Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Collection of 'sensible' improvements
mct
post Jun 23 2018, 07:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,441
Region Association: Germany

Hi fellow 914 enthusiasts,

I'm a newbie to 914s after having restored numerous T2b Westfalia buses, bugs, Karmann Ghias and Golf !s.
I´d like to compile a list of sensible DIY improvements one can make to the 914's suspension, brakes, tranny, motor and wheels.
Nothing wild & crazy, just plug&play stuff to keep it looking stock but behaving 'better' ;-)
Does anyone have suggestions?

THanks,

Michael
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 23 2018, 08:04 AM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Many 914’s came without factory sway bars. The most dramatic improvement I’ve made (besides the 3.2 - 6) was the factory sway bars. You can get by without the rear, but putting the front one makes it a whole different animal.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 23 2018, 08:48 AM
Post #3

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Proper Order hear:

Mechanical sorted - brakes working, steering in good shape, engine and trans.

Sway bar - get one, huge difference

Tires, good ones

Shocks, Bilstein or Koni, skip the KYBs or others.

Suspension bushings

Alignment

Brake pads are all you need here and upgrade the everything else should have been fixed in the get the mechanicals in order.

And (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

+Quote Post
flmont
post Jun 23 2018, 09:07 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

Maybe better gauge/dash lighting
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 23 2018, 09:23 AM
Post #5

Apex killer!

This may not be possible for you as I see you’re in Germany and your inspections are “meaningful.” I replaced all the exterior lighting with LED. The PCB LED panels are available through SPOKE on here I believe. The LED headlights are available through 914rubber.com.

https://www.spokeworksled.com/

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Jun 23 2018, 09:41 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Safety 1st.
+Quote Post
troth
post Jun 23 2018, 09:42 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 20,305

Most likely just placebo, but backdating the exhaust system on my 1.8 to early 2.0 stainless heat exchangers and a tangerine silencer seemed to help the very meager power output of my car.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jun 23 2018, 11:31 AM
Post #8

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

For "non-stock" improvements:

Stainless steel fuel lines.

LED dash and/or headlights (as mentioned).

Electronic-style ignition - some of us are running this, which is a nice improvement over stock dizzy (1-2-3 Distributor).

Maybe upgrade to a 2056 when the time is right? Looks and sounds stock, but it gives a nice little power bump, depending on how it's set up.

Otherwise, as Stephen mentioned, just making sure all the handling and braking pieces are in good working order.

Welcome to 914World. Heidelberg is a beautiful town!
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 23 2018, 11:48 AM
Post #9

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

A case can be made that you can not improve on 'original'. Leave the 914 alone and just enjoy the 914 for what it is. Maintain it for sure, and fix its problems. If you want something more/different - power, smoother shifting, lighting, quieter - then find that in some other car and leave the 914 alone. There are exceptions, but so many times an 'improvement' can cost a lot of money, results in hacking the car, looks out of place, may make it so no one else can repair it, often decreases its value, and for only marginal 'gains'.
+Quote Post
Jazzy
post Jun 23 2018, 12:55 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 21,432
Region Association: Europe

Many of the improvements can be done without harming the originality of the car. Instead of LED lighting the H1 units can be upgraded to Hella H4, just to name something. Same for replacing ignition to an electronic version, low impact and hard to see but a serious gain in drivebility.

+Quote Post
mct
post Jun 23 2018, 03:05 PM
Post #11

Hi,
I‘d like to thank you all for the warm welcome and productive replies - very helpful!
I already have 123ignitions in my T2b and KG Coupé, so I know of them - must warn those of you living in higher altitudes though that they dońt compensate advance for high elevations which has become somewaht of a criticism here in German forums for those driving in the alps (after all, it was a Dutchman that designed the thing - leave it to them to forget about mountains... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )
The sway bar will be second priority after all the important stuff has been attended to - of course.
New Bilsteins already in place, tranny rebuilt, small stuff done, interior good.
I’m currently piecing together a 2.7l T4 NA and a 2.4l T4 turbo. If I were to put either one in (Yes, I know you can‘t turbo a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif) ), what suspension/brake upgrades would you recommend, if any? 200+ hp is difficult to handle (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Thanks,

Michael

P.S.: Shouts out to the people from NorCal! What I wouldn‘t give to take my teener from HMB up 92 and Skyline Blvd.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 23 2018, 04:10 PM
Post #12

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Stock brakes are great with great pads. Issue will come if your driving serious roads in the alps.

Here is what I will say on brakes - get ahold of PMB and see what they say.

You can go slightly bigger up front. with BMW rotors, but to say your getting to remove heat you will want vented rotor up front. Used to be a hub that let you do just that, long gone as far as I know. 4 bolt and vented front rotors nice combo. % lug setup is the quick way to get better brakes, but then it can be $$$
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Jun 23 2018, 05:10 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 23 2018, 10:48 AM) *

A case can be made that you can not improve on 'original'. Leave the 914 alone and just enjoy the 914 for what it is. Maintain it for sure, and fix its problems. If you want something more/different - power, smoother shifting, lighting, quieter - then find that in some other car and leave the 914 alone. There are exceptions, but so many times an 'improvement' can cost a lot of money, results in hacking the car, looks out of place, may make it so no one else can repair it, often decreases its value, and for only marginal 'gains'.

I'd disagree--there are a good number of great upgrades that are totally plug and play with no permanent changes to the car, so easily reversed if the car is to be returned to a purist state--but in some cases why would you even go back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) LEDs for example, drop in optical ignition, battery upgrades to non-acid, shocks/springs etc.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 23 2018, 05:53 PM
Post #14

Apex killer!

QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 23 2018, 07:10 PM) *

Stock brakes are great with great pads. Issue will come if your driving serious roads in the alps.

Here is what I will say on brakes - get ahold of PMB and see what they say.

You can go slightly bigger up front. with BMW rotors, but to say your getting to remove heat you will want vented rotor up front. Used to be a hub that let you do just that, long gone as far as I know. 4 bolt and vented front rotors nice combo. % lug setup is the quick way to get better brakes, but then it can be $$$

The hub that allowed you to go with vented rotors as well as the hub that allowed you to go 5 lug were drawn up by Mueller. You might ask him if he still has the files? I’m using a set in the front of my car...
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 23 2018, 06:40 PM
Post #15

914 Wiring Harnesses

I'd disagree--there are a good number of great upgrades that are totally plug and play with no permanent changes to the car, so easily reversed if the car is to be returned to a purist state--but in some cases why would you even go back.

Don't get me wrong I'm not so much of a purist that I don't appreciate some of the 'upgrades' like a gel battery. And not even I run the original air in the tires...

I run points and always have - never a problem and seeing the electronic box and its wiring in the engine bay just looks wrong to my eye. And that's important to me.

And I don't put mods on in the first place, so there is no pressure to 'reverse' anything. Keeps my life simple.

To each his own...everyone needs to decide for themselves what is important to them...don't hate me for whats important to me.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 23 2018, 07:43 PM
Post #16

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 23 2018, 09:40 PM) *

I'd disagree--there are a good number of great upgrades that are totally plug and play with no permanent changes to the car, so easily reversed if the car is to be returned to a purist state--but in some cases why would you even go back.

Don't get me wrong I'm not so much of a purist that I don't appreciate some of the 'upgrades' like a gel battery. And not even I run the original air in the tires...

I run points and always have - never a problem and seeing the electronic box and its wiring in the engine bay just looks wrong to my eye. And that's important to me.

And I don't put mods on in the first place, so there is no pressure to 'reverse' anything. Keeps my life simple.

To each his own...everyone needs to decide for themselves what is important to them...don't hate me for whats important to me.

I appreciate Jeff's counterpoint. Which may sound strange considering my car (see picture). Not many of these cars are stone stock. Most have been hacked away at in one way or another. In the future, the really valuable cars will be the original ones.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 23 2018, 09:09 PM
Post #17

914 Wiring Harnesses

Thanks Rob. I LOVE your car BTW... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jun 23 2018, 09:12 PM
Post #18

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 23 2018, 05:40 PM) *

I understand this sentiment, & agree 100% ...on the other hand Ive always wondered if I could improve on [insert dream sequence] (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
My solution, own two (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) My Creamsicle to appreciate for the time capsule it is and the other to mod & "improve" as my whim and imagination see fit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Jun 23 2018, 10:19 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 6,794

it would be great to see photos and of the car and I agree to each there own. Make it what you want it to be.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
mct
post Jun 24 2018, 11:36 AM
Post #20

As requested: photos of the car...

Michael

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:16 AM