. There are people here who will miss him, others will be glad to see him gone, and the rest will never know the difference.

It is my recommendation that an admin lock this thread before it continues to spin into a bashing session until those who are being bashed have a chance to speak for themselves. Brad has an admin account and can add to this later if he wishes.

-Britain
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 03:35 PM