Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

30 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Widebody LS6 rebuild., long time 914 world car desgned and built by B. massaged and refined by Paul, now entrusted to me to rebuild and repair the front end and make my own.
sixnotfour
post Feb 21 2019, 03:21 PM
Post #401

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Feb 21 2019, 02:10 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 21 2019, 08:25 AM) *

fixed seat, with lots of mini move options, no rear pivot mount.. kids these days

That looks like it would be relatively easy to get in and out.
So it eliminates the rear pivot mount and bolts further back directly to the floorboard?
Makes it easier to start the bolts. Front mount too. I may be remaking my seat mounts...

yes there is a threaded flat bar welded across the back..to the floor
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Mar 5 2019, 01:13 AM
Post #402

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

A lot has happened.

Finished up the seats, pedals and master cylinders. Made new brake hard lines to plumb in 2 master cylinders. Bled front and back brakes.

I finished the prep work to make ready to attach the fiberglass front end. Fabbed up a mounting piece near the drivers door hinge using the stock fender piece. Then I cleaned off what I thought was fiberglass pieces on the passenger side same piece. However it was combination of the remainder of the fiberglass fender graduating to bondo to meet he fender edge. I'll be putting it back together with DTUZ fasteners initially. After a bit of time I'll determine if I want to bond it on permanently.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Did a bit of body work on the cowl to ready for the next step.

Primed the windshield seat and a buddy and I dropped the used windshield into place.
Attached Image

I plumbed the radiator, fuel tank and pump and wired the frunk. Still more wiring troubleshooting to do. The headlights always want to pop up with power applied. Plus I need to wire in the turn signals.
Attached Image
I re-positioned the radiator mounting so that the GT40 scoop would sit correctly. It's now mounted in place and the hood closes with the stock latch as well as the 2 Aux latches.
Attached Image
After Andrew got his 914 outlaw running this weekend, I got excited to try mine.

Today I added coolant and oil and gave the key a try. it would have started but I forgot gas... hmmm Oh, and connecting up the computer after all the welding I was doing. After that, VarOOOOOMMMMM. (no mufflers...)

Things to do... (there's still lots to do, but this is what I need to do to drive it..)
Cut out signal light openings in the fiberglass fender.
Wire in turn signals with quick disconnects.
Mount the fiberglass fender and bumper assembly
Take it to DMV for VIN inspection and hope they don't say WTF!!
1st race March 29th.

It's getting close...
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 5 2019, 09:14 AM
Post #403

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

"VarOOOOOMMMMM"
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 5 2019, 09:40 AM
Post #404

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Amazing amount of work in record time. Looks fantastic! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Zippy69
post Mar 6 2019, 10:49 AM
Post #405

Member No.: 14,276
Region Association: None

Starting to look like a car again! I am very happy to see the progress.

2 Quick Thoughts:

1. Mufflers - You might want to put the mufflers back on before bringing to DMV!lol. Before you put mufflers back on take a look inside the flex pipes to be sure they haven't constricted down to a much smaller inside diameter. I have heard of this happening from another 914 v8 guy but never witnessed it on your car to date. If you are planning on running mufflers (and I can't imagine running the car without them) you may want to look into purchasing some new High temp muffler grommets for mounting them to the octopus as they tend to deteriorate over time? Note: I put the flex pipes and muffler grommets on at the same time after cracking the header collector because of no flex in the system. Of course I found out the motor mounts were loose and replaced hardware on those at the same time. This was probably the main cause of cracking the header collector.

2. Seats/Seatbelts - Not sure how strict the racetrack you go to is but the Schroth Racing harnesses are old and may be out of date for some racing venues or organizations? Also... I cut holes in the seats to feed seatbelts thru 1st time I failed inspection at Pocono Raceway but never put any rubber protective molding around the bare holes in the fiberglass/carbon. Might want to look at?

Best,

Paul
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Mar 6 2019, 11:12 AM
Post #406

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(Zippy69 @ Mar 6 2019, 08:49 AM) *

1. Mufflers -

2. Seats/Seatbelts -

Best,

Paul

It's quite loud without mufflers, But I love it! then again, I don't know anywhere I could run it unless it's at the drag strip. but even they require mufflers for street car days.

Thanks for the tip on the seat. I'm planning on belts, but I'll look at some trim around the holes. I'm sure if I was to race it I would need to change the seats as well.

For now it's a Track Toy...
+Quote Post
burton73
post Mar 6 2019, 03:11 PM
Post #407

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

Hi Dan,

You have been moving right along with this monster. Great focus and pushing through on it shows. I hope you pass smog and have great luck with whatever you want to do with it.

So good health and good luck to you sir,

Bob B
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Mar 6 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #408

TORQUE-o-holic

Thanks guys. It's fun to make progress.

No smog for me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I only have to do a Vin inspection. But who knows what scrutiny I'll get for the race car looks.
So today I finished up the turn signal install, wiring for that and figuring out why the headlights would go down when turned on but stay up when turned off. Also installed the wipers and horn. If you look closely it still has the appearance of a street car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Now I need to figure out Dzus fasteners. Can't have the fenders falling off...
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 7 2019, 11:05 PM
Post #409

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Amazing progress! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Mar 8 2019, 12:26 AM
Post #410

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 7 2019, 09:05 PM) *

Amazing progress! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Thanks Mike,

A bit of a back track today. Turns out the Dzus fasteners i bought were for aluminum or steel panels not fiberglass. Tried to buy them locally, but ended up ordering the correct ones online.

I did manage to get the tie down hooks installed so can trailer it to the DMV. (I'm sure I could have done it without them, but hey...) Also got the muffler installed. Anything to make it look streetable.

And a bit of shop cleanup.. That always helps things go faster in the long run.
+Quote Post
Zippy69
post Mar 8 2019, 07:59 AM
Post #411

I got the car registered at DMV in NJ as a historic. Did not require inspection or smog test. In fact they only needed 2 pictures of the car from front and back. The challenge was explaining the fore and aft sections of the 8 point roll cage at the top of the door windows in the cabin. I explained to the lady at DMV that is not a roll bar that they are stiffening members and very common on old/historic cars with targa tops for structural integrity. Passed with that explanation but apparently would have failed if I called it a roll cage!

LOL
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Mar 9 2019, 09:22 PM
Post #412

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(Zippy69 @ Mar 8 2019, 05:59 AM) *

I got the car registered at DMV in NJ as a historic. Did not require inspection or smog test. In fact they only needed 2 pictures of the car from front and back. The challenge was explaining the fore and aft sections of the 8 point roll cage at the top of the door windows in the cabin. I explained to the lady at DMV that is not a roll bar that they are stiffening members and very common on old/historic cars with targa tops for structural integrity. Passed with that explanation but apparently would have failed if I called it a roll cage!

LOL

Here in Oregon we have Historic vehicles, but by my calculation it needs to be 1959 or older. We also have a racing vesicle class, but it's mostly for tube frame and open wheel type cars. I could be wrong, or maybe that the next build... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif).
I'm hoping for a standard registration. they are only supposed to be looking at the VIN numbers, but we'll see. Last option is specialty vehicle since it is older than 25 years.
If push comes to shove, I'll cut out the roll bar and go back and try again.
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Mar 9 2019, 09:51 PM
Post #413

TORQUE-o-holic

So a new picture and a new view. Does anyone know what that means???
Attached Image

Yes, it's running and driving under it's own power! Made it up and down the driveway with no real issues!

Oh, I colecoed the front fiberglass fenders and bumper. I'll redo it in Dzus fasteners when they arrive next week. By then I should be ready to haul it down to the DMV.

I did a tuneup changed the plugs and wires, and a coil, wrapped the headers to knock down some of the engine noise. it did help.

I also installed some rear view mirrors. Much smaller and lighter than the flag mirrors. Not everyone will like these, but they'll work for now.

I tried to order some tires for the 'other' set of wheels, but the ebay seller must have woke up and he canceled the order when he realized that he was selling for $100 less than the going price. I did find a used race tire dealer that might work for me.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 10 2019, 12:06 AM
Post #414

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

So awesome to see it back on the road. Great work Dan! You have on sweet ride there
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 10 2019, 06:05 AM
Post #415

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Congratulations Dan! Be careful...you don't want to repeat this process! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

T

+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 10 2019, 08:44 AM
Post #416

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Awesome! And GREAT JOB! You've much to be proud of.

(and now that you're, ahem, "done", you can come down and help me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) )
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Mar 10 2019, 09:20 AM
Post #417

TORQUE-o-holic

Thanks guys.
I'll be careful...

Attached Image

"done" LOL!

+Quote Post
Zippy69
post Mar 10 2019, 11:42 AM
Post #418

Lookin Good Dan!

Yes I agree with be careful comment! Car spins easily I would recommend doing it a few times in a parking lot so you can feel where the limit is and getting a feel for the very narrow window of being able to catch it is.

What tires and wheels will be the race set up?
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Mar 10 2019, 02:39 PM
Post #419

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(Zippy69 @ Mar 10 2019, 09:42 AM) *

Lookin Good Dan!

Yes I agree with be careful comment! Car spins easily I would recommend doing it a few times in a parking lot so you can feel where the limit is and getting a feel for the very narrow window of being able to catch it is.

What tires and wheels will be the race set up?

I'm pretty lucky to have an autocross track local to me. Practice laps are unlimited except for time. It has a great sweeper for checking oversteer/understeer limits.

I'll be starting out with 295s and 245s. Get a feel for the car and make sure everything is working. The second set of wheels allow me to mix and match. Currently I have 295s on the front and 285s on the rear. I'll set everything up for the biggest tire I might want to run and then go from there.

The 2 front 8" wheels are tweaked, so I'm having the tires removed and put on the other front 8" wheels. Once the wheels are straightened and I have some track time on the car, I'll decide if I want 11s/8s with race rubber or 11s/11s whatever is left will have street tire/rain tire setup.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 10 2019, 03:44 PM
Post #420

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Crazy to see how quickly you have this back together and running.
+Quote Post

30 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:37 PM