Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Overthinking frunk reinforcement install, Advice on painting prep
bbrock
post Jun 23 2018, 07:39 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Alright, I know I'm overthinking this but it's driving me crazy. I need to reinstall my front trunk reinforcement on my rustoration build soon and originally planned to spray the backs of the reinforcement brackets and the area under the headlight buckets with 2K primer while everything was open and accessible. Then I would spray color in there as best I can when I do the rest of the chassis which won't be for several months. The primer needs to be top-coated within two weeks without having to scuff sand, but once the pieces are welded in, sanding in there won't be possible. So what do you all think is the best way to proceed for best long term rust protection and being able to get color in that recess so it looks factory correct? Maybe just spray the backs of the reinforcement brackets now and save the rest for later even though it is a PITA to get paint in there? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 24 2018, 06:03 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Prime the whole thing. Spray color on the parts you won't be able to get to and weld in.. Then scuff and spray when you get to that point with the car. Just what I would do.
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Jun 24 2018, 06:48 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,986
Region Association: None

if you can't see the parts without color, why even worry about it?

if it bugs you that much, paint it like stated above, or get a flexible paint wand
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 24 2018, 08:27 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Thanks guys. I wasn't planning to buy color and clear until I got closer to ready to paint (with luck, this fall) so hadn't considered the option of spraying color now. But will think about it.

There is an older thread about spraying this difficult area with a good pic illustrating my delima. The only area that can't be seen is the surface on the back side of the two-holed brace. The rest of the area is hard to see, but you'll be able to tell if there's color in the right light or if you crane your neck enough. Since I'm hoping to get as close to a "factory fresh" look as my limited skills will allow, it would bug me.

As long as I knew I could get good coverage in there after parts are welded in, I wouldn't worry. Anyone have a recommendation on a reasonably placed wand that might help?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-3574-1471209911.jpg)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 24 2018, 09:15 AM
Post #5

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Go with a single stage on the inside pieces, no reason to clear the inside you can get single and base clears in matching colors. Singles make it so much easier to work with on interior sections.

Also you will get burn off and the paint can burn around your weld so keep the heat down, you will want to take your time, weld in the open air, and still wear a respirator. Have a good leather glove you can use to crush any flare ups that might come up.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:02 AM