Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

30 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Widebody LS6 rebuild., long time 914 world car desgned and built by B. massaged and refined by Paul, now entrusted to me to rebuild and repair the front end and make my own.
dan10101
post Jul 22 2018, 05:43 PM
Post #101

TORQUE-o-holic

Group: Members
Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 22 2018, 03:22 PM) *

My new vote is for drug dealer green metal flake. Heavy 1070's disco speed boat metal flake.

You will be unique and the only 914 ever painted this color. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Hell, put some 26" dubs on it too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Mike, I like you, but I sense that you've gone off on the whole what color will it be discussion. Did you imbibe in some gin and tonics early this afternoon?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 22 2018, 05:48 PM
Post #102

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Jul 22 2018, 02:12 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 22 2018, 01:25 PM) *

I vote for Phoenix Red

That's like "Soylent Green is PEOPLE!"

"Phoenix Red is ORANGE!" said everyone everywhere.

It also happens to be the same color as my car. Or well at least what my Vin says it is (it's actually painted Hugger Orange)

For some reason dad has something against Orange for his cars and has this affinity towards RED.

So Dad, let's see what's been occupying your time and what the 914 is replacing? I know your just about to start working on it.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 22 2018, 07:33 PM
Post #103

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Jul 22 2018, 04:43 PM) *

My new vote is for drug dealer green metal flake. Heavy 1070's disco speed boat metal flake.

You will be unique and the only 914 ever painted this color. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Mike, I like you, but I sense that you've gone off on the whole what color will it be discussion. Did you imbibe in some gin and tonics early this afternoon?

Actually, margaritas... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

I get it. You're afraid if you go heavy metallic green you will get profiled as the old man king pin of the cartel. I understand... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jul 22 2018, 09:12 PM
Post #104

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 22 2018, 06:33 PM) *

I get it. You're afraid if you go heavy metallic green you will get profiled as the old man king pin of the cartel. I understand... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm probably the only person in the Rogue valley that isn't using his 4 acres growing weed. Well, i grow weeds, but not Weed.

+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jul 22 2018, 09:20 PM
Post #105

TORQUE-o-holic

Ok here's the video you've all been waiting for. Well, a couple of you, ...at least one of you....

I finally got the BMW off the rack so i could put the Porsche on it and check it out from underneath.
https://youtu.be/5pAHh21VGpw

To answer Andrews question.
I'm replacing a 2001 BMW 330ci that once looked like this.
Attached Image

and now looks like this after going flipity flopety...
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 22 2018, 10:06 PM
Post #106

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Just another opinion that's worth nothing, but to keep this true to the OG and put your touch on it... Keep the paint scheme and replace the highlights with YOUR color. Don't do a full color change.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 22 2018, 10:39 PM
Post #107

Resident Electrician

Looking at the video. You should buy a new tub. It will be cheaper in the long run just to transfer the drivetrain over. Look like you may need to replace from the doors forward.

Cheaper and faster to transfer everything into a good body.
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jul 22 2018, 10:56 PM
Post #108

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 22 2018, 09:39 PM) *

Looking at the video. You should buy a new tub. It will be cheaper in the long run just to transfer the drivetrain over. Look like you may need to replace from the doors forward.

Unfortunately, this is on a budget that is likely to double before I even get started. The rear fenders are bonded to the tub. It would be near impossible to change those and too expensive start over. I'll make it work. My fall back is to go tube frame on the front and tie it into the roll cage.
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jul 22 2018, 11:27 PM
Post #109

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 22 2018, 09:06 PM) *

Just another opinion that's worth nothing, but to keep this true to the OG and put your touch on it... Keep the paint scheme and replace the highlights with YOUR color. Don't do a full color change.

Rand,
Honestly, I'm leaning that way. But with the new information tonight about additional bodywork needed, It may take a full repaint. If that happens all bets are off.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 22 2018, 11:50 PM
Post #110

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

That's about what I was expecting body wise. And one reason I keep saying we need to pull it out is to get that front end back into alignment and not just move sheet metal.

I see a straight donor chassis will leave you with not only good measurements to pull from but good steel.

Even if you cut everything off and replaced I still think it needs some pulls to bring the tension out of the chassis. And once you have a good few pulls out you might find that it's not so bad.

I'll give you a call tomorrow after work on my drive home.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 23 2018, 12:26 AM
Post #111

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 22 2018, 07:33 PM) *

I thought it was DOPE!! Or maybe they just deal dope.... I get those confused... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 23 2018, 06:53 AM
Post #112

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Congrats...welcome to the club.

Cracker
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jul 23 2018, 02:20 PM
Post #113

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 23 2018, 05:53 AM) *

Congrats...welcome to the club.

Cracker

Thanks

That's, hmm quite a stable you have there...
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 23 2018, 09:43 PM
Post #114

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Jul 22 2018, 09:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 22 2018, 09:39 PM) *

Unfortunately, this is on a budget that is likely to double before I even get started. The rear fenders are bonded to the tub. It would be near impossible to change those and too expensive start over. I'll make it work. My fall back is to go tube frame on the front and tie it into the roll cage.

Long term the cheaper route is a new tub. It's also faster to completion.

You can pull and push yourself but eventually it will need to go on a frame bench. To do that you have to remove all the suspension and drivetrain. You have to do this with a new tub as well. No loss in time or money yet. But the frame bench will cost you the same as a tub. Frame straight still needs a bunch of welding and patch panels. A good tub needs less work(=less money). Paint is the same cost. The sheridan body will cost you but you already need a front end. You would have to buy the rear stuff.

End result is a better chassis for about the same cost +/-...

Plus you could have the entire unibody slightly tweaked. Look for the thread when Sir Andy corner balanced his bent tub. One wheel was all jacked up in the air. All due to a slight bend in the unibody. He had to cut his cage out to fix it. Rapid deceleration (wreck) moves metal all over the place and you might not see it.

Think long term and not short term payouts. I know you are dying to carve corners in this thing but if it's unstable at speed because it's bent, it could be your last drive...
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jul 23 2018, 09:53 PM
Post #115

TORQUE-o-holic

Well, you're full of cheery thoughts...
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 23 2018, 11:38 PM
Post #116

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Jul 23 2018, 08:53 PM) *

Well, you're full of cheery thoughts...

I'm a pragmatist. I've built a ton of cars and made plenty of bad choices...

I think both options is a close wash in cost. New tub gets you driving with less overall effort and disappointment.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 24 2018, 06:25 AM
Post #117

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Ha! Definitely too many (at once) with my space limitations!

Regarding your project - I too have some thoughts. I am not trying to be a "Debbie Downer" but I also would not want you to kill yourself in an ill-handling car!

I would encourage you to strongly consider all of your options before doing anything but parking your car in the garage at this point. For what its worth, which is probably not much, I am more than happy to discuss what I have learned over the years with you - PM me your contact info if interested.

My experience with adding substantial power to a teener and the challenge of making the package work properly leads me to believe a new chassis would be the best decision (at least to strongly consider).

From what I have seen over the years, your car was never finely tuned to adequately perform - not a poke - just reality. Repairing the chassis, as Mike has stated, would require a precise and enormous effort with no guarantees of the desired result. I realize all of these projects have "budgets" but to me - you essentially purchased a drivetrain - not so much a car.

If I were in your shoes, I would have budgeted for a newly prepped chassis with a cage that ties into the windshield frame (A-pillar). Once a 914 has over 400 hp (and more importantly torque), the benefit of further strengthening the very weak center section of the car is paramount. Night and day difference in my experience - I have gone both ways on a few different teener projects.

As a few can attest, a properly balanced build will pay huge dividends in the end. My car for instance, is remarkably tame and balanced with a good margin of increased power beyond your project. A teener can be built to be both a monster and pussy cat but it just doesn't happen throwing parts together.

Best wishes!

Cracker

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Jul 23 2018, 04:20 PM) *

That's, hmm quite a stable you have there...
+Quote Post
My 914
post Jul 24 2018, 07:53 AM
Post #118

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I think this is some excellent advice.
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Jul 24 2018, 08:15 AM
Post #119

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669
Region Association: Southern California

Having a V8 914 in the past, I also agree with Tony.

It's obvious that you have some solid feedback from some knowledgeable experienced members here. You have a lot of thinking to do. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I understand budget constraints but I have never finished a car within budget. Shit happens and Murphy rears his head at every opportunity.

In either case, you purchased a sweet project, just relax and enjoy the journey.

I'm looking forward to what you decide.

Oscar

+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jul 24 2018, 10:15 AM
Post #120

TORQUE-o-holic

Thanks for all your thoughts, but enough talk about body swaps. You guys are really bringing me down.
There is so much work done to this body/chassis, I just don't want to start over.

This car is fixable. And it will be right when its done.

All that said, I am getting a donor car. And I've ordered my Sheridan front end.
Things could change as I get down the road a bit as the car itself will determine how the repair is done. I just need it to talk to me a bit, right now I think it's still in shock...

+Quote Post

30 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 05:22 PM