Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Was Aubergine 2.0L sold 2 hrs after posting...ITS BAAAAAAACKKKK, "Missed it by that much"
mepstein
post Aug 7 2018, 10:50 AM
Post #21

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

“Flippers” show up with cash in hand, buy the car for an agreed amount and take it away. Better than tire kickers that take up your whole day, tell you they have to get permission from the wife, and then disappear.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Aug 7 2018, 11:02 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

That rust in the door jamb (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

There is certainly something going on to have that bad of rust through up top and the claim of rust free pans. This one certainly needs a in depth rust inspection.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 7 2018, 11:22 AM
Post #23

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Sorry I just don't get the hate for the flippers.

Are you mad because you didn't get the car?

I've bought and sold several cars, and everyone was happy, the guy who sold me the car and the guy who purchased the car.

If a 914 enthusiast wanted the car bad enough it would be in their garage.

Free market and fair market value will prevail.

The early bird gets the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 7 2018, 11:26 AM
Post #24

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Aug 7 2018, 10:22 AM) *
The early bird gets the worm

And the early worm gets eaten ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 7 2018, 01:50 PM
Post #25

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 7 2018, 12:44 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) flippers!! its the nature of the market now that our cars are worth something unfortunately - feel bad for the guy that sold it cheap to the first person to walk in with cash in hand- he could have sold it for 2x that and it would have gone to a good home

You never know what the situation was. Maybe the guy was thrilled to death because he had cash in hand when he needed it vs waiting for ppi’s, funds to become available, killing days with flakey buyers. People spit out the word “flipper” because they don’t want to compete with a super motivated buyer who knows how to spot or develops a good deal. If someone buys a car, holds it for 20 years and sells for a profit, it’s called being a wise (or lucky) investor. If they buy and sell quickly, somehow it’s being evil. Flippers don’t call you the next day demanding their money back because they can’t get the car started or it needs a brake job. People get mad at flippers because they only see the good deals. They dont see the time or legwork it takes to get the deals. People want the deal but they want to find it on eBay. Ask Adam how much work it takes before he can load up all the cars on the truck and take a picture. Most buyers want easy. It’s exactly the same in real estate. Buyers want the fixed up house at fixer-up prices. They want home inspections and financing, not as-is, cash sales. We sell quite a few cars to wholesalers because we want a fast easy sale. Money is left on the table but sometimes that’s not the priority. You can thank all the flippers who find the long forgotten cars and bring them to market. Most of them would never make it out of the garage or shed if there weren’t flippers taking the initiative to find the deals.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 7 2018, 01:54 PM
Post #26

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Aug 7 2018, 10:22 AM) *

I've bought and sold several cars, and everyone was happy, the guy who sold me the car and the guy who purchased the car.

I think the dislike for some flippers is due to the ones that would brag about getting a killer deal by either pure luck or outright lying to the seller to get a great deal and then bragging about the deal before turning around and selling for major profit.

Nothing wrong with making money.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 7 2018, 01:56 PM
Post #27

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 7 2018, 03:50 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) flippers!! its the nature of the market now that our cars are worth something unfortunately - feel bad for the guy that sold it cheap to the first person to walk in with cash in hand- he could have sold it for 2x that and it would have gone to a good home

You never know what the situation was. Maybe the guy was thrilled to death because he had cash in hand when he needed it vs waiting for ppi’s, funds to become available, killing days with flakey buyers. People spit out the word “flipper” because they don’t want to compete with a super motivated buyer who knows how to spot or develops a good deal. If someone buys a car, holds it for 20 years and sells for a profit, it’s called being a wise (or lucky) investor. If they buy and sell quickly, somehow it’s being evil. Flippers don’t call you the next day demanding their money back because they can’t get the car started or it needs a brake job. People get mad at flippers because they only see the good deals. They dont see the time or legwork it takes to get the deals. People want the deal but they want to find it on eBay. Ask Adam how much work it takes before he can load up all the cars on the truck and take a picture. Most buyers want easy. It’s exactly the same in real estate. Buyers want the fixed up house at fixer-up prices. They want home inspections and financing, not as-is, cash sales. We sell quite a few cars to wholesalers because we want a fast easy sale. Money is left on the table but sometimes that’s not the priority. You can thank all the flippers who find the long forgotten cars and bring them to market. Most of them would never make it out of the garage or shed if there weren’t flippers taking the initiative to find the deals.

I don't disagree with you, all good points, I am not necessarily hating on all the flippers, - free market economy- I do feel that some really take advantage of those that don't know what they have - I really didn't ever think of Adam as a flipper really. He is a Porsche owner, he is saving stuff that's just rusting away , getting out of the field or barn and into the hands of someone that will save and preserve it! . The guys that are just out there to make a quick buck and take advantage, that I have a issue with. I have had opportunity and could have had stuff that I could have paid way less than I did, but I just cant do that. We need more guys like Adam!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 7 2018, 02:52 PM
Post #28

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 7 2018, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 7 2018, 03:50 PM) *

I don't disagree with you, all good points, I am not necessarily hating on all the flippers, - free market economy- I do feel that some really take advantage of those that don't know what they have - I really didn't ever think of Adam as a flipper really. He is a Porsche owner, he is saving stuff that's just rusting away , getting out of the field or barn and into the hands of someone that will save and preserve it! . The guys that are just out there to make a quick buck and take advantage, that I have a issue with. I have had opportunity and could have had stuff that I could have paid way less than I did, but I just cant do that. We need more guys like Adam!

I used Adam as an example but as I implied, I don't see a flipper as a negative, just someone who fills a niche. He does a huge amount of work to bring these cars back to market. Most people just see a purchase price and then sale price. They don't see what it takes behind the scenes, not to mention the time and effort it takes to get educated in order to (usually) make a good decision. Anyone can take advantage of someone.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Aug 7 2018, 03:45 PM
Post #29

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Half the 914 flippers don't actually add value. They just clean it, post glamour shots, lie about the rust and double the price.

There is no benefit if the ad is online and the final owner misses out on the true value. If it really is some old lady selling a forgotten barn car then a middle man makes sense.

I've flipped cars, but I fix/recondition them first and sell for a paycheck. I've also been approached by other flippers to do little fixes on their cars but they want cheap rates in exchange for volume (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
JFG
post Aug 7 2018, 04:24 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 19,869

mb vintage bought it eh? i enquired about a 912 with them that just seemed too expensive given the extent of work needed and money needed to invest. not as bad as beverly hills comedy club though.

is it really a 13k car? or are they just being bid up?
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 7 2018, 04:32 PM
Post #31

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

And a kid with a BB gun kills the bird. We may see the buyer here when it sells.
+Quote Post
Rav914
post Aug 7 2018, 05:54 PM
Post #32

All-weather fan

Member No.: 7,669

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 7 2018, 12:50 PM) *

Well said, agree with all of it.

And....$13K with 5 days to go. Impressive.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Aug 7 2018, 06:02 PM
Post #33

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

There’s room for everyone...except people who misrepresent (or under-represent) cars to make a quick buck.”flippers” serve a valuable role of scouring the nether-reaches of the world to bring cars to market. But the profit-driven nature of their approach sometimes causes them to act with less integrity than someone passionate about these cars...and our community.

Flip away... but be honest and fair.

This seller doesn’t seem to meet those standards. Lots of rust on this car. Intentionally cropping out bad spots. Clutch tube broken at firewall, major oil leak, etc. it’s one thing to say “is-is, where is”, but another to call this car an “honest driver”
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Aug 7 2018, 06:05 PM
Post #34

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

"An extremely honest and original driver needing minor cosmetics."

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
napasteve
post Aug 7 2018, 06:37 PM
Post #35

914 driving winemaker

Member No.: 15,327
Region Association: Northern California

Hey Jeff, I don't think there is any extra charge for that hole.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Aug 7 2018, 06:47 PM
Post #36

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

I'd be willing to bet that at $13k it's shill bidding. We'll see the car relisted.
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Aug 7 2018, 07:00 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Aug 7 2018, 01:22 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 7 2018, 07:02 PM
Post #38

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Up $8.5k in 13 hours? Must be the rare color. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Shill? Ya think? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 7 2018, 07:10 PM
Post #39

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Well, now, there's something to hate...
+Quote Post
rmital
post Aug 8 2018, 07:27 AM
Post #40

Northeast optimist

Member No.: 5,268

flippers...car color...etc....all good stuff!

I'd like to acknowledge Jeff's Get Smart reference:
"Missed it by that much"
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:50 PM