Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is the best rim for Autcrossing, On a budget
xperu
post Jun 23 2018, 04:41 PM
Post #1

TEXAS

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,213
Region Association: None

I'm on a budget, so I'm wanting to find out what kind of rims I can run on my car. I am an armature at this, so I am not going to be running hot around the cones. Based on my current experience and talent with AC, my friend told me to go with stock steelies. Open to any advice. Thanks Mike Kelly
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jun 23 2018, 06:14 PM
Post #2

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Save your money and learn to drive first. Enter as many events as possible.
+Quote Post
mobymutt
post Jun 23 2018, 07:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 16,770
Region Association: Canada

Just run whatever rims you already have. I think good tires would be a much better investment.
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Jun 24 2018, 02:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yes, stock rims are fine. And like mobymutt said performance tires a much better investment. I ran stock 5 1/2 rims with low profile tires (195-50) for years with great results.
+Quote Post
xperu
post Jun 26 2018, 08:38 PM
Post #5

TEXAS

Thanks for the reality check. Mike Kelly
+Quote Post
xperu
post Jul 2 2018, 05:11 PM
Post #6

TEXAS

QUOTE(xperu @ Jun 23 2018, 05:41 PM) *

I'm on a budget, so I'm wanting to find out what kind of rims I can run on my car. I am an armature at this, so I am not going to be running hot around the cones. Based on my current experience and talent with AC, my friend told me to go with stock steelies. Open to any advice. Thanks Mike Kelly

I wanted to refresh this thread by maybe qualifying my question.
several years ago I read a thread that stated "never autocross on Riviera's". Currently I have Empi 8 spokes mounted, but I do have a set of fake 4 bolt Fuch's I bought a few years ago. So do you think the Empi's are good enough, or should I mount the Fuchs. Your opinions are very welcome.
If I am to mount new tires as suggestion, any recommendation for an novis AC. The car is driven very little on the road. Mike Kelly
+Quote Post
mobymutt
post Jul 2 2018, 07:06 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,770
Region Association: Canada

I'm driving some kind of Empi knock-offs. I only have a 1.8L engine, so I can't imagine I could possibly damage them.
+Quote Post
Racer
post Jul 11 2018, 08:10 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I ran steel wheels for many years. One thing to be mindful, especially as skills increase and grippy tires are used, is cracks forming, especially near the lug bolts. I had a set (all 4 wheels) develop cracks after years of use. And they are older now than when I was using them.
+Quote Post
theer
post Jul 11 2018, 09:35 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(xperu @ Jul 2 2018, 07:11 PM) *

If I am to mount new tires as suggestion, any recommendation for an novis AC. The car is driven very little on the road. Mike Kelly

There are some very good tires out there - the problem will be finding them in sizes that will fit your rims.

Search tirerack for the size you want and pay attention to the treadwear number. For street legal tires, anything under 200 will be very sticky and still very drivable on the road.

Here's a search for 205-50/15's - technically not the "right" size (the speedo will read faster than actual), but probably a good size for AX. We race the Dunlop Direzza's on our 944 Lemons car.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchRe...rearDiameter=17

+Quote Post
mlindner
post Jul 22 2018, 01:27 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

As I mentioned, I ran 195-50's......lowers the whole gear stack, making 3rd gear possible on a lot of auto-crosses. Best, mark
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jul 23 2018, 03:00 PM
Post #11

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

In case not mentioned yet, also be sure to check any applicable rules/classifications before you potentially go larger on wheels/tires. You might suddenly bump into a modified class where things get way more challenging and expensive in a hurry.
+Quote Post
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
post Jul 23 2018, 04:08 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 12,150
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I had cracked Riviera's on my car when I bought it- found when getting an alignment done. This was about 1999-2000. Not sure if they were aftermarket or not but any of the replica wheels deserve a check. There used to be some very thin fuch replica's that had issues as well.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 26 2018, 12:36 PM
Post #13

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 23 2018, 09:14 PM) *

^^^
This is the best advice you’ve gotten, and from a Florida State Autocross Champion none the less. He drives the lightest 914 known to man so...

Your goal is to drive a slow car fast. If you can accomplish that, you’ll do what I do. I regularly come in 2nd or 3rd fastest time of the day. I get beaten by race tires and dedicated cars. More important is who is slower. The twin turbos, the GT3’s, the Boxsters and the Cayman. Autocross isn’t totally about the car. The car has to be well maintained but it’s up to you to make it go fast. You have a lot of tuning to do on the ‘nut behind the wheel’ before you worry about tires, wheels, sway bars, intakes, or any of those things. Just learning the line is everything...
+Quote Post
914z
post Sep 25 2018, 11:38 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,737

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 26 2018, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 23 2018, 09:14 PM) *

^^^
This is the best advice you’ve gotten, and from a Florida State Autocross Champion none the less. He drives the lightest 914 known to man so...

Your goal is to drive a slow car fast. If you can accomplish that, you’ll do what I do. I regularly come in 2nd or 3rd fastest time of the day. I get beaten by race tires and dedicated cars. More important is who is slower. The twin turbos, the GT3’s, the Boxsters and the Cayman. Autocross isn’t totally about the car. The car has to be well maintained but it’s up to you to make it go fast. You have a lot of tuning to do on the ‘nut behind the wheel’ before you worry about tires, wheels, sway bars, intakes, or any of those things. Just learning the line is everything...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:05 PM