Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Side shift rear pin locating hole, What to use to drill a new hole?
DaveO90s4
post Jun 23 2018, 01:45 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,935
Region Association: None

Hi all,

For my Corvair conversion I've had to mount to engine & trans assembly about 20mm further rearward. So I have had to lengthen the side shift shifter rod by that same amount (at the rear end of the rod). So now I need to drill a new grub screw locating pin hole in that extended shift rod. I assume I need to drill a tapered hole so to match the taper angle on the locating pin. Is that correct? And if so what special drill bit do I need to buy?

Thanks all
DaveO

PS 2.8L Corvair engine in the 914 is a really nice setup - and a relatively cheap 6 conversion option too.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
theer
post Jun 23 2018, 05:07 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

There is such a thing called tapered end mill, that requires a milling machine. Might be easier to cut off the factory end put the extension in the middle. Or cut the factory end off a second linkage and attach that.
+Quote Post
DaveO90s4
post Jun 23 2018, 02:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,935
Region Association: None

Thanks Theer, tapered end mill it is. Not keen on any cutting, want to use existing hole as a linear alignment mark for my new hole: same orientation just 20mm further aft.

Cheers
DaveO
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:44 PM