Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brake pad sourcing problems..., Wrong Size Pads
briantrex
post Jul 14 2018, 04:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,135
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hi,

Are the front brake pads larger than the rear pads on a 1975 (1.8L)? I acquired pads from a reputable purveyor and got something too large for my calipers. The website of various purveyors of parts show the front and rear as interchangeable. Some show different pads doing one or the other or working universal. Huh?

The brake pad kit that I got was the Bosch BP31 (914-351-905-01/914). I see that there's a slight variation in the serial when I source it again on line so that there's a 914-351-905-01/M914 not a 914-351-905-01/914. Is that the difference? On one site the M signifies rear pads. On another everything is universal-front is the same as back.

There seems to be an ongoing issue with this but I can't find a place where its resolved.

Also, I see there's an OEM clip that can be had. That seems good because none of the smorgasbord of five different clips in the prog sized Bosch kits seems to fit either. The OEM clips are pricey and look nothing like the clips supplied in the replacement kit. Is that a wise investment?

Maybe I'll wisen up but jobbing what I need seems to take more work than the actual work in the garage.

BRex
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Jul 14 2018, 04:36 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,057
Region Association: Southern California

Read your front caliper brand and part number, or take a picture and call pub, they’ll have you set up in a jiffy. Someone may have put bmw 320 calipers or other parts on your car.
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Jul 14 2018, 04:37 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,057
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Jul 14 2018, 03:36 PM) *

Read your front caliper brand and part number, or take a picture and call pub, they’ll have you set up in a jiffy. Someone may have put bmw 320 calipers or other parts on your car.

PMB brakes
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 14 2018, 04:53 PM
Post #4

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Jul 14 2018, 07:37 PM) *

PMB brakes

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Almost none of us buy from anywhere else. Eric is an Admin here and he is a great guy. I'm assuming you are talking about stock brakes? How can anybody get that wrong? Now mine? That might be a bit more difficult as mine are aluminum calipers but even still, Eric gets that right...
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 14 2018, 05:04 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Figure out what caliper you have and go from there. 45 year old cars. People change things.
+Quote Post
briantrex
post Jul 14 2018, 11:41 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 22,135
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 14 2018, 05:53 PM) *

PMB brakes

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Almost none of us buy from anywhere else. Eric is an Admin here and he is a great guy. I'm assuming you are talking about stock brakes? How can anybody get that wrong? Now mine? That might be a bit more difficult as mine are aluminum calipers but even still, Eric gets that right...

Buying a set of Porterfield pads from them now. They sold me the rotors and rehabbed calipers. I bought the pads and a bleeding kit and a few other things from a marine bird purveyor. Should have just bought it turnkey from PMB.

Thanks for the help...
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 15 2018, 04:28 PM
Post #7

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(briantrex @ Jul 15 2018, 02:41 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 14 2018, 05:53 PM) *

PMB brakes

Buying a set of Porterfield pads from them now. They sold me the rotors and rehabbed calipers. I bought the pads and a bleeding kit and a few other things from a marine bird purveyor. Should have just bought it turnkey from PMB.

Thanks for the help...

Brookings?!?!

So you’re the guy in South Dakota with the 914! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Not many around. You must be lonely. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:43 PM