Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CV Joint Relube / Transaxle R&R WYAT
Movin6
post Jul 15 2018, 09:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,615
Region Association: North East States

So I keep finding while you're at it things to do since I removed my transaxle for a Dr. Evil rebuild clinic. New clutch, flywheel resurface, rear main seal, cleaned and repainted the muffler, etc.
What are your thoughts about half-shafts? (I asked a neighbor that was a Porsche mechanic when the cars were new, he said all the dealer did back then was replace them...)
I haven't touched them in at least 20 years. Is it easy to slide the boots off to wash out the old grease and repack the CV joints, or will I ruin the boots? (Order new ones first?) Swap them from left side to right side to wear the other side? Or do as my neighbor suggested - Leave them alone because the car doesn't do many miles anymore?
Thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 15 2018, 10:07 AM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Not a bad idea to have new boots. they are easily separated from the CV and usually don't rip.

Take the CV's apart and clean. Look for deep gouging or chips in the cage and body. Balls usually are reusable. Most times all the parts can be re-greased and reused. It can also be a good idea to swap the inner CV's for the outer. They tend to wear in different spots.

I don't think the make "914" CV's anymore but there are companies that modify T1 CV for 914 use.

Back in the day I use to pick up complete axle assemblies (used) from Part Heave for $50 each. My V8 914 would go through one per month on average, due to my driving style.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jul 15 2018, 10:32 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Don't know about repacking. New shafts are again available from Porsche.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:29 AM