Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

30 Pages V « < 23 24 25 26 27 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Widebody LS6 rebuild., long time 914 world car desgned and built by B. massaged and refined by Paul, now entrusted to me to rebuild and repair the front end and make my own.
billium01
post Apr 21 2019, 05:53 PM
Post #481

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,764
Region Association: None

Car looks awesome! May I ask what kind of performance figures you get? 0-60 time, 1/4 mile?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Apr 21 2019, 08:00 PM
Post #482

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(billium01 @ Apr 21 2019, 04:53 PM) *

Car looks awesome! May I ask what kind of performance figures you get? 0-60 time, 1/4 mile?

I can only tell you what the original builder achieved for times. With very old tires, all I get so far is spinning tires. Even punching it at 50 causes the tires to spin in 2nd. Tires are next on my list.

R/T .041
60 1.723
330 4.919
1/8 7.410
MPH 97.93
1000 9.537
1/4 11.289
MPH 131.42

from this thread
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=87867&hl=

disclaimer. The engine is now detuned slightly with a smaller cam. It reduced it by about ~35hp. It still is around 500 crank hp.

0-60 was somewhere around 3.5 sec.
With the rev limit changed and slightly taller tires, it could do it in 1st gear.

+Quote Post
billium01
post Apr 21 2019, 08:03 PM
Post #483

Member No.: 15,764

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Apr 21 2019, 07:00 PM) *

I can only tell you what the original builder achieved for times. With very old tires, all I get so far is spinning tires. Even punching it at 50 causes the tires to spin in 2nd. Tires are next on my list.

R/T .041
60 1.723
330 4.919
1/8 7.410
MPH 97.93
1000 9.537
1/4 11.289
MPH 131.42

from this thread

disclaimer. The engine is now detuned slightly with a smaller cam. It reduced it by about ~35hp. It still is around 500 crank hp.

With the rev limit changed and slightly taller tires, it could do it in 1st gear.

Nice! That's a beast!
+Quote Post
Zippy69
post May 1 2019, 06:10 AM
Post #484

Member No.: 14,276

QUOTE(billium01 @ Apr 21 2019, 06:03 PM) *

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Apr 21 2019, 07:00 PM) *

R/T .041
60 1.723
330 4.919
1/8 7.410
MPH 97.93
1000 9.537
1/4 11.289
MPH 131.42

from this thread

Nice! That's a beast!

While the cam change lowered the HP by between 25 - 35 HP there are some substantial improvements since these 1/4 mile numbers were posted. The motor wasn't running right when these numbers were posted. Since then the mass air flow meter was removed and a speed density tune was performed, and tune up was done. PCV system was rerouted with filter added for additional crankcase ventilation. Substantial improvements were made to entire clutch and shifter system so car now shifts way better. Additionally the numbers wee posted with street tires.

With trap speeds close to 132 MPH the car should be in the high 10 sec range now in the 1/4 mile with the right tires. I always wanted to bring the car to a standing mile race as I believe it would do very well in it's class. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)

When I owned the car the nickname I had for it was THE BEAST.
+Quote Post
dan10101
post May 1 2019, 08:53 AM
Post #485

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(Zippy69 @ May 1 2019, 05:10 AM) *

While the cam change lowered the HP by between 25 - 35 HP there are some substantial improvements since these 1/4 mile numbers were posted. The motor wasn't running right when these numbers were posted. Since then the mass air flow meter was removed and a speed density tune was performed, and tune up was done. PCV system was rerouted with filter added for additional crankcase ventilation. Substantial improvements were made to entire clutch and shifter system so car now shifts way better. Additionally the numbers wee posted with street tires.

With trap speeds close to 132 MPH the car should be in the high 10 sec range now in the 1/4 mile with the right tires. I always wanted to bring the car to a standing mile race as I believe it would do very well in it's class. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)

The local dragstrip has a roll racing date set. That might be fun.

It does seem to be putting the power to the ground. Maybe when I get my sticky tires it will hold better.

The engine is running great, It's shifting well, I'm waiting on some new brake pads and maybe a trip to the drag strip is in order.

When I got my Jeep running, my Wife called it The Beast. I renamed it "Vincent".

I haven't come up with a name for the 914. I actually have about 50, Here are a couple..
Morpheus
Phoenix
Anastasia
Prometheus
Pandora
Serenity
Christine

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Zippy69
post May 1 2019, 09:05 AM
Post #486

Member No.: 14,276

QUOTE(dan10101 @ May 1 2019, 06:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Zippy69 @ May 1 2019, 05:10 AM) *

The local dragstrip has a roll racing date set. That might be fun.

It does seem to be putting the power to the ground. Maybe when I get my sticky tires it will hold better.

The engine is running great, It's shifting well, I'm waiting on some new brake pads and maybe a trip to the drag strip is in order.

When I got my Jeep running, my Wife called it The Beast. I renamed it "Vincent".

I haven't come up with a name for the 914. I actually have about 50, Here are a couple..
Morpheus
Phoenix
Anastasia
Prometheus
Pandora
Serenity
Christine

Attached Image

Some called it THE SCREAMSICLE

Of course would require same paint scheme!

+Quote Post
djway
post May 2 2019, 11:23 PM
Post #487

Member No.: 19,266
Region Association: Southern California

Is your wifes name Catherine?
You could call it Neo as it has come back to life anew (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 2 2019, 11:45 PM
Post #488

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

Judging from the pic of the pavement, you might want to call it....Stripes.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 3 2019, 09:20 AM
Post #489

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(djway @ May 2 2019, 10:23 PM) *

You could call it Neo as it has come back to life anew (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Ohhh OOohhh Idea!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_(1940_film)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/upload.wikimedia.org-172-1556896823.1.jpg)

Read the plot, watch the trailer.

His wife (my mother)'s name is Rebecca but she hates the name and goes by Becky..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
dan10101
post May 3 2019, 10:53 AM
Post #490

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 3 2019, 08:20 AM) *

QUOTE(djway @ May 2 2019, 10:23 PM) *

Ohhh OOohhh Idea!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_(1940_film)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/upload.wikimedia.org-172-1556896823.1.jpg)

Read the plot, watch the trailer.

His wife (my mother)'s name is Rebecca but she hates the name and goes by Becky..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Wow what a plot. Back when movies were Movies...
Lets see how that would work in a wild 914

Bill (as Rebecca's Dad) creates Rebecca and her early years and she is a wild one.

She finds Paul (Maxim). She gets fixed again and again. She's still wild and unfettered, not ready to play nice.

Well, I think Rebecca (as the early Screamsicle) was was a curvy character that flaunts her stuff drawing in other Men and then casting them aside. She was a wild woman that plays with life in her own way until an accident takes her life.

She comes back wearing the same outfit that she had in the past. That didn't go over well. So "Caroline" is reintroduced as the new main character.

So, Maxim, (now played by Dan) is the male character is there with this cute girl now played by Caroline. She's takes on a new look treating her Man as a woman should. Going this distance for many years to come!

(or something like that) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 3 2019, 11:41 AM
Post #491

Spooling.... Please wait

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ry2aSwBqX0
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 3 2019, 01:35 PM
Post #492

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Wow. What a saga—and what a great result! Love seeing that car covered in rain drops.

As to color/graphics, I keep seeing this car in very dark blue—like Meerblau—with no graphics at all. Not sure what wheels with that, maybe even Meerblau also?

What are your plans for the headlight covers? Have always wanted to see a 914 with the "brows" removed, even if that means the aero ain't good when they're up. Have to think it might look great with the Ultimate 914 body, which is one of the best ever figured out for the 914.

Whatever you do from here, you've already won. This was a cool car before, and now it's even cooler as it's story has a new turn. Nice work!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 3 2019, 01:40 PM
Post #493

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

This car is always the one I go back to....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dan10101
post May 3 2019, 01:50 PM
Post #494

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 3 2019, 12:35 PM) *

Wow. What a saga—and what a great result! Love seeing that car covered in rain drops.

As to color/graphics, I keep seeing this car in very dark blue—like Meerblau—with no graphics at all. Not sure what wheels with that, maybe even Meerblau also?

What are your plans for the headlight covers? Have always wanted to see a 914 with the "brows" removed, even if that means the aero ain't good when they're up. Have to think it might look great with the Ultimate 914 body, which is one of the best ever figured out for the 914.

Whatever you do from here, you've already won. This was a cool car before, and now it's even cooler as it's story has a new turn. Nice work!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Thanks Pete.
I'm just lazy with the brows. I need to put in on the list so I get to it. I thought about adding some fiberglass to the nose and make it once piece.

In fact future plans include moving the headlights into the turn signal housings.

I like Blue. The meerblau looks good. But if it's a solid color it will be Red. I agree on graphics, Solid color needs none or very little. But white needs the accents and looks good with them.

+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post May 4 2019, 10:35 PM
Post #495

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 3 2019, 12:40 PM) *

This car is always the one I go back to....

The details on this car are amazing, first time I saw it was Monterey Historics 1998, in the Kinesis Wheel tent. Something about sinister dark (looked black in the tent) exterior and the red anodized wheels (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post May 5 2019, 09:30 AM
Post #496

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

1998 epic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
dan10101
post May 10 2019, 08:41 PM
Post #497

TORQUE-o-holic

Well @Andyrew is going gangbusters. I figured I'd do an update on mine.

So I've been working on the yard more then the car lately. But I did get some stuff done.

I needed to make it somewhat less beastly for my Wife to ride any amount of time.
Plus I wanted to make it able to lock the car properly. So I reassembled the disassembled (gutted) drivers door. Now the window rolls up and down. Door card in place handles etc all work. Speaker reinstalled. I also installed the speaker in the passenger door. I used the JVC head unit from my BMW. The 4 speakers and the receiver work well together and put out a nice sound. Most of the time I'll be listening to the motor, but if I have to put in some highway miles, a Stereo is nice.

I also rigged up a horn button. Rather than diagnose why the existing one didn't work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

The taillights didn't flash the right color. One side did, the other didn't.
So I pulled them all off and swapped them around then ended up putting them back on the same posts and it worked. (I swear, really, they are on the same posts and now it works. )

I hardwired the rear view mirror, (and camera). eliminating another wire going to the cig lighter. There was already wiring there going to the old 993 mirror that I was able to reuse.

I removed the passenger side door bar so nobody throws their back out getting in the passenger seat. Both sides will end up getting removable door bars once the new roll bar hoop is installed.

I installed the dash knee pad to get it the more finished look it deserves.

Going back a ways I'm not sure what I've told the group. So some of this may be repeats.

At the last autocross it was a bit embarrassing that the brakes were outrageously loud. Some of that was the track pads, but the ebrake shoes were lifting off the seat and rubbing on the rotor causing an ugly noise. A shim to strengthen the spring seems to have fixed it. I also orders some compromise brake pads (Stoptech Street Performance) that seem to stop well and not squeak. Also the rear brakes were not working. Probably why it didn't stop at the last autocross when the front tires got wet. I adjusted the balance bar and double checked the brake bias knob. Now I'm finally getting heat into the rear brakes.

The clutch was slipping, So I made an adjustment and it seems to be working correctly.

The battery drains if I don't flip the switch at night. So I bought one of those pocket jumper boxes. I wouldn't work with the battery dead dead. But hopefully it will work with just a low battery. I'll need to do some troubleshooting and see what is causing that.

I finally put the eyebrows in for the headlights. That will need to be redone, but it's better than none.

Sorry, internet is so slow that a small picture takes an hour or more. Not much to show anyway.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 10 2019, 10:30 PM
Post #498

Spooling.... Please wait

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Progress!
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post May 11 2019, 09:19 PM
Post #499

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

Wow, great work, thanks for sharing all of this! Read through it all last night and finished off this morning. It gave me a little motivation to clean up the shop a bit and get a little work on my car today.
+Quote Post
dan10101
post May 12 2019, 12:15 AM
Post #500

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ May 11 2019, 08:19 PM) *

Wow, great work, thanks for sharing all of this! Read through it all last night and finished off this morning. It gave me a little motivation to clean up the shop a bit and get a little work on my car today.

I'm glad it help you in some way.
We all need a little motivation sometime.

Hmm, clean up the shop... Yeah, that'd be good.
+Quote Post

30 Pages V « < 23 24 25 26 27 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 12:16 AM