Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Exhaust popping on deceleration (1.7 D-Jet), After changing MSP for a rebuilt one
Jazzy
post Jul 12 2018, 03:57 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,432
Region Association: Europe

I have a '73 1.7 with the stock D-Jetronic installed. The engine was lacking power, overall and especially around 3k rpm, so my mechanic and I checked everything from sparks to fuel. Started with the ignition and replaced the system with a new 1-2-3 ignition, coil, spark plugs and cables. Huge improvement, especially more torque at low rpm.

Next the D-Jetronic parts were checked and discovered that I had the wrong MPS and two 2.0 injectors. The injectors were changed with proper ones and all four tested. Fuel pressure was slightly off but everything else looked good.

When I got the car back from the shop I ordered a rebuilt MPS from Auto Atlanta and ordered this one: http://www.autoatlanta.com/detail.php?pn=B...E&user=Mike

With this MPS, my car drives much better and is definitely more powerful. Unfortunately the car now pops in the exhaust when decelerating. Replace the old MPS again, no more pops but also less power.

Any suggestions on next steps?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Jul 12 2018, 04:16 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

Fuel should be cut-off on decel, until down to about 1200 RPM, so perhaps the contacts on the throttle body are not making contact at throttle close position to send signal to brain, unless brain has got to sleep ??
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jul 12 2018, 04:25 AM
Post #3

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Popping on decel is often a sign of running too lean, especially in your case where the swapped MPS makes a difference. I assume the AA MPS is tuned to spec, but was your old MPS not really holding a vacuum? If so, you were running rich (or at least richer) with the old one.

With the '73 you SHOULD have the idle adjustment knob on your ECU, right? I would turn it counter-clockwise and count the clicks until it's fully lean. Then go back clockwise plus an additional click to make the idle mixture richer. See if that helps. If not, keep turning the knob clockwise and try again.

If I'm mistaken and you don't have the adjustment knob, or if it didn't seem to help, check fuel pressure. Maybe bump it up slightly and see if that helps.

In general it sounds like you're fixing a lot of things that were wrong or mismatched, so keep checking for things like vacuum leaks and incorrect or unserviceable parts. Also make sure valves are properly adjusted. You can fix one thing in D-Jet only to find that it was masking another problem!
+Quote Post
Bob L.
post Jul 12 2018, 02:39 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,411
Region Association: Southwest Region

I had popping from the exhaust on decelleration when my heat exchangers were not secured tightly. AKA exhaust leak at the head/heat exchanger interface.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 12 2018, 02:58 PM
Post #5

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Yes, lean or exhaust leak. The old MPS is running rich, so it's masking the problem. I can't speak to the new one though, it's no piece of cake getting a replacement MPS right, so the new one could be wrong making it run lean.
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Jul 12 2018, 07:43 PM
Post #6

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

Does the engine has the deaccelaration valve, if so remove it and plug the ports.
MPS may not be tuned for the engine displacement.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jul 12 2018, 08:58 PM
Post #7

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jul 12 2018, 06:43 PM) *

Does the engine has the deaccelaration valve, if so remove it and plug the ports.
MPS may not be tuned for the engine displacement.

Say what? The decel valve protects the MPS diaphragm from premature failure, never remove it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:08 AM