Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Front Windshield from Porsche dealer, Has anyone here installed an OE windshield from Porsche dealer ?? I was priced $540 with out the PCA discount
DRPHIL914
post Jul 11 2018, 10:08 AM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

Also , I was told by the parts department that it does not indicate where the glass was made or by whom only that it came directly from Porsche Germany and supplied by whom ever is the direct OE supplier.

BTW there are only 6 in stock here in USA and none in Europe, Germany etc.

SO just wondering is it worth paying a bit more for OE and if you got one was it perfect fit?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 18)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 11 2018, 10:42 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

yes fit just fine. The reason to pay more is that you can pick it up at your local dealer and avoid the costly shipping. THAT is one of the main reasons we buy only factory windshields for our customers 914s we do here. We are on the factory drop ship program, so get large shipments from Porsche delivered to our door daily, including windshields

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 11 2018, 09:08 AM) *

Also , I was told by the parts department that it does not indicate where the glass was made or by whom only that it came directly from Porsche Germany and supplied by whom ever is the direct OE supplier.

BTW there are only 6 in stock here in USA and none in Europe, Germany etc.

SO just wondering is it worth paying a bit more for OE and if you got one was it perfect fit?

+Quote Post
wes
post Jul 11 2018, 11:03 AM
Post #3

wes

Member No.: 8,436
Region Association: Northern California

I bought mine from Porsche to replace a none Porsche windshield wich was thinner glass and after a short time developed a small crack. I didn’t install either windshield though both installed by the same person who mentioned the Porsche windshield was a better fit.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 11 2018, 01:06 PM
Post #4

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

What is the installer using to install the windshield? I think the butyl tape allows for some flex? With the modern stuff, it practically becomes one with suspension I suspect.

I have never installed a non-sigla windshield. But, windsheild is a super easy two person job. The installation requires the proper spacers and butyl tape along with the primer for the tape.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jul 11 2018, 01:44 PM
Post #5

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Has mine done for $740 istalled. (Hagerty paid the bill no questions). They used the new glue. Urethane I think. Looks great. About 6 months no issues.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jul 11 2018, 02:02 PM
Post #6

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

I've installed more that a dozen windshields. Two of those, i used urethane. They both cracked in one year. Butyl is the only way.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 11 2018, 02:03 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

I agree, we always use the original butyl tape 1/4 inch made by 3m also the original factory windshield spacers. Also important to always renew the 19 windshield clips when replacing the windshield or the chrome may not snap on well. Finally best time to replace the dash to windshield bead

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 11 2018, 12:06 PM) *

What is the installer using to install the windshield? I think the butyl tape allows for some flex? With the modern stuff, it practically becomes one with suspension I suspect.

I have never installed a non-sigla windshield. But, windsheild is a super easy two person job. The installation requires the proper spacers and butyl tape along with the primer for the tape.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 11 2018, 07:46 PM
Post #8

Dr. Phil

i talked to our parts guy at the dealer- Randy- said we can have it in 2 days, and they use one guy they outsource installation to. He picks up the glass from dealer and rings it to customers house or i can pick it up asn do it- he picked up 5 today, a 72 911 was one of those- aounds like a guy that i could trust. I have the clips, butyl and need the primer.
George, are these from Porsche Sigla?
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Jul 11 2018, 08:08 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

Slight highjack, where do you get the butyl primer?
Was going to order online and realized it was a pint or quart of the stuff, more than I need.

Jim
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 12 2018, 12:03 AM
Post #10

Apex killer!

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jul 11 2018, 11:08 PM) *

Slight highjack, where do you get the butyl primer?
Was going to order online and realized it was a pint or quart of the stuff, more than I need.

Jim

Autobody supply store in Sacramento Jim. Down on Fulton close to Biz80, not too far from Maita Toyota. Jerry’s? It wasn’t cheap.
+Quote Post
phillstek
post Jul 12 2018, 04:37 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 11,741

Got mine from the local Porsche dealership. AUD$800 branded 'Pilkington'
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jul 13 2018, 07:32 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(phillstek @ Jul 12 2018, 04:37 AM) *

Got mine from the local Porsche dealership. AUD$800 branded 'Pilkington'

Pilkington bought Sigla - I too bought one from the dealer over a year ago and it came branded Pilkington.
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Jul 13 2018, 08:09 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

I bought mine from the Porsche dealer in Newport Beach for 600 bucks and change some year back and installed it, like most things, myself. Not a difficult task but George and others on this thread are correct: one needs the correct "tape" from 3M, the primer for the glass, the trim clip kit from Porsche or maybe Pelican, and the spacers. Everything must be clean and no bumps or debris in the mounting track area. You have but one shot at getting the glass in the correct place so another set of hands is probably better than my pulley-from-the-ceiling assistant I used.............. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 13 2018, 11:51 AM
Post #14

Dr. Phil

well I bit the bullet and ordered my windshield washer today my price with taxes after the discount for PCA is $529. I already have the new clips and the butyl tape the car just came back from paint the channels are in perfect condition and there was no rust this should be a straightforward installation . if he doesn't charge me more than 100 bucks or so to install it I'll probably just pay him to do it only one of my clips broke removing the Old trim and windshield so I haven't decided whether I will pop out all the old ones and put new ones in. I suppose I will.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 13 2018, 01:16 PM
Post #15

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 13 2018, 01:51 PM) *

well I bit the bullet and ordered my windshield washer today my price with taxes after the discount for PCA is $529. I already have the new clips and the butyl tape the car just came back from paint the channels are in perfect condition and there was no rust this should be a straightforward installation . if he doesn't charge me more than 100 bucks or so to install it I'll probably just pay him to do it only one of my clips broke removing the Old trim and windshield so I haven't decided whether I will pop out all the old ones and put new ones in. I suppose I will.

You should always use new clips.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 13 2018, 05:06 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 13 2018, 11:51 AM) *

Do you plan to use the primer on yours? With luck, I too will be installing glass into a perfectly clean and freshly painted frame. I've used primer on windshield replacements in the past, but this is the first time I'll be mounting in a pristine welt. Primer or no in that application?
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 13 2018, 05:11 PM
Post #17

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 13 2018, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 13 2018, 11:51 AM) *

Do you plan to use the primer on yours? With luck, I too will be installing glass into a perfectly clean and freshly painted frame. I've used primer on windshield replacements in the past, but this is the first time I'll be mounting in a pristine welt. Primer or no in that application?

i will defer to the expert. he's done thousands, does all the classics for the dealer too. i will let you know what he suggests, but i had not even thought about that, you bring up a very valid point.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 13 2018, 06:07 PM
Post #18

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 13 2018, 02:51 PM) *

Just to make sure everyone is hearing what George, myself and others are saying, some of these professionals will insist that they can’t legally use butyl tape. They’ll want to use their goop which drys so hard the windshield becomes practically a stiffening device. This is why you’re hearing about windshields cracking within a year of installation. The butyl tape gives it a bit of flex so it doesn’t crack after the first driveway you pull into. If you insist on having someone else do this very easy job, ask if they’ll use the butyl tape. If they give you the song and dance about not being able to legally do it, thank them for their time and send them off.
My local glass guy tells me it isn’t a law anywhere that he is aware of. He says the company is afraid of getting warranty calls for leaks.
Again, this is a really easy two person job, and doable by yourself.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 13 2018, 07:09 PM
Post #19

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 13 2018, 08:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 13 2018, 02:51 PM) *

Just to make sure everyone is hearing what George, myself and others are saying, some of these professionals will insist that they can’t legally use butyl tape. They’ll want to use their goop which drys so hard the windshield becomes practically a stiffening device. This is why you’re hearing about windshields cracking within a year of installation. The butyl tape gives it a bit of flex so it doesn’t crack after the first driveway you pull into. If you insist on having someone else do this very easy job, ask if they’ll use the butyl tape. If they give you the song and dance about not being able to legally do it, thank them for their time and send them off.
My local glass guy tells me it isn’t a law anywhere that he is aware of. He says the company is afraid of getting warranty calls for leaks.
Again, this is a really easy two person job, and doable by yourself.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
911 windshields are just held in by the rubber seal. These cars flex.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:25 AM