Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Question for Those in the Know, I have an alignment question - UPDATE: Problem Solved
76-914
post Jun 21 2018, 12:59 PM
Post #21

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(John @ Jun 21 2018, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 21 2018, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(John @ Jun 21 2018, 10:37 AM) *

I'm guessing that your front tires are worn slightly funny from the toe-out you had before.

Can't believe they didn't adjust camber to even it up side to side or fix your rear alignment. I like to have even toe in the rear to give a decent thrust line.

Have a look at your front tires and look for wear or feathering. If you can, put your rear wheels on the front and see if you still have some vibration in the steering or if it goes away. The tires/rims could simply need balancing.

Good luck with it. It is easy enough to do a decent alignment with string, jack stands, a ruler and time, but I prefer my alignment machine since I have one.

Tires are new; or were. Have about 1600 miles on them now. And they didn't vibrate before the alignment. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I'd definitely suggest that you swap tires front to rear and if the problem persists, you will find something worn out in the front. Wheel bearing(s), tie-rod(s), ball joint(s) that the previous alignment was masking.

Logical! Makes sense . I will report back but it may not be for a few weeks. There is another car on the rack awaiting parts and vacation begins next week. Thx everyone, Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 22 2018, 12:06 PM
Post #22

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 20 2018, 08:37 PM) *

I thought about it but my understanding is that one needs a level floor. My garage floor slopes front to rear and left to right! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Vinyl floor tiles. A box of those is pretty cheap. A long piece of clear vinyl tubing, some water and food coloring, and you've got a big spirit level. You can measure out how far off you are at the four spots you want your tires to be, then stack up the correct number of tiles to make those four spots level with each other.

If you want things to be repeatable, then paint marks on the floor where the tiles go and how many tiles...

--DD
+Quote Post
taylspin46
post Jun 22 2018, 06:29 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 15,422
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 19 2018, 04:11 PM) *

I had my '73 aligned a week before Rt66 and failed to give it a proper road test before hitting the road About 70mph it begins to vibrate a bit and ceases around 80mph. Before having it aligned it drove like a dream but ate the front tires. Living in the sticks I don't have a lot of choices so I'm hoping someone can gleam these "before and after" alignment details and make a recommendation so that I can have it set correctly. TIA, Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) PS, click on the pic to view it upright.

So basically the only thing adjusted was front toe. Return the car for an actual 4 wheel alignment if that’s what you paid for..
Basic adjustments:
Front: Camber minus 0.3 degrees
Castor. 6 to 6.5 degrees
Toe. Plus 0.3 degrees (total)
Rear: Camber. minus 0.5 to 0.75 degrees (both sides equal)
Toe. plus 0.2- 0.25 degrees (total). Large differences in this adjustment
cause squirreliness at speed and
cornering.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 23 2018, 09:34 AM
Post #24

QUOTE(taylspin46 @ Jun 22 2018, 05:29 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 19 2018, 04:11 PM) *

I had my '73 aligned a week before Rt66 and failed to give it a proper road test before hitting the road About 70mph it begins to vibrate a bit and ceases around 80mph. Before having it aligned it drove like a dream but ate the front tires. Living in the sticks I don't have a lot of choices so I'm hoping someone can gleam these "before and after" alignment details and make a recommendation so that I can have it set correctly. TIA, Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) PS, click on the pic to view it upright.

So basically the only thing adjusted was front toe. Return the car for an actual 4 wheel alignment if that’s what you paid for..
Basic adjustments:
Front: Camber minus 0.3 degrees
Castor. 6 to 6.5 degrees
Toe. Plus 0.3 degrees (total)
Rear: Camber. minus 0.5 to 0.75 degrees (both sides equal)
Toe. plus 0.2- 0.25 degrees (total). Large differences in this adjustment
cause squirreliness at speed and
cornering.

Perfect. TYVM. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 23 2018, 05:22 PM
Post #25

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 22 2018, 02:06 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 20 2018, 08:37 PM) *

I thought about it but my understanding is that one needs a level floor. My garage floor slopes front to rear and left to right! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Vinyl floor tiles. A box of those is pretty cheap. A long piece of clear vinyl tubing, some water and food coloring, and you've got a big spirit level. You can measure out how far off you are at the four spots you want your tires to be, then stack up the correct number of tiles to make those four spots level with each other.

If you want things to be repeatable, then paint marks on the floor where the tiles go and how many tiles...

--DD

Dave is 100% correct you do this with ease. As far as other ways, you can pour an epoxy pad that is self leveling. You can do it by building a damn in the area you want it, and then poor the pad. Once done break down the form and build up the edges to make the transition.

To be honest , I do it on my floor, not level and closer than the shop I used to take it to could get it. They just did not care, that is the biggest difference.

Best of luck Kent.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 22 2018, 02:48 PM
Post #26

Been awhile but I (we) nailed it. Thx for everyones input. Shortly before before going on vacation I put the car on the lift and wiggled the front tires to check for slop, per Elliot. The LF had some slack in it so I tightened the bearing. Content that I had found the problem I took it for a quick drive only to discover that it was still present. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) Fast forward to last week. Some asshole ran a stop sign and when I hit the brakes the left from locked up as I slid to a stop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Why would that happen? No worries, I'll add that to my list of "To does". The next day I noticed some oil on the garage floor under the front end! HUH? There are no oil lines in that area. After a quick sniff I discover it is brake fluid. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) Add to this; I had been finding brake fluid atop the reservoir for months. I'd wipe it up and it would reappear. I guess this would have been a warning of imminent failure to the average person but I waived it off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
So, while I had it on the lift to R&R the MC I rotated the front & rear wheels per JCD, John and Travis' suggestion. Took it for a 2 1/2 spin this morning and all is well. Any thoughts as to why it doesn't shake the rear as it did the front end! Anyway, thanks for all the tips. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) I'm enjoying a smooth ride once again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:23 PM