Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Bam!, Loud Bang in the engine bay at 3000rpms....Uhoh
forrestkhaag
post Jul 11 2018, 08:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

After a few hours of installing a new fuel pump and sorting out wiring to the relay, I was leaving my shop and within 1500 feet of travel there came a huge loud bang followed by a exhaling sizzle - directly behind my right ear. A really significant louder than a backfire explosion at 3000 rpm's as I accelerated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

Startled, I shut the engine off instantly while pushing in the clutch and then rolled to a stop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) Out of the car and looking underneath, there was no visible giant pool of oil or shattered aluminum case halves, pistons and parts or even the left and right fenders blown off of the car as such a noise would produce. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

As a precaution, i pushed the car to a safe parking spot and went home to contemplate the cause (before risking a start-up that would further damage what ever was left of the engine innards............. I consulted several 911 people and the general consensus was that it had to be a fuel accumulation in the muffler from working and testing the fuel pump while not firing up the engine. That, in turn, ignited in the muffler once hot enough - and that must have been the explosion that i experienced.

Rather than turn over the engine, the next day, I drained the oil for inspection. I removed the strainer and mags-drain plug and filter. All were clean and without any debris or shiny stuff therein. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) So maybe the chunks of debris are so big that they didn't get to the lower part of the engine............ yet...

Kieth came by the shop and we then removed the lower valve covers to see if one of the valves had exploded or a spring had decided to eject thru the opposite side of the internals of the heads / the noise was that substantial........ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Valve covers off top and bottom and still no evidence of the cause of the backfire-times-ten explosion noise.......... so we plucked the fan and pulley hatch cover at the firewall.

AhHa!

Three individual guys were definitely involved. (in addition to me...)

They, your honor, were responsible for the BAM!-zzzz that halted my progress home last evening.

Their names were Many, Moe and Jack.........

Apparently the engine fan sucked a big plastic Pep Boy's bag into the shroud area and onto the upper fan pulley from the parking lot debris. That piece of jetsam in turn, whipped around and around as I accelerated - and the hideous bag then caught on to a piece of wire from inside the engine bay at the inner firewall and the two clusters of debris began a death spiral ever tightening the grip on the bag until the bubble of trapped air exploded like no sound I had ever heard from a backfire or other catastrophic event in an engine bay........

The updisde of the story is the oil and filter are now new, the valves are tuned to a perfection, and I rest assured that the bag was not my fault as I have not been to see Manny, Moe, or Jack in several months..........

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Steve
post Jul 11 2018, 12:07 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

That’s good news, but maybe you should hang a rabbits foot or something from the rear view mirror. You’ve had the weirdest issues with that car.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
forrestkhaag   Bam!   Jul 11 2018, 08:46 AM
bretth   Yikes what was that wire from? As I was reading I ...   Jul 11 2018, 08:59 AM
Mueller   Glad this had a good outcome! I was nervous re...   Jul 11 2018, 09:30 AM
Coondog   Ban plastic bags........They damage 914s.... :lol4...   Jul 11 2018, 09:36 AM
db9146   So your -6 is so low you're starting a side bu...   Jul 11 2018, 10:38 AM
pt_700   my fan once ingested the heater hose after the zip...   Jul 11 2018, 11:27 AM
rgalla9146   You've run and driven the car since ? No r...   Jul 11 2018, 11:41 AM
ValcoOscar   You had me worried Forrest, damn bag :shoot2kill:...   Jul 11 2018, 11:43 AM
Steve   That’s good news, but maybe you should hang a ra...   Jul 11 2018, 12:07 PM
Bartlett 914   Good story. I love it :)   Jul 11 2018, 01:56 PM
914Toy   Along with the relief, it was great slapstick come...   Jul 11 2018, 02:20 PM
Larmo63   Hang garlic around your neck each time you drive t...   Jul 11 2018, 02:43 PM
SteveL   Pretty inexpensive fix - tune up and a new pair of...   Jul 11 2018, 02:57 PM
forrestkhaag   that's a running joke....... as opposed to my ...   Jul 11 2018, 03:06 PM
jim_hoyland   Good to hear it wasn’t an engine killing event, ...   Jul 11 2018, 03:24 PM
euro911   Glad to hear it was only a minor setback. I insta...   Jul 11 2018, 04:01 PM
ClayPerrine   Glad to hear it was only a minor setback. I inst...   Jul 11 2018, 08:43 PM
JmuRiz   How’d a bag get sucked through the engine bay ti...   Jul 11 2018, 06:10 PM
maf914   How’d a bag get sucked through the engine bay t...   Jul 12 2018, 06:16 AM
Larmo63   I suspect that Forrest bought the new fuel pump at...   Jul 11 2018, 09:36 PM
Dave_Darling   Once the alternator pivot bolt on my car worked it...   Jul 11 2018, 11:10 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:16 AM