Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Cayman Owners Roll Call, please check in here. 987, 987.2, 981, 718, GT4
VegasRacer
post Jul 16 2018, 02:10 AM
Post #1

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

I know there are several of us here who are smart enough / lucky enough to own a Cayman. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/crest.gif) Please check in here and provide some details.
What options did your car come with? What mods have you done? Any problems? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif) Don't forget to add some photos.

2012 Cayman R (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) 6 speed manual, sport chrono, sport exhaust, PCM, CF sport bucket seats, painted seat belt pass.
Purchased CPO 10/14. 5K miles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Currently 47K miles.

Modifications: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) tinted windows, clear side markers, radiator grill guards, titanium lug nuts, hard wired radar detector.

Problems: None. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Only recommended service plus replaced tires, battery, tires, TPMS and tires again.

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jrblackbox
post Jul 16 2018, 04:35 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,140

Very nice!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 16 2018, 08:44 AM
Post #3

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Trying to purchase one from a friend, he just can not give it up. Here is the drag, he does not drive it. Battery disconnected, sits in the corner of the garage. Used to be a beautiful car pampered as the day is long. Now he plays golf all the time, and does not drive the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 16 2018, 08:57 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Do not own one, in fact I have not even driven one yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

As a family we did stop off at a dealer for my wife to look at one, the salesman let my 12 year old daughter Taylor start it up and rev it up a few times which was very cool of him. Bright orange 718.

+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jul 16 2018, 09:45 AM
Post #5

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

? Cayman ?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Jul 16 2018, 10:38 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

Don’t own one but recently got a couple hot laps in this one at IMP. Would love to have one.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Jul 16 2018, 10:41 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

I own a 2008 Cayman and love it still. Has 70K miles and I consider it an evolutionary model of my 73 914.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 16 2018, 11:54 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The closest I have gotten is my daughter riding in yours John. To which she says that car is "Stupid sick". When she got back in mine & 2 minutes down the road asked "Is this what slumming it feels like" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Jul 16 2018, 01:33 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Well to start with I was only casually considering a Cayman.

After 4 years of finishing the 914, and having different problems arise when trying to take it on a trip, I started looking around for something that would be more reliable (and modern)

Saw a Sapphire Blue Cayman 718 at the local dealer and it was love at first sight. I don’t know why, this car just looks great in this color .

So I took the GF to see it when I picked up yet some more parts for the 914. Her first reaction was NO WAY! , you don’t have room for it, its too expensive, what are you going to do with the 914 etc, etc, etc.

She began to soften some after us being flatbedded home in the 914 with a broken rocker arm stud, then over heating due to a bad thermostat, the alternator giving up the ghost, and running home on battery twice. And finally the master cylinder going bad.

The Cayman with AC started to look a lot better.

I was playing around with the Porsche Configurator, since the Cayman on the dealers floor really did not have the options I would want in my dream car.

My dream car would be a 718 base in Sapphire Blue

PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM, PTV, PDLS lighting, Nav, base interior w/ heated seats, standard wheels. Sport exhaust tips, and a few other small bits. But this was all just a dream….

Then I find out that Porsche discontinued the Sapphire Blue color on the Cayman. So on a whim I do a search of the used cars and come across a 2017 Cayman S , Sapphire Blue, with the PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM +, PTV, PDLS lighting and a few good things I would not have picked such as the 20” Carrera wheels, two tone leather interior with Sport Tex heated seats. Minus the Nav but it was an “S” with the 350hp and the VTG turbo.
So one year old with 5200 miles, Porsche CPO warranty for 5 years unlimited mileage. (better than original warranty)

Now the GF was a little more interested, especially since it had AC. and the PDK which she could drive.

So we make the 300 drive from Pittsburgh to north of Philly to look at it, made the deal, then go back the next week with a trailer to pick it up.

I only have put around 1000 miles on it since I got it but it is phenomenal, both the power and handling. The two-tone interior I was a little worried about has grown on me, same as the Sport-Tex seats. This car has all the performance options I wanted and more, and doesn’t have some of the options I would NOT have wanted anyways such as the 14/18 way seats, Bose or Burnmeister stereo, LCA, adaptive cruise, things I would not have wanted to pay for.

It seems like someone ordered this car just for me and knew better than I did which options to choose. I knew if I did not buy this car I would forever be kicking myself for letting it get away. I plan on keeping it for 10+ years
Here are a couple pictures. Since we all like pictures…..

Yeah its the same car, the color looks different depending on lighting.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
KSCarrera
post Feb 26 2019, 03:06 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 22,846
Region Association: England

Just sold my 2014 981 Cayman PDK to buy my 914! Came with PASM, 20in Carrera wheels, Bose sound, communication package, sport exhaust, etc. Great car, but after owning hot-rod 911/912s and a 914/6, the Cayman was just too perfect, too soulless, so it had to go.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Minerva's 914
post Feb 26 2019, 03:59 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 19,489

Attached Image

Does a 987.2 Boxster count? It's mid-engined and you have the option of wind in the hair just like the 914. 2009, PDK with 62,000
+Quote Post
Super90
post Feb 26 2019, 04:51 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 12,423

2018, 718 Cayman S. Full leather, all options such as apple talk etc, pdk, sport chrono, 20" wheels, big brakes, a/c,and so on,..when you feed feed all the turbo boost you can to this little guy its a G force experience. Dont know why I'd ever consider a 911 after owning this rocket. Garage buddies with the teener, but the daily 'hoss is the Ford King Ranch truck.

Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Feb 26 2019, 05:12 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have a 2007 Cayman S with 21,000 miles, all stock. And lucky to still have my 914 for almost 40 years. 2019 will be the year to get it back on the road. Best, MarkAttached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Feb 26 2019, 05:13 AM
Post #14

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Wife’s brother drove his here last fall from Seattle, not directly, more of an upper US tour. No issues. Non S, PDK. I drove it around with him for about 20 minutes, immediately after driving the 914. Kinda like going from Brontosaurus burger to Chateau Briand...

Anyway, lovely car. He’s rather conservative, and drives as such. I may have put a scare or two into him driving like a typical Long Island jackass... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
iankarr
post Feb 26 2019, 07:04 AM
Post #15

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

2009 987.2 bought new. Use it as a DD and it’s been amazing. 100K miles now and it’s just getting started. I commute to NYC so I got the PDK. It seems to read your mind about what gear you’d like to be in. The biggest surprise is how great the car is in the snow (with winter rubber).

I do a lot of my own maintenance (oil, plugs, coils, brakes). The biggest issue I’ve had is the hatch release servo died. I replaced it and all is well again. Though I do have that much-discussed hatch rattle when it’s cold outside.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Feb 26 2019, 12:31 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 15,855

We have a 2006 Cayman S. Bought it from first owner with 25,000 miles in December 2008. Around 45,000 miles the oil vapor separator went bad and had to replace it, along with both the catalytic converters which went bad from all the oil it was burning. Had to replace the water pump at 70,000 miles. At 90,000 miles had to replace the serpentine belt and all the tensioner and idler bearings, including the alternator pulley bearing. At 105,000 miles had to replace all brake pads front and rear, as well as replace both front rotors and spark plugs. Also had to replace the horns because they both died around 60,000 miles. Car is stock with the Sport Chrono package. My wife uses it as her daily driver now. Overall it has been very reliable. No IMS issues so far.
+Quote Post
daytona
post Feb 26 2019, 02:19 PM
Post #17

daytona

Member No.: 17,249

I consider my self lucky to have been able to order a brand new Cayman S in April of 2007. I order the car with all the options I wanted.
Atlas gray with full leather terracotta interior, sports seats and steering wheel, PASM, PSM, Carrera wheels, Bi-Xenon headlights, Bose stereo. Only mod to the car was a change to clear indicator lenses that was a gift from the dealer.
The car now has 47,000 miles and has been mostly trouble free. Only issues were a broken seat adjuster knob, and a wandering radio that were serviced under warrantee. Post warrantee I've had an interior door handle break but was very reasonable to have it repaired. I still enjoy the car very much and see my self keeping it for a very long time. I have autocrossed the car a fair amount and have had a lot of fun with it. I am about at the end of usable life on the second set of tires, and change the oil and filter every year. The Cayman is also lucky enough to share the garage with some cool garage mates.
Bill.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
914_teener
post Feb 26 2019, 02:23 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

987.1 2006 Cayman S 6MT Lapis Blue. I too could not resist it in blue.

No PASM although I wish I had it sometimes depending what road I.m driving on. One thing I really love is the ECO mode for the air. Never have to mess with it.

No issues except some idler pullies ect. Normal maintenance stuff.

I don.t believe you can really drive on the street to test the envelope that this car is capable of. It is truly everything the 914 could have been in it's era

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Feb 26 2019, 02:25 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

Vision......

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Feb 26 2019, 02:26 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Hate when that happens....
+Quote Post

10 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:36 AM