Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> How do I alert others about my experience?, (Scott Burnett/Kahiko Customs & Restoration)
Cairo94507
post Jul 16 2018, 07:17 AM
Post #1

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

So next week will be 1 year since I pulled my car from Scotty's shop, (KAHIKO CUSTOMS & RESTORATION, Scott Burnett, 106H Roxbury Industrial, Charles City, VA 23030) and I am still missing parts Scott has still never found in his shop....

Though Scott has admitted he owes me money, and I have asked him to send what he said he owed me, I have never seen a single penny.

I paid Scott $29,600 and traded him my 3.0 running motor ($7,500 value?) for work- not an insignificant amount. I have copies of the checks, pictures of the motor, an invoice from Scott showing work I was charged for, etc. I have avoided posting a lot of the pictures of the condition in which I found my car when I picked it up after Scott had it for 61 months, but I can. Trust me, Kent has now got over 350 hours into getting the chassis ready for paint.

I am aware of two other member who experienced similar trouble with Scott and pulled their cars from his shop as well.

When I first began dealings with Scott he seemed to be a solid dude who had done some great work in the past. However after he injured his back, maybe 1.5 years into my build, it seemed like everything changed dramatically and he never got back to what he may have once been.

I want to post about my experience so anyone searching for a shop in the near future can make an informed decision regarding their shop selection. How would you go about that? Where would you post that- specifically, what other car forums should I alert, if any? Looking for helpful suggestions. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 16 2018, 07:28 AM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

I think that you just did, & all you need to do is add the actual name of the shop & owner for newbies coming on here & reading this.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jul 16 2018, 07:39 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

Anybody who has followed your ongoing debacle with the formerly esteemed Scotty and who can read knows to steer clear of him. I think you need to stay firm, outspoken, and consistent with the facts of your treatment by him.

You've been nothing but fair, but you were ripped off for years.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 16 2018, 07:41 AM
Post #4

Michael

Thanks guys. I added the name of his shop and the address in case he changes the name in the future. I have always strived to take the high road and be fair. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 16 2018, 08:14 AM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

6 years for me. Car sat for years while Scott held $5k deposit then had the nerve to say I owed him money. For the $15k I paid, car was supposed to get to primer. It’s only about half done. Our shop metal guy called the work amateurish at best and a lot of it needs to be redone. He’s A pro at taking a 10 foot photo and calling it metalwork.
And yea, I’m missing a bunch of parts too. Lots of the stuff he received for the build were scratched or damaged. I’ve moved on but feel sick to my stomach when I see what was done to Michals car. Calling it a mistake made by his assistant is a joke. Scott lived above his shop in an appt. He was there and saw what was going on everyday. If I had gotten my car painted by him, I sure would be concerned what was underneath.

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 16 2018, 08:18 AM
Post #6

Michael

Thanks for adding your personal experience Mark. I know it is embarrassing to admit when we have been taken advantage of. I just hope to prevent another from falling victim to Scott Burnett and his non-stop BS. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jul 16 2018, 08:20 AM
Post #7

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Perhaps a Yelp review? I know, a slightly strange vehicle, but they do have a lot of presence on Google for people searching.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 16 2018, 08:24 AM
Post #8

Michael

Great idea. Thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 16 2018, 08:27 AM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

I think theres a reason why he disappeared from World, Pelican, EarlySreg, Dorkiphus, ect. I'm sure there are more angry people that he scammed.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 16 2018, 08:32 AM
Post #10

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

You guys are the tips of the iceberg and MUCH calmer than I would be.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 16 2018, 08:35 AM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jul 16 2018, 10:20 AM) *

Perhaps a Yelp review? I know, a slightly strange vehicle, but they do have a lot of presence on Google for people searching.

Facebook if you really want to get the word out. Also Pelican and earlySregistry
+Quote Post
flmont
post Jul 16 2018, 08:45 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sounds like fraud to me,I would have the cops all over that guy quick..!!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 16 2018, 09:04 AM
Post #13

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(flmont @ Jul 16 2018, 10:45 AM) *

Sounds like fraud to me,I would have the cops all over that guy quick..!!

In my case it would be difficult. Most of the interaction was verbal until he sent me a final invoice that he constructed the way he wanted it to look. Verbally he said I had paid all that was needed to get to a certain point but then the final invoice had him owed more money. My PM box had filled up so I had deleted the PM's from him. I switched banks years ago so no way to show I had paid and he sat on the money for years. My attorney friend always says whoever documents the best is the winner. In my case, that's not me.

For me, part of the pain is having accepted excuse after excuse for years and giving him a pass. I saw him getting done other peoples work (smaller jobs) while mine sat. He kept on saying that he was planning on spending X amount of weeks on mine but it never happened. So I got suckered but like Michael, I don't want it to happen to others.

Like Michael says, Its not easy to stand up and say I've been scammed. When I picked up my car, I was so disheartened by the way it looked, I shoved in in the back corner of the shop for 2 years.
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Jul 16 2018, 09:27 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 10,428

I'm sorry to hear these stories and quite disappointed in Scotty B.

I've been scammed in the past. It hurts more when it's done by a "friend."

Thanks for bringing these issues to light.

Hang tough guys.
+Quote Post
DaveO90s4
post Jul 16 2018, 03:25 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 19,935
Region Association: None

I would think your deleted PM's will still exist on a server or backup somewhere.

Your bank records from your other bank likewise.

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 16 2018, 04:32 PM
Post #16

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Sad to hear this.
As far as litigation goes, no one really wins. Unless yheres deep pockets, then still not so much. Probably best to cjalk it up tp lesson learand do what you did by letting oyhers know about your experience.

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 16 2018, 05:06 PM
Post #17

Michael

I will likely post to the World, Pelican, Early S and finally Dorkiphus. I will pick about 20 photos that visually characterize the lack of quality of the work he did to my car to post with a brief summary of facts.

I also started a Yelp page for his business and will hopefully be able to add narrative to that to warn off others.

All I can really say is I was always overly nice, professional and generous with Scott. He promised me a concours car, actually a almost concours car as that was what I wanted. Scott even told me that because of the all of the delays, I would get way more than I paid for. Well.....I got way more than I paid for all right. I got screwed by a guy I suspect, after seeing him in July of 2017, has a serious substance abuse problem who is likely barely getting by month to month, living in his shop in all likelihood. I treated him right and he screwed me royally. I hope he gets all that is coming to him.

OK, sorry guys. I had to get that off my chest. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 16 2018, 05:22 PM
Post #18

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Jul 16 2018, 05:25 PM) *

I would think your deleted PM's will still exist on a server or backup somewhere.

Your bank records from your other bank likewise.

I agree. I could probably retrieve it but that leaves me in the same spot. I decided awhile ago to cut my losses and move on. Scott was always broke even when I was sending him money. I have no interest in wasting my time trying to get blood from a stone. Hopefully Michael will get the money Scott promised him.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 16 2018, 05:24 PM
Post #19

Michael

Yeah, hope springs eternal...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
flmont
post Jul 16 2018, 06:43 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'am sure if he's acted this way with others collectively he can be out of the car restoration business for good if he is a dope head he can go to prison for that but, no question he is a Bernie Madoff of car restoration's so it seems..It angers me and I'am not even involved with that Prick.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:24 AM