Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Identify Cam Without Splitting Cases, 2.0 Liter 4
motorvated
post Jul 9 2018, 08:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,519
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Is it possible to determine what cam is inside the 2.0 liter four cylinder motor I just purchased, without splitting the cases. Can a dial gauge on the rocker arms and degree wheel on the flywheel be used to measure the cam lift and profile. Are any cam markings visible without splitting the cases. The engine was last run with carbs, but no history of whether or not the cam was ever changed. I'd prefer not to disturb the bottom end if possible. Tried a search, but couldn't find anything.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Jul 9 2018, 09:24 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

I have been told the easiest way is to remove oil pump, examine the drive gear mounting. if it is riveted to cam, probably stock. if it is bolted, the cam has been replaced.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jul 9 2018, 11:04 AM
Post #3

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Exactly like Mort said
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 9 2018, 11:33 AM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

If it's bolted (aftermarket) most cam grinders stamp a grind code on the pump drive area of the cam.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 9 2018, 04:58 PM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

And of course you can put a dial indicator on a pushrod or a lifter (if you can get access) or a rocker arm and use a degree wheel on the crank. It can be tough to match those measurements up with published info, though.

--DD
+Quote Post
motorvated
post Aug 24 2019, 12:21 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 9 2018, 04:58 PM) *

And of course you can put a dial indicator on a pushrod or a lifter (if you can get access) or a rocker arm and use a degree wheel on the crank. It can be tough to match those measurements up with published info, though.

--DD

Updating an older thread. Just pulled the oil pump off of the 2.0 liter motor to see what cam might be in it. Here's what I found.

Attached Image

Looks like the oil pump drive is riveted on and not bolted, so am I correct to assume that the cam is most likely the original D-Jet fuel injection cam. Since the motor came to me with a set of 40IDF Webers, which I would like to use on this motor, is it time to split the cases and drop in a more carb friendly cam. Or can I run the carbs with this cam without leaving too much performance on the table. I also could swap over the L-Jet that currently is on the 1.8 Liter motor that currently is in the car, if the cam is compatible with that. Or I guess I could source a D-Jet set-up and bolt that on. I have been racing with various vintage clubs and SCCA with the 1.8, and would like to move up in the field a little with more power while staying at or below the 2.0 liter displacement limit that some clubs have. And I'm not looking for a killer race motor, just about 20 more hp than I have now. I'm apprehensive about splitting the cases, and maybe I shouldn't be.

Any and all recommendations for a path forward with this motor will be appreciated greatly.
+Quote Post
JFJ914
post Aug 24 2019, 12:51 PM
Post #7

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 814
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(motorvated @ Aug 24 2019, 02:21 PM) *

--DD

Updating an older thread. Just pulled the oil pump off of the 2.0 liter motor to see what cam might be in it. Here's what I found.

Attached Image

Looks like the oil pump drive is riveted on and not bolted, so am I correct to assume that the cam is most likely the original D-Jet fuel injection cam. Since the motor came to me with a set of 40IDF Webers, which I would like to use on this motor, is it time to split the cases and drop in a more carb friendly cam. Or can I run the carbs with this cam without leaving too much performance on the table. I also could swap over the L-Jet that currently is on the 1.8 Liter motor that currently is in the car, if the cam is compatible with that. Or I guess I could source a D-Jet set-up and bolt that on. I have been racing with various vintage clubs and SCCA with the 1.8, and would like to move up in the field a little with more power while staying at or below the 2.0 liter displacement limit that some clubs have. And I'm not looking for a killer race motor, just about 20 more hp than I have now. I'm apprehensive about splitting the cases, and maybe I shouldn't be.

Any and all recommendations for a path forward with this motor will be appreciated greatly.

I'm sorry to be a buzzkill, but right off the bat a 20HP gain is a minimum of $5,000 away. There is no shortcut to power in these engines.

Oh, yes that looks like a stock cam. All of your induction choices will work, none will increase HP by themselves. Sorry
+Quote Post
motorvated
post Aug 24 2019, 01:06 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(JFJ914 @ Aug 24 2019, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(motorvated @ Aug 24 2019, 02:21 PM) *

--DD

Attached Image

I'm sorry to be a buzzkill, but right off the bat a 20HP gain is a minimum of $5,000 away. There is no shortcut to power in these engines.

Oh, yes that looks like a stock cam. All of your induction choices will work, none will increase HP by themselves. Sorry

The 20 Hp increase I am looking for is from the starting point of 82 Hp the current 1.8 liter motor was claimed to be making at sea level when new. I think a stock 2.0 liter makes close to 20 Hp more than that. So I'm not looking to get 20 Hp more out of the 2.0 liter. Thanks for your comments wrt the cam and the induction choices.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 24 2019, 05:03 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Nope. 2.0L (stock) is more like 95HP. But a 10HP bump on an 84HP baseline feels mighty good.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:21 AM