Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

30 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Widebody LS6 rebuild., long time 914 world car desgned and built by B. massaged and refined by Paul, now entrusted to me to rebuild and repair the front end and make my own.
sixnotfour
post Feb 11 2019, 06:34 PM
Post #361

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

No disagreement...Dan's and the previous owner was ..ya it was on my Option list....Me , I love my tilton pedal assembley... But talk of budget and down the road Is my main Concern...For Dan..therefore the before mentioned options..that are not cobbled together...his most cost effective is to buy the 22 0r 23 masters... but budget allowing the single pedal mount with dual cylinders is best... $$
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Zippy69
post Feb 11 2019, 08:30 PM
Post #362

Member No.: 14,276
Region Association: None

Dan,

The main reason I switched out the cobbeled together/modified 914 pedal assembly that was in the car in the first place for a Wilwood 2 pedal assembly was because it wasn't allowing enough throw for the clutch. Hydraulic ratios were wrong in master and slave. 930 release arm parts were worn out. Clutch disc was wrong. Slave cylinder mounting was wrong allowing side loading... All of this and more resulted in pedal effort being maxed out so the builders answer was to weld on a huge brake pedal to the clutch pedal arm and triangulate the clutch pedal assembly in efforts to take the load. This just served to crack the floor allowing for more slop into the system. The builder car went thru many clutches as a result of the clutch not entirely disengaging. I went thru a few iterations myself prior to totally re-engineering the entire clutch system. Just be careful whatever pedal system that you decide on that the clutch will have enough throw and is adjusted properly. Any slop in the clutch will not allow it to do it's job.

BTW As mentioned in my previous post...I am in agreement for safety dual masters on brake system is a very good idea. The reason it was on my "optional" list (probably a bad choice of words) is because we were concentrating on rebuilding many other systems in the car to get it running properly and I just never got to it. Safety is why we chose Wilwood pedal and compact master assembly, routed hydraulic brake lines inside the car in the tunnel instead of under the floor like it was originally routed by the builder. Additionally we re redid all brake fittings/lines and capped this with a carbon skid plate that did it's job protecting the brake system in the accident.

Cheers,
Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 11 2019, 08:55 PM
Post #363

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

I should've used a different word...I didn't mean to insult. I like your alternate description Paul - modified. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

T
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Feb 12 2019, 01:47 AM
Post #364

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Zippy69 @ Feb 11 2019, 06:30 PM) *

Dan,

The main reason I switched out the cobbeled together/modified 914 pedal assembly that was in the car in the first place for a Wilwood 2 pedal assembly was because it wasn't allowing enough throw for the clutch. Hydraulic ratios were wrong in master and slave. 930 release arm parts were worn out. Clutch disc was wrong. Slave cylinder mounting was wrong allowing side loading... All of this and more resulted in pedal effort being maxed out so the builders answer was to weld on a huge brake pedal to the clutch pedal arm and triangulate the clutch pedal assembly in efforts to take the load. This just served to crack the floor allowing for more slop into the system. The builder car went thru many clutches as a result of the clutch not entirely disengaging. I went thru a few iterations myself prior to totally re-engineering the entire clutch system. Just be careful whatever pedal system that you decide on that the clutch will have enough throw and is adjusted properly. Any slop in the clutch will not allow it to do it's job.

BTW As mentioned in my previous post...I am in agreement for safety dual masters on brake system is a very good idea. The reason it was on my "optional" list (probably a bad choice of words) is because we were concentrating on rebuilding many other systems in the car to get it running properly and I just never got to it. Safety is why we chose Wilwood pedal and compact master assembly, routed hydraulic brake lines inside the car in the tunnel instead of under the floor like it was originally routed by the builder. Additionally we re redid all brake fittings/lines and capped this with a carbon skid plate that did it's job protecting the brake system in the accident.

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks Paul.
I will pay close attention the the clutch in whatever solution I end up with.
A safe brake system is a must.
+Quote Post
Zippy69
post Feb 12 2019, 11:31 AM
Post #365

Member No.: 14,276
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 11 2019, 06:55 PM) *

I should've used a different word...I didn't mean to insult. I like your alternate description Paul - modified. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

T

No Offense taken.

I prefer to call this pedal assembly cobbled together lol

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Feb 15 2019, 10:57 PM
Post #366

TORQUE-o-holic

I promised more pictures.

So here is the inner fenders. One has a seam down the front side of the sway bar bushing. The other has some connecting welds, but is basically one solid piece. I choose to not grind them down perfectly as it would weaken the already thin sheetmetal. I made several decisions for strength rather than concours perfection. (plus I'm lazy)...
Attached Image
Attached Image

Prior to assembly I decided to paint the frunk prior to assembly like normal people. For some sily reason I thought I was going to paint the whole front end altogether. But, that would require fully disassembling the many bits in the frunk. (again, I'm lazy.)
Attached Image

See the next post for more pictures..
+Quote Post
djway
post Feb 15 2019, 11:13 PM
Post #367

Member No.: 19,266
Region Association: Southern California

Spray with heavy coats of truck bedliner. This will protect the wheel well from chipping, will quiet the car, and it will help hide the seams.
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Feb 15 2019, 11:17 PM
Post #368

TORQUE-o-holic

Part 2

I began reassembly!!!

The front section is almost ready. (these pictures are a few hours behind)

Attached Image
Attached Image

I finished up the rear end, starter, wiring, drive shafts, parking brake cable(that was fun). Rear calipers. I didn't install the mufflers, I have to decide if runing it without the mufflers is more important than being able to hear to motor should something go wrong. I still need to tune it up, but that is actually minor stuff.
Attached Image

I also removed the back half of the vinyl graphics. I'll likely remove the right side as well and just leave the stripes for now. I started using an eraser wheel on a drill, but took a suggestion from a friend and used a heat gun. It worked well, but it's very fine line between too hot and not hot enough.
Attached Image

I picked up the repaired radiator today, (it was bent up a bit)
So I'll drill some mounting holes and work on placement along with the GT40 air exit ramp.

+Quote Post
dan10101
post Feb 15 2019, 11:32 PM
Post #369

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(djway @ Feb 15 2019, 09:13 PM) *

Spray with heavy coats of truck bedliner. This will protect the wheel well from chipping, will quiet the car, and it will help hide the seams.

I'm pretty sure that's what was on there before. I was actually thinking of doing the undercarriage in white, But Papa Smurf's thread made much more sense to do it in black to hide the true purpose.
+Quote Post
djway
post Feb 16 2019, 01:25 AM
Post #370

Member No.: 19,266

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Feb 15 2019, 09:32 PM) *

I'm pretty sure that's what was on there before. I was actually thinking of doing the undercarriage in white, But Papa Smurf's thread made much more sense to do it in black to hide the true purpose.

You can get Upol Raptor in white which what I used
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 16 2019, 04:03 PM
Post #371

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Love the progress!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
My 914
post Feb 16 2019, 04:47 PM
Post #372

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Feb 16 2019, 01:32 AM) *

I think black will look good under a white car.
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Feb 16 2019, 07:33 PM
Post #373

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 16 2019, 02:03 PM) *

Love the progress!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Me too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

I installed the radiator and fans today. I also test fit the GT scoop. I'll need to fab up some trim pieces to funnel the air thru the radiator. Also I need to test fit the hood to make sure it clears. The gas tank is in I'll need to make sure the hoses are playing nice under it all.

Progress is good...

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 16 2019, 11:47 PM
Post #374

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post Feb 17 2019, 11:32 AM
Post #375

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

Great progress with your car. May she run straight and true for you. Nice work!!

Bob B
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 18 2019, 02:15 PM
Post #376

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

Wow Dan that radiator has a nice profile. Has to be pretty short to fit between the buckets upright like that? What are its dimensions? That would save me a good 6-8" of space. I'd actually have a front trunk I could use a bit that way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) . I picked up another radiator I will play with some. Still waiting to get my car back so can't do much with it now. Just sitting on the shelf in a box
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 18 2019, 02:44 PM
Post #377

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Nice work. Looks good.

Yea, If you don't mind posting the radiator info, it would be appreciated. Thanks
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Feb 18 2019, 06:33 PM
Post #378

TORQUE-o-holic

Radiator is custom from Howe Racing Enterprises. So you can see why I chose to repair rather than replace. Plus it reportedly does a great job.

It's 12.25 tall. 30" wide. The core is 2.5" wide and the tanks are a bit over 3" . It is a dual pass radiator with the start and finish on the pass side. It could possibly be up to 2" wider but not necessary.

I need to fab up some air block off plates to keep the air going only thru the radiator. The GT40 scoop seems to fit well and still give lots of room for the battery and other accessories.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 19 2019, 10:34 AM
Post #379

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Looking good Dan!

Regarding "cooling" and line sizing...since the radiator is on-topic. I run 1" OD supply/return; run wide open for extended time and run sufficiently adequate temps. Just a little info for others doing conversions...

T
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Feb 19 2019, 12:00 PM
Post #380

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 19 2019, 08:34 AM) *

Looking good Dan!

Regarding "cooling" and line sizing...since the radiator is on-topic. I run 1" OD supply/return; run wide open for extended time and run sufficiently adequate temps. Just a little info for others doing conversions...

T

Thanks Tony. That's what this is all about.

Hey, do you have pictures of your seat mod for more headroom?

I think I have enough by mounting the seat directly to the floor, but I like to explore options.
+Quote Post

30 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:03 PM