Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Diesel build....
Porschef
post Sep 3 2018, 06:07 AM
Post #81

How you doin'

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Really impressed with the conversion, it seems to fit so well in the bay. I'm curious to see how your radiator setup works.

Will the engine cover fit in there? It's not that important, it's kinda big, but would serve to really tidy up the install.

Can't wait to see how this all works out for you, great build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Sep 3 2018, 05:16 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 20,960
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Porschef @ Sep 3 2018, 08:07 AM) *

Really impressed with the conversion, it seems to fit so well in the bay. I'm curious to see how your radiator setup works.

Will the engine cover fit in there? It's not that important, it's kinda big, but would serve to really tidy up the install.

Can't wait to see how this all works out for you, great build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I think there's a little misunderstanding about what engine this is.
This is an AAZ 1.9 indirect injection diesel that was never sold in the states as far as I know. Sold for about 5 years in Canada ending in '98. no computer control, straight mechanical fuel injection. One wire on a fuel shutoff solenoid to make it run. NOT the TDI that they sold a little later here and in the US. This engine came as you see it here, no cover.
Not sure if the cover would fit the engine but probably. Engine shares SOME parts with the later TDI. I like it open and easy to get at everything anyway!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Sep 4 2018, 06:52 PM
Post #83

Road block....
Hooking fuel lines. No return line with previous carbureted 2 litre.
removed electric pump under the tank, direct connect from tank to the line to the back of the car.
Went to hook the return line to the other nipple on the bottom of the tank... plugged off.
Screwed it out of the tank. I don't think the return on the diesel should go into the bottom, it should probably dump in the top of the tank. I think I'll need to make a new return with a pipe all the way to the top of the tank. Anyone know what size rubbers I need to put this back together? Or is this even stock on these tanks? First time I've had the tank out.Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Sep 8 2018, 02:56 PM
Post #84

Had it fired up today but the injection pump ran out of fuel before the system filled. Done for today. Need to get the wheels back on, set it on the ground, fill the tank to the top with diesel and bleed the system.
I have a throttle cable issue... I'd like to have a cable about a foot longer with about an inch more sticking out of the housing. It's hooked but only just. And it's starting to fray... Anyone this side of the border know a good source for cables? And is there a stock cable for something else that fits my wants?? Or am I looking at a custom cable?
The other option is to blacksmith my cable mounting point and/or use the end of the Jetta cable hooked to the Porsche cable.... messy.Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 8 2018, 03:58 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Terrycable will make you one. I had one made a foot longer than stock. Just give them a call and tell them what you want. I think it's (800) 854-4691.
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Sep 8 2018, 04:17 PM
Post #86

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 8 2018, 05:58 PM) *

Terrycable will make you one. I had one made a foot longer than stock. Just give them a call and tell them what you want. I think it's (800) 854-4691.

Thanks but hoping to find something this side of the border... and close. Dealing with Canada customs is just aggravating. London/Windsor/Sarnia area if possible. Will call them if I don't find anything close though!
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Sep 9 2018, 06:00 PM
Post #87

IT'S ALIVE!!

https://youtu.be/6BwvBVNTJbQ
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Sep 9 2018, 06:18 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

Cool...but we need something longer than six seconds!!
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Sep 9 2018, 06:34 PM
Post #89

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Sep 9 2018, 08:18 PM) *

Cool...but we need something longer than six seconds!!

Give me a day or two. Ran it for 20 minutes or so, didn't get hot. Did find an oil leak, apparently I didn't screw the oil pressure sensor in the back of the head tight enough. Oil pressure light works, stock temp gauge hooked to VW sender in water system shows jus over 1/2 when I measured 165 or so on the head. All good! Need to do some garage cleanup and put the trunk lid back on, seats back in... Needs to get pulled outside, washed, and a proper test drive as soon as that happens. Want to get it to the exhaust shop later this week and get rid of the stack..... but my kid just wants to put a 3 inch pipe straight up with a rain cap.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Sep 9 2018, 07:16 PM
Post #90

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

I say rock the stack, just except it, and move on. Or have the exhaust shop plumb it as a cut out, and flip a switch and go out the stack.

I used to auto-x a MK3 TDI, and would have to tell the flag man to step back, because my launches where defiantly rolling coal.

Even heard the announcer the the onlookers, yes that car is a diesel, and yes that cloud is normal.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 9 2018, 07:42 PM
Post #91

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

For the throttle, perhaps you could take inspiration from the 911 and 914-6, and fabricate a bellcrank linkage? You ought to be able to find a good place for the bellcrank, then a few rods and rod ends, and you can use the stock cable to run that...

--DD
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Sep 10 2018, 03:21 AM
Post #92

Too much coal too.... Engine would already do that, but I think it's worse with the bigger turbo. Harder to spool.... Need to get that under control. Might wind up going back to the smaller turbo.
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Sep 10 2018, 04:45 PM
Post #93

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 9 2018, 09:42 PM) *

For the throttle, perhaps you could take inspiration from the 911 and 914-6, and fabricate a bellcrank linkage? You ought to be able to find a good place for the bellcrank, then a few rods and rod ends, and you can use the stock cable to run that...

--DD

Maybe.... have to do some looking at it.
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Sep 11 2018, 06:37 PM
Post #94

Had it out for a drive for 20 minutes or so, got a few issues left.

1)HAVE to do the throttle cable, it's turned so tight it's binding up. Added a return spring so it is drivable but not a permanent solution. Found a local supplier but I'm assuming I need exact measurements for him.... I can easily figure out how much to add but might need to pull the old cable for measurements... unless someone can tell me stock length of the housing and stock length of the cable? Thread size on the pedal end?

2) Going to wind up using the radiator fan more than I was hoping for, but it will work as is where is with the fan running. Honda civic rad and the fan that came with it doing the trick even with the bad placement.

3) Going for exhaust Thursday. Even straight up right behind the window the car is quieter than it was with the 4 into one off heater boxes that it came with. Probably going to try a straight pipe out the back to start with and see if I can live with it.

4) Need to plumb the crankcase vent somewhere.... spitting a little oil out. Hoping to find an old style filter to put on the end of the hose. Don't really want to plumb it into the air intake unless I have to. Not worried about an emissions test on this car here.

Pulls better than the air cooled motor did! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Sep 15 2018, 04:06 PM
Post #95

First time out at the autocross with the diesel. A little overfueled.... need to put the smaller turbo back on, too much lag.Attached Image
37C ambient temperature on the way home... (99F). Couldn't run past about 60 mph without the overflow on the rad starting to burp. Was running straight water to make sure I had no leaks. Going to switch to proper coolant but I'm assuming I need to at least go to a better fan. Anyone know something that is a direct swap on the 90's Honda civic rad that works better? I'm going to try a better fan before I try to put a bigger rad in. I like the way everything fits now.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Sep 18 2018, 01:42 PM
Post #96

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(PatrickB @ Sep 15 2018, 06:06 PM) *

First time out at the autocross with the diesel. A little overfueled.... need to put the smaller turbo back on, too much lag.Attached Image
37C ambient temperature on the way home... (99F). Couldn't run past about 60 mph without the overflow on the rad starting to burp. Was running straight water to make sure I had no leaks. Going to switch to proper coolant but I'm assuming I need to at least go to a better fan. Anyone know something that is a direct swap on the 90's Honda civic rad that works better? I'm going to try a better fan before I try to put a bigger rad in. I like the way everything fits now.

Holy shit. I am experiencing simultaneous awe and hilarity. Very cool!
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Sep 18 2018, 04:30 PM
Post #97

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 18 2018, 03:42 PM) *

QUOTE(PatrickB @ Sep 15 2018, 06:06 PM) *

Holy shit. I am experiencing simultaneous awe and hilarity. Very cool!

Thanks! I'm happy with the progress so far. More work to do yet though. Dropped the throttle cable off tonight at a custom place not far away... hoping they can make me a new one about a foot longer with a different end at the engine end of the cable. Picked up an adaptor to hook the diesel's alternator up to run the factory tach, should help with autocrossing. I know the engine pretty well from putting a lot of miles on it in another car, but it sounds different in this car and with a different turbo. Guessing too much at rpms.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Sep 18 2018, 06:57 PM
Post #98

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

lots of Civic Rads that are of "better" quality by nature, but they might not be the best quality by manufacturing process.

So I would just look for an All Aluminum Radiator that fits the donor vehicle your radiator came from.

Something like this

But then you can also find them on Ebay and Amazon all day long, just from a less know manufacturer.
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Sep 19 2018, 06:40 PM
Post #99

Got the tach working tonight with the help of an adaptor box from Dakota digital. takes signal from the w terminal on the alternator and converts it to run the 4 cyl VDO gas tach. Adjustable.... I think it's set close. Need to get it back out ont he road to check. Used to show about 2800 at 60 mph so I'm just going to adjust until it matches that. Don't know if 60 on the guage is actually 60... but it will be close enough to suit me.

Didn't think it was working at first... but then I remembered that standard practice in the old jetta used to be to blip the throttle once to make the alternator kick in. Problem solved!
Now waiting for a throttle cable. MIGHT have it back out this weekend.
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Jul 6 2019, 05:14 PM
Post #100

Should update this thread. Got the throttle cable, works like acharm. Did a few more autocross events last fall. Parked this year so far. trying to get ready for the big event at Mosport... we'll see.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:11 AM