Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Frustrated in Louisville
Mblizzard
post Jul 17 2018, 01:38 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

A lot of other useful information on electrical compiled from various sources that I wish I remembered.

Attached File  Binder1.pdf ( 490.6k ) Number of downloads: 109
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914time
post Jul 17 2018, 01:41 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 17,750
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Don't give up!

You can do this.

Lot's of great suggestions/steps here already.

Take some of these guys up on their offers and get it on the road!
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Jul 17 2018, 05:33 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 18,984
Region Association: None

That's not a garage that's a dungeon open the door and paint some stripes on that baby (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Jul 17 2018, 08:31 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

Take a deep breath and take one step at time.
The good thing is that you have a lot of people on the world to assist you with any and all issues.

Maybe someone Local can offer you a ride in a 914 and that will get you motivated.

You can do it!!!
+Quote Post
dabird
post Jul 18 2018, 06:11 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 18,025

took me a bit to find the fuel pump. The good news is a previous owner relocated it to the front under the steering rack. I couldn't see it until i removed the steering rack cover panel. the bad news is the pump seems to be dead. I put 12v to it straight from the battery and nothing. I also found a torn steering rack boot while i was down there. Looks like i need a new fuel pump. it seems from a few searches the newer style 2 port pump is the way to go.

I'm also planning on taking some of you Louisville guys up on your offers to help. I need to get the garage door operational first so there will be more light and fresh air.
+Quote Post
dabird
post May 26 2019, 08:09 PM
Post #26

and...... I'm back... just short of a year since my last post in this thread. The garage door is operational and today I installed a new Bosch 2 port pump in place of the dead 3 port. The car now fires right up on a flick of the key. When I ordered the fuel pump I also ordered an FJ67 injector to replace the one I had that was leaking. Now that the car is running my leaky injectors have multiplied and now there are two. I plan on taking care of the injectors in the next week or two and then I'll hopefully be able to finally give the car a test run without too much fear of it burning to the ground.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post May 26 2019, 10:51 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

QUOTE(dabird @ Jul 17 2018, 11:06 AM) *

Went out to the garage just now because I wanted to which injector was leaking. I also thought hearing the car run a few seconds would get me motivated. Well, that plan backfired. Couldn't get it to start... just cranks. Added some fresh gas .. just cranks... now I've had plenty of German cars that wouldn't start.. pretty much every Scirocco I ever owned ( and I've owned a handful) so it's not the end of the world ... just another bummer in the saga of 914 ownership. Pretty sure I can hear the relay click but I'm not hearing the pump run for a second or two... anyone have a quick rundown on how to test the pump?

Scirocco's can be a nightmare, my first car was an 82!

Concerning your car, one trick that works for a lot of guys, me included, is set a goal when you want it roadworthy, like an event six months from now. I know lots of 356 guys that do this with the annual 356 Registry holiday, which is normally in the fall, starting in the winter they start cranking away. Since their is a goal it makes the time count. Like a normal Saturday, you're thinking, is it worth getting greasy for a couple of hours, if you have a goal anything more an an hour becomes a yes.
Good luck.
+Quote Post
Carl La Fong
post May 26 2019, 11:18 PM
Post #28

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 23,000

I spent a lot of time in looavull when I worked for the “ freight nazi’s”. Great town. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
dabird
post Jun 9 2019, 11:47 AM
Post #29

Getting so close . Fixed the fuel issues and in the process of bleeding the brakes I noticed one of the front soft lines had ruptured. Replaced both fronts yesterday . I'm still having a really difficult time bleeding the brakes , but since the car is running and able to somewhat come to a stop, I decided to get it out if the garage and give it a quick bath. This is the first time it's been out of the garage in a few years so I'm calling that major progress!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jun 9 2019, 12:23 PM
Post #30

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Way to go! Nothing like getting some seat time in, even if it's only from the garage to the street.

When in doubt replace all the rubber brake lines, when they go bad they often swell closed internally and act like a one way check valve. The bad thing is you can't tell by looking at them.

As far as bleeding, do you have an air compressor? I got an extra brake reservoir cap and put a tire valve on it, and then I use a clip on air chuck to put air on top the brake fluid to push new fluid through the system, and it makes it a one man job.

I have a 2nd regulator and dial it down to 20 psi, otherwise you'll blow the rubber lines off the reservoir. Some cars (early ones) have an over flow tube on the reservoir and you need to crimp that while pressure bleeding. I temporarily remove the plastic filter and add brake fluid until it's almost full, put the modified can on, clip on the air line and bleed the system. Sequence is right rear, left rear, right front, left front. Don't let the brake fluid get too low or you'll have to start all over. The closer you get to the reservoir the quicker it will run through fluid. FWIW the factory service interval on brake fluid is every two years.
+Quote Post
dirk2056
post Jun 9 2019, 04:50 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 21,304
Region Association: Middle East

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) These cars take time!! but easy to fix most of the time! Check the gas tank if the car has been sitting rust forms and blocks filter and fuel pressure causes all kinds of problems. Best of luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 9 2019, 05:06 PM
Post #32

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Congratulations on getting it out of the garage and washing it. Your cars looks great. I agree with the above, I would replace all 4 soft brake lines and then bleed away. Not sure how long the gas has been in the tank, but draining and taking a peak inside might be a good idea. If it looks clean and does not smell like old varnish, then top it off and see if ti runs OK. Good luck and don't tackle more than 1 project at a time or else these cars tend to grow jack stands. Cheers, Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
RolinkHaus
post Jun 9 2019, 05:14 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 22,330

Dabird,

Just saw your post. I had to replace all brake and fuel lines. These 914's are a labor of love. I grew up in Louisville, now north of Indy.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dabird
post Jun 9 2019, 05:48 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 9 2019, 07:06 PM) *

Congratulations on getting it out of the garage and washing it. Your cars looks great. I agree with the above, I would replace all 4 soft brake lines and then bleed away. Not sure how long the gas has been in the tank, but draining and taking a peak inside might be a good idea. If it looks clean and does not smell like old varnish, then top it off and see if ti runs OK. Good luck and don't tackle more than 1 project at a time or else these cars tend to grow jack stands. Cheers, Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

The gas tank/fuel is fine. It came to me as a car that was driven semi- regularly. I also drained out most of the gas when I installed a new 2 port fuel pump last month. As if right now it runs great, I've just had problems getting a good pedal after installing the PMB rear calipers. I replaced both front soft lines yesterday. I'm not looking forward to doing the rears because they seem like a major pain. After a bunch of old school 2 person bleeding and then a gravity bleed I was able to get enough pedal to take a trip around the block and actually get into 2nd gear =)
+Quote Post
Carl La Fong
post Jun 9 2019, 06:21 PM
Post #35

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 23,000

Did you bleed the brakes in the proper sequence? RR, LR, RF, then LF? If you did, disregard this post. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
dabird
post Jun 9 2019, 06:57 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Jun 9 2019, 08:21 PM) *

Did you bleed the brakes in the proper sequence? RR, LR, RF, then LF? If you did, disregard this post. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yes, I did. I'm going to recheck the pad clearance and try to borrow a power bleeder
+Quote Post
dabird
post Jun 9 2019, 07:00 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Jun 9 2019, 08:21 PM) *

Yes, I did. I'm going to recheck the pad clearance and try to borrow a power bleeder
+Quote Post
dabird
post Jun 23 2019, 02:09 PM
Post #38

Brakes still aren't up to snuff, but it will stop and after four years in the garage I couldn't take it anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdQq1dw5HkY
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 23 2019, 02:31 PM
Post #39

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 02:54 PM