Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Size of Butyl Tape for Winshield/Rear Glass Install, questions on what adhesive to use on glass
porsche914_73
post Jul 18 2018, 07:32 PM
Post #1

Fred Larracuente

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,149
Region Association: South East States

Hi Guys!

Questions and more questions about windshield/rear glass sealants to use on my rebuild:

1. What is the correct size of butyl tape that I should use when reinstalling the windshield and rear glass?

2. Any reasons why I should use modern windshield sealant instead of butyl tape like the factory did?

3. I'm going for a dechromed look on my rebuild (L96B Alaska Blue with dechrome and roll bar vinyl delete, gloss black painted bumbers, rockers, 2.0 Fuchs). Have anybody had any experience with the windshield rubber moulding kit that 914rubber.com sells?

Windshield Chrome Replacement Rubber on 914Rubber.com

I believe the butyl tape it should be 10mm as used in a kit on 914rubber.com for the rear glass but want to make sure that is the size. Last time I got a windshield installed, the installer used the black goo adhesive that comes in a tube but excess can be seen on the edge past the chrome moulding so also affecting the height glass and the moulding fitment. Have no doubt that it will hold but maybe he just used too much. What adhesive do you guys use/prefer? There's some butyl tape/rope/cord for sale on eBay (1/4, 3/16 and 5/16 sizes) and it states is suitable for windshields but open to your opinion.

5/16 Butyl tape on Ebay

Thanks for your comments,
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 11:10 AM