Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Annoying grinding noise after new pads
andreic
post Jul 6 2018, 04:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,479
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I installed new brake calipers and pads in the front on my 1.7L 914 (1972) after I discovered that one of the calipers was sticking. The calipers were high quality rebuilds from PMB.

Now I have this super annoying grinding noise whenever the car is moving. The noise is like something is grinding against the pads. It is there no matter if I press on the brake (hard or soft or at all), but it gets a bit louder if I step on the brake.

I suspect that the new pads are a bit wider than the old ones. When looking at my disks again today I noticed that there is some surface rust on them, about the first 1/4" both from the outside edge and from the inside. I know I should have had my brake disks turned when I changed the calipers, but did not do it.

My question is: will this annoying noise go away with a bit more driving, after the pads wear out a bit, or do I need to remove the calipers again, take the brake disks off to be turned, and reinstall everything?

Sorry for the low quality pic...Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jul 6 2018, 05:53 PM
Post #2

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

Sounds like you went top shelf with restored calipers from Eric with new pads. Those rotors should be replaced with new ones. I wouldn't turn any rotor these days as new rotors aren't that expensive and turned rotors are now that much thinner.

Replacing rotors also gives a good look at the bearings too. Maybe replace those as well and have all new rotating and brake components up front.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 6 2018, 08:54 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 7 2018, 11:53 AM) *

Sounds like you went top shelf with restored calipers from Eric with new pads. Those rotors should be replaced with new ones. I wouldn't turn any rotor these days as new rotors aren't that expensive and turned rotors are now that much thinner.

Replacing rotors also gives a good look at the bearings too. Maybe replace those as well and have all new rotating and brake components up front.

Let the pads bed in to the rotors or if not in spec replace them ,can't remember the wear limit think its like just over one millimeter from new thickness...don't quote me.
A lot of folks are unware the small amount the calipers move toward the disk,the piston seals dictate that.
I'am never to fussed about decent worn solid rotors with a pad replacement but vented ones are a safety issue cause they can fall in half (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .
Recently did all the disks and pads on my Audi now that is not cheap ,not much left from 900NZD fitted ,a powerful/heavy car the 914 couldn't be more different.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jul 7 2018, 08:09 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Venting clearances set, right?
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jul 7 2018, 08:39 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I’ve always taken new rotor to the machine shop and had them turned first. I figure it’s best to start with a straight surface and I do t think you get that out of the box
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 7 2018, 09:55 AM
Post #6

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

More often than not, the rotor runout is less than minimum spec after turning. Redo...with new bearings. Then you can forget them til next time.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 7 2018, 11:47 AM
Post #7

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

I once picked up an early 911 that just had brakes done, by a reputable shop. Grinding the whole way home. Found one of the pads was put in backwards....
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Jul 7 2018, 12:49 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 7,712

Double check the pushrod adjustment from the pedal to the master cylinder. The pushrod nose should have 0.040 (1mm) between the m/c piston. Rock the brake pedal back and forth gently, should have tiny bit of movement. If no movement rod is too long, excessive its short.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 7 2018, 05:04 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jul 8 2018, 02:09 AM) *

No ventin clearance for the front ,Jeff made a valid point about the cylinder pushrod I didn't think about that,mine was wound off and I needed to remove play in the pedal even with new disks and pads perfect now.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 7 2018, 05:08 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 8 2018, 05:47 AM) *

I once picked up an early 911 that just had brakes done, by a reputable shop. Grinding the whole way home. Found one of the pads was put in backwards....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) ha ha did that once but only had myself to blame ,my wife needed her car in a hurry and I rushed the job .
+Quote Post
andreic
post Jul 12 2018, 06:02 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 19,479

I don't know, maybe I had a bad day and I put the pads in backwards. But I don't think I had such a bad day to put them in backwards on both wheels... Still, I'll check tomorrow.

(The car makes the same exact noise when spinning either the passenger or the driver's side wheel...)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 13 2018, 05:36 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

Its gotta just be the built up rust on the rotors. It will go away with driving a little bit.. Same thing went on with my sons 944.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jul 13 2018, 08:06 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 7 2018, 07:04 PM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jul 8 2018, 02:09 AM) *

No ventin clearance for the front ,Jeff made a valid point about the cylinder pushrod I didn't think about that,mine was wound off and I needed to remove play in the pedal even with new disks and pads perfect now.

Opps. Duh me. Now I see he had said it was a front pad replacement.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 11:31 AM