Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '74 2.0L in Ice Green @ RM Sotheby's Auction
Cal
post Jul 31 2018, 12:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

This should be an interesting auction to watch in late August. I've never seen a paint to sample in Ice Green on a 914....it looks pretty incredible. No reserve with estimates between $45K - $65K.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO18/Mon...e-914-20/700362

This car was also discussed on 914world previously.....below is the thread. The car was for sale for $30K 2 years ago.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...293443&st=0

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 31 2018, 12:38 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yep that looks like Ross's car alright. It's a nice one for sure.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jul 31 2018, 01:43 PM
Post #3

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My favorite color. Beautiful car.
+Quote Post
Ed_Turbo
post Jul 31 2018, 01:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 21,151
Region Association: Southern California

I would not cut corners doing a full restoration without cleaning the 2.0/tranny when it is out. If you going to go all out then the details make the difference. I bet they did not even know the look is not original from the factory. These bidders at Sotheby’s are very picky.

Looks clean though, nice combo.

-Ed
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jul 31 2018, 02:59 PM
Post #5

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Most beautiful 914 color ever! I remember that car when Ross found it; didn't realize he sold it a couple of years ago. Special car.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 31 2018, 03:58 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 31 2018, 02:59 PM) *

Most beautiful 914 color ever! I remember that car when Ross found it; didn't realize he sold it a couple of years ago. Special car.

It was listed for interested parties before she was reassembled but I don't know if it ever sold.... maybe Ross has got some interest from the auction crowd!
+Quote Post
halmil
post Jul 31 2018, 04:07 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 14,585
Region Association: None

The post from 2 years ago states 78,000 miles. The auction piece states 74,000???

A very nice car and I hope they get their price
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 31 2018, 06:10 PM
Post #8

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(halmil @ Jul 31 2018, 02:07 PM) *

The post from 2 years ago states 78,000 miles. The auction piece states 74,000???

A very nice car and I hope they get their price

Very easy. Just ask Ferris to help you.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 31 2018, 06:16 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 73

QUOTE(worn @ Jul 31 2018, 07:10 PM) *

I see what you did there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=louFRE4vwHY

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 31 2018, 06:22 PM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

When I bought my red ‘71, the PO gave me an engine lid from an ice green parts car that he cut up. Original paint.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 31 2018, 09:34 PM
Post #11

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Cal @ Jul 31 2018, 12:02 PM) *

This should be an interesting auction to watch in late August. I've never seen a paint to sample in Ice Green on a 914....it looks pretty incredible. No reserve with estimates between $45K - $65K.

This car was also discussed on 914world previously.....below is the thread. The car was for sale for $30K 2 years ago.

I was wondering when this would surface. My friend Michael Ferguson (Ferg on here) mentioned my car to one of the Sotheby guys and they ended up calling me to see if I would be interested in consigning it to the Monterey auction. I was just finishing putting it back together and am preparing to move down to Tennessee, so the sale of the car worked out well.

I put it up for sale a few years ago because I was dreading the reassembly (doing everything myself), but in the end I think I'm glad it didn't sell back then.

The auction is No Reserve, and I didn't give Sotheby's the estimate they arrived at (their analysis, not mine). I'm definitely interested in seeing how the auction goes, and plan to make the whole trip one of those bucket list experiences!

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 31 2018, 12:38 PM) *

Thanks Chris, maybe now I'll be able to focus more on Apollo!

QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Jul 31 2018, 01:45 PM) *

I would not cut corners doing a full restoration without cleaning the 2.0/tranny when it is out. If you going to go all out then the details make the difference. I bet they did not even know the look is not original from the factory. These bidders at Sotheby’s are very picky.

-Ed

Ed not sure what you mean by cut corners... The engine and transmission were both fully cleaned when they were out (lots of elbow grease!). There is some discoloration from corrosion on the aluminum, but not any good way to achieve a perfect original finish on that and keep the original cases.

I'll admit I'm quite nervous about the car being auctioned (having never done anything close to a Sotheby's auction), but certainly excited!

Didn't sell it, just toyed with the idea (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . I do love the color though, and when I get around to restoring/sprucing up my flared 6, this color is going to he at the top of my list during the repaint. It really pops!

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 31 2018, 03:58 PM) *

It was listed for interested parties before she was reassembled but I don't know if it ever sold.... maybe Ross has got some interest from the auction crowd!

Correct!

QUOTE(halmil @ Jul 31 2018, 04:07 PM) *

A very nice car and I hope they get their price.

That old ad was written up pretty hastily while the car was in pieces, so I threw out a ballpark mileage from my memory. I think I used pretty loose terminology with regards to the mileage in the old ad.

The current mileage in the Sotheby's photos is correct.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 31 2018, 06:22 PM) *

When I bought my red ‘71, the PO gave me an engine lid from an ice green parts car that he cut up. Original paint.

You and I have discussed this before, I'm still of the opinion that the decklid you have a picture of is Marathon Blue, it just doesn't look like it's the same color as ice Green Metallic to me.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if there were another 914 this color somewhere, but can say I haven't heard of one yet (and I've been looking for a while!).
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 31 2018, 09:36 PM
Post #12

Professional Enthusiast

I'd like to add that I regret the photo shoot was before I had dialed in the suspension or mounted the vintage sized tires... It was a bit too low in the front for the pictures!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 31 2018, 10:07 PM
Post #13

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 31 2018, 11:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Cal @ Jul 31 2018, 12:02 PM) *

I was wondering when this would surface. A friend mentioned my car to one of the Sotheby guys in passing and they ended up calling me to see if I would be interested in consigning it to the Monterey auction. I was just finishing putting it back together and am preparing to move down to Tennessee, so the sale of the car worked out well.

I put it up for sale a few years ago because I was dreading the reassembly (doing everything myself), but in the end I think I'm glad it didn't sell back then.

The auction is No Reserve, and I didn't give Sotheby's the estimate they arrived at (their analysis, not mine). I'm definitely interested in seeing how the auction goes, and plan to make the whole trip one of those bucket list experiences!

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 31 2018, 12:38 PM) *

Thanks Chris, maybe now I'll be able to focus more on Apollo!

QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Jul 31 2018, 01:45 PM) *

-Ed

Ed not sure what you mean by cut corners... The engine and transmission were both fully cleaned when they were out (lots of elbow grease!). There is some discoloration from corrosion on the aluminum, but not any good way to achieve a perfect original finish on that and keep the original cases.

I'll admit I'm quite nervous about the car being auctioned (having never done anything close to a Sotheby's auction), but certainly excited!

Didn't sell it, just toyed with the idea (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . I do love the color though, and when I get around to restoring/sprucing up my flared 6, this color is going to he at the top of my list during the repaint. It really pops!

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 31 2018, 03:58 PM) *

Correct!

QUOTE(halmil @ Jul 31 2018, 04:07 PM) *

A very nice car and I hope they get their price.

That old ad was written up pretty hastily while the car was in pieces, so I threw out a ballpark mileage from my memory. I think I used pretty loose terminology with regards to the mileage in the old ad.

The current mileage in the Sotheby's photos is correct.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 31 2018, 06:22 PM) *

You and I have discussed this before, I'm still of the opinion that the decklid you have a picture of is Marathon Blue, it just doesn't look like it's the same color as ice Green Metallic to me.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if there were another 914 this color somewhere, but can say I haven't heard of one yet (and I've been looking for a while!).

My engine lid is ice green. Matches an ice green 911 at our shop perfectly. It was a common color for 911's, back in the day. We also had an ice green targa that was smashed and got parted out. Colors can turn out so weird on photos. I've taken pictures of my red car on a sunny day and it comes out orange. Unfortunately, all I have is the engine lid. The PO still had the doors but they were late and sort of rusty so I left them behind. Too bad the car got cut up. It would have been cool to see your cars brother.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jul 31 2018, 10:20 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 31 2018, 08:36 PM) *

I'd like to add that I regret the photo shoot was before I had dialed in the suspension or mounted the vintage sized tires... It was a bit too low in the front for the pictures!

Great looking car, Ross! And too funny you mention the tires, as I was thinking about how the crowd this car is going to would swoon over XWXs or similar.

Actually reached out to the RM folks today due to this post—if you're interested in previewing the car at Rare Shades, we'd be thrilled to see it there. It's so very cool…

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

pete

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jul 31 2018, 10:22 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

Is this the car that got crashed into after you started another car in gear?

The restoration looks good if it is.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 31 2018, 10:28 PM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 1 2018, 12:22 AM) *

Didn't look like a bad hit. The metal surgeon made it look better than new.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Aug 1 2018, 03:19 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Mystery solved! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
So now you're hanging out at Octeenerfest instead of RRC.... they're a good group of guys back there so you'll be in good company. Just try to talk them into 2 days of driving instead of one when you go! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Cal
post Aug 1 2018, 05:08 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 31 2018, 11:36 PM) *

Nice car Ross.....GLWS. What vintage sized tires did you end up putting on?
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 1 2018, 08:08 AM
Post #19

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jul 31 2018, 10:20 PM) *

Great looking car, Ross! And too funny you mention the tires, as I was thinking about how the crowd this car is going to would swoon over XWXs or similar.

Actually reached out to the RM folks today due to this post—if you're interested in previewing the car at Rare Shades, we'd be thrilled to see it there. It's so very cool…

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

pete

Pete,

I would love to, I'm just not sure how everything with Sotheby's will work (if they'll let me preview it somewhere else). I'll talk to my contact for the auction and see if I can make it work and get back to you ASAP.

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 31 2018, 10:22 PM) *

Haha, I think I'll be roasted of the fire here for eternity for that mistake. Neutral safety interlock switches are now mandatory on all my cars!

Its the same one. I took it to the best metalworking place in Denver in my opinion, and I legitimately think its straighter now than it was before the incident.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 31 2018, 10:28 PM) *

Didn't look like a bad hit. The metal surgeon made it look better than new.

Jon and his crew at The Metal Surgeon are Masters of their craft. And the best part is now I get to go down there and drool over the other cars they are working on (like the 718 RSK they just finished restoring)

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Aug 1 2018, 03:19 AM) *

Mystery solved! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
So now you're hanging out at Octeenerfest instead of RRC.... they're a good group of guys back there so you'll be in good company. Just try to talk them into 2 days of driving instead of one when you go! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Yes sir, although this year I'm going to a vintage driving event in Oregon (Classic Car Adventures Fall Classic) instead of Okteenerfest. Maybe next year...

QUOTE(Cal @ Aug 1 2018, 05:08 AM) *

Nice car Ross.....GLWS. What vintage sized tires did you end up putting on?

I went with the Vredestein Sprint Classics, but some period Michelins would have been really cool.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 22 2018, 07:12 AM
Post #20

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

I flipped through all the pictures on the Sothby's site. That may be the prettiest /4 I've ever seen.

The green car at Amelia was a time capsule car, and I'm glad to have been able to go over it in person and get a ton of pictures.

But Ross's car is prettier.

Zach
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:34 AM