Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seeking advice / opinions on engine . 1.8 ->?
bob's project
post Jun 19 2018, 09:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,067
Region Association: None

Hello All,

I am soliciting opinions on what route I should take this with a project.

I have an all original 74 1.8l car. I had the opportunity last night or purchase a 1974 2.0l engine out of a car including all the injection, harness, ECU....

I now have many interesting options.

1) Convert my car to a stock 2.0l spec to the level it came that way from the factory. (Would this add value to my car?)
2) Upgrade my long block and run the original L-jet. (This is the discreet performance option)
3) Upgrade the 2.0 to something beyond original spec. (This could be really fun?)

I am trying to navigate these these thoughts simultaneously?

1) I usually am always committed to keeping things 100% stock but a bit more HP over the 1.8 would be nice. Is 15hp enough?
2) If I am rebuilding an engine entirely is there a recipe for the defacto fun engine that is reliable and good performing?
3) I absolutely will run L or D jet.

If anyone is willing to share their thoughts I would appreciate it. I am looking forward to the discussion and planning this next winter's project. I have never looked forward to cold, wet, dark west coast winters but this coming one will be fun.

Thanks in advance!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Jun 19 2018, 10:19 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

Several unknowns here.
What is the overall condition of both engines?
Does one or the other need to be rebuilt?
What budget for engine work do you have?

The stock 2.0 if it is in good running condition is plug and play with the D-jet and is a nice power and drivability boost over the 1.8.

The stock 2.0 with the L-jet would also be a nice boost but requires some modifications to get the L-jet installed.

If you are concerned about long term value without the original engine then set aside the original 1.8 for originality. Install the 2.0 and D-jet. Or build the 2.0 into a 2056cc while driving the 1.8.

I have 2 engines for my car and have some of the same decisions.
I have a 1.7 built to 1904cc according to the PO but I don't have specs except he said he increased the stroke and use stock bore of the 1.7. it is not plug and play right now, needs wiring and fuel lines and possibly tuning of the MS FI

I also have a blueprinted "stock" 2.0 that is plug and play with headers.
I know how it runs and what to expect from it.

I plan to go with the 2.0 for now and look into the 1904cc engine.
Maybe I'll put bigger pistons on the longer stroke crank that is in it, if there is a longer stroke crank in it.

Jim

+Quote Post
mbseto
post Jun 19 2018, 10:20 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

To really answer your question, I need to know a little more about you... Put these words in the order of what you enjoy most:
Driving
Collecting
Wrenching
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 20 2018, 01:18 PM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The car is only original once. If it's a low-mileage creampuff in perfect shape, keep the stock engine as is.

If it's been hit and repaired a bunch of times, has a zillion miles, and a motor that started life in some other chassis--YOU'VE STOLEN MY CAR!!! (And it's already a 2-liter.) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) But that frees up your options a whole lot; you can create a "tribute" 2-liter car, or you can build something just for fun.

If the car is nice but not super nice and has been repainted and such, that's where things get tricky. Your comments about usually being "all stock" make me think that you might appreciate making the car a little better but still something that did come from the factory. In which case, a stock 2-liter with D-jet.

If it were me, I'd think about a 2056 with your L-jet....

--DD
+Quote Post
bob's project
post Jun 20 2018, 02:58 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,067
Region Association: None

Thanks everyone for your time replying.

I very much enjoy "wrenching" on my cars. I possibly value it the most over driving and collecting.

The car that I have is a very original example. 55,000 original miles, 75% original paint and completely original everything else. The 1.8L runs likely as good as can be.
I find that this complicates my decision making. As long as I don't make any irreversible changes I would feel okay with them.

The 2.0L engine I am buying is physically complete but I would rebuild it entirely.

I would like to keep the engine rebuild to $5k. I suspect that is sufficient.

If someone wants an all original car I would consider trading as i would very much like to do a full resto.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:03 AM