Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tire rotation or not?
bandjoey
post Jul 12 2018, 09:48 PM
Post #1

bandjoey

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Searched, and also never seen this talked about.

How do you rotate the tires??
With low annual mileage, do we need to?

What do you do?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 12 2018, 09:58 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

IIRC Bill, it's every 5K miles (or 8K), & do same side front to back rotation for directional tread radials - not the "X" LF to RR & RF to LR & LR & RR forward - otherwise for non-directional treads you can do either. I think they show it in your owners manual too, or use the ones in the nailed threads on here.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

+Quote Post
thelogo
post Jul 12 2018, 10:33 PM
Post #3

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 12 2018, 08:48 PM) *

Searched, and also never seen this talked about.

How do you rotate the tires??
With low annual mileage, do we need to?

What do you do?

Every year or 10k miles

But 914 is not like other cars that will wear front tires like crazy

So on time rotations are not as critical but still will never the less prolong tire life .

Since the 914 is so agile and depends so much on pushing the tires to there limits of adhesion

I always keep a close eye on psi , dry rot , wear pattern , and sidewall health

And want to get a in car tire pressure monitor

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 13 2018, 05:18 AM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have a feeling that Bill is asking if it's worth doing for the couple thousand miles a year - if that, that our cars are driven. For most classic car owners, tires age out long before they wear out.
My stock '71 is so light, the tires look new after 4K.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Racer
post Jul 13 2018, 05:30 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Mine wear quickly (r comps, year round, ax use) so when I have wheels off to inspect other things, I sometimes move them front to rear or left to right, depending on wear.

For a limited use street car on street tires, as mentioned about, they often will "time" out vs wear out so rotating isn't always needed.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jul 13 2018, 05:38 AM
Post #6

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

JD's Alignment in Huntington Beach recommended rotation every 3K miles, which is about a year for me; easy to remember cause thats my oil change milage too.
Fronts to backs only
Found it a good time to clean up the wheel well, calipers and do a quick brake bleed.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 13 2018, 09:20 AM
Post #7

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 12 2018, 11:58 PM) *

IIRC Bill, it's every 5K miles (or 8K), & do same side front to back rotation for directional tread radials - not the "X" LF to RR & RF to LR & LR & RR forward - otherwise for non-directional treads you can do either. I think they show it in your owners manual too, or use the ones in the nailed threads on here.

Tom
///////

Nope... even if they are not directional radials should never be done in the X pattern.
Front to back, but they always stay same side.

Doing the x pattern is for bias ply tires only. The 914 owners manual was made when bias ply were the most common tires available.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jul 13 2018, 11:33 AM
Post #8

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156

Both questions answered. Front to back and yearly sounds right even with low mileage.
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Jul 13 2018, 01:17 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,245

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 13 2018, 08:20 AM) *

Tom
///////

Nope... even if they are not directional radials should never be done in the X pattern.

Doing the x pattern is for bias ply tires only. The 914 owners manual was made when bias ply were the most common tires available.

I've heard that about only rotating radials front to back and I've also heard it is a myth from when radials were new technology and the belts were not bonded to the rest of the tire as well as they are today.
I can not find any current information saying not to swap sides with radials. The closest I found was a tirerack faq that said not to rotate studded tires side to side but did not explain why.

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 13 2018, 03:14 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Jul 13 2018, 01:17 PM) *

Tom
///////

I've heard that about only rotating radials front to back and I've also heard it is a myth from when radials were new technology and the belts were not bonded to the rest of the tire as well as they are today.
I can not find any current information saying not to swap sides with radials. The closest I found was a tirerack faq that said not to rotate studded tires side to side but did not explain why.

All of the manuals for new cars I've bought (came with radials and were either rear wheel or 4WD) recommend the rearward cross rotation pattern.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/static.pepboys.com-20845-1531516498.1.png)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 13 2018, 03:19 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 13 2018, 01:14 PM) *

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Jul 13 2018, 01:17 PM) *

Tom
///////

All of the manuals for new cars I've bought (came with radials and were either rear wheel or 4WD) recommend the rearward cross rotation pattern.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/static.pepboys.com-20845-1531516498.1.png)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Same with mine..
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 13 2018, 03:20 PM
Post #12

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Most tire manufacturers recommend 6~8k miles. If the tire shop says 3k, I think they're just trying to rip people off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

The issue about only rotating front-to-back with radials came about because of the crown and camber (or slope) on most roadways. Tires adapt and wear with the angle of the slope towards the shoulder.

Attached Image

https://ridermagazine.com/2018/04/30/how-cr...cycle-handling/

The radial belts inside the tires stretch and conform to the slope angle, and moving the tire(s) to the other side would reverse the stretching, causing tread separation from the sidewall. It's happened to me before, with tires that still had plenty of tread left.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 13 2018, 06:11 PM
Post #13

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 13 2018, 12:58 AM) *

Tom
///////

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Yup...
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 13 2018, 06:42 PM
Post #14

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

The only time I can think of where you don’t do a rotation every 5K miles is staggered directional tires.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:36 AM