Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Valuations for Hagerty renewal
bandjoey
post Aug 9 2018, 01:54 PM
Post #1

bandjoey

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Renewing my Hagerty for another year and with $12000 value.
73, 2.0 4cyl. Rust repaired and average interior and paint. Runs and shifts great. Driver category. Pedrini wheels new Continental tires. Dell 36 carbs.

They show $11k fair and $17 good. By their definitions it’s a fair and half and not quite a good. What do you think on valuation? Not enough? I still see average cars advertised in the $9-$10 range.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Aug 9 2018, 01:57 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Maybe check the Excellence valuations or sales data from Bring a Trailer for comps.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 9 2018, 02:23 PM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

If yours is an average car, the value is what you expect a like replacement will cost you, then it's fine. If you think it's worth more, in better condition than stated, they will often ask for an professional appraisal.

This is common with Hagerty, if you're asking for average 7/10 quality replacement value they likely won't ask you for an appraisal. But when you ask for a 9/10-10/10 value they will ask for the appraisal to back up your claim. In this case they may also ask you to have it reappraised every so often.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Aug 9 2018, 02:48 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

When I renewed Hagerty for both of my 914's I sent pictures and requested values quite a bit higher than that 17K and had no issues. My'71 is my first car and I've had it since new so to me it's priceless, but they at least thought it was worth at least 25K...
The '73 is restored and better than new, and will also always stay in the family so it is valued at more than 25...
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 9 2018, 02:53 PM
Post #5

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Original 2L in decent nick seems to be high teens low 20's. Sub 2k for the fuel injection, I think your a hair shy of its replacement value.

I'd say at least 15k.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 9 2018, 03:26 PM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 9 2018, 04:53 PM) *

Original 2L in decent nick seems to be high teens low 20's. Sub 2k for the fuel injection, I think your a hair shy of its replacement value.

I'd say at least 15k.

My average ‘71 is insured for $15. I would go $20k agreed value for a 73-74 2.0.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 9 2018, 03:36 PM
Post #7

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 9 2018, 12:54 PM) *

73, 2.0 4cyl. Rust repaired and average interior and paint. Runs and shifts great. Driver category. Pedrini wheels new Continental tires. Dell 36 carbs.

They show $11k fair and $17 good. By their definitions it’s a fair and half and not quite a good. What do you think on valuation? Not enough? I still see average cars advertised in the $9-$10 range.

Bill,

It's always a good idea to over-insure a bit for cars which are appreciating when on the stated or agreed value policy - because that caps your recovery, which may not be enough after 6-12 months of price/value increases.

So you might want to go for the Good value & clean it up a bit, fix a few items to make it Fair.75 - Good condition, then take a bunch of pix (repeat & adjust values every year).

You might also want to price Grundy, Leland & the other classic car insurers who advertise in Panorama, Excellence, Hemmings, etc., & some of the majors do it too (AAA, State Farm, etc.).

PS - I agree & lean toward a $20-25K agreed value for a 73-74 2L, as others have said above. You may pay a few dollars more for insurance, but you'll have a better cushion on coverage for either repairs or finding a decent replacement.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Aug 9 2018, 05:14 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

What are they charging you for the agreed value?
+Quote Post
Coastal6
post Aug 9 2018, 05:30 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 11,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I got an agreed value with State Farm. It was less expensive than Lealand because I could add the car on with my other cars for a multiple car discount.

Didn’t much care for Leland West. Every time I called them to change something on my policy they would always screw up the details and it would take multiple calls to straighten things out.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 9 2018, 05:52 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I haven't had my car insured for less than 50k for the last 5 years. Once my new motor is done I plan to bump it to 75k. It appraised for that for replacement value. Guy doing the appraisal's is more a Mopar guy but knows restorations. The key for that being you need to price it out at what it will cost a shop to replicate all the work. So when dealing with a more custom car. You can't just go buy one because there isn't another car like yours. Was kind of eye opening for me & changed my way of thinking. I could certainly build the car myself for a lot less. I would consider getting it appraised. With the value's going so nuts the last few years. It will probably appraise for more than you think
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Aug 9 2018, 06:02 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 9 2018, 04:52 PM) *

I haven't had my car insured for less than 50k for the last 5 years. Once my new motor is done I plan to bump it to 75k. It appraised for that for replacement value. Guy doing the appraisal's is more a Mopar guy but knows restorations. The key for that being you need to price it out at what it will cost a shop to replicate all the work. So when dealing with a more custom car. You can't just go buy one because there isn't another car like yours. Was kind of eye opening for me & changed my way of thinking. I could certainly build the car myself for a lot less. I would consider getting it appraised. With the value's going so nuts the last few years. It will probably appraise for more than you think

Really need to revisit my insurance, and the bolded text above really resonates for agreed value. I've had that old car for 28 years, and there's no way I'd be able to find one like it out there. "Better" 914s, sure. One truly like mine? No way. If I were to drop a good donor car and then ask a shop to build the same car, it would be fearsomely expensive...to the point that I doubt there are many insurance companies that would insure for that.

But it's time to approach it with a bit of the above and "Okay, if the worst happens, what would fill that hole?" I can think of 1-2 cars that would at roughly similar money to what I'd sell my car for. Maybe that's the right number?
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Aug 9 2018, 06:20 PM
Post #12

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

This thread made me call my agent, Jake w State Farm (Really!). He said The car’s value was at $18,800. Andyrew has seen the car up close and said that value seemed about right. Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
914_teener
post Aug 9 2018, 06:26 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(Big Len @ Aug 9 2018, 04:14 PM) *

$175 per year 20k agreed value.

AAA.

73. Stock with a few suspension goodies.
+Quote Post
My 914
post Aug 9 2018, 07:31 PM
Post #14

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

I would go 18 to 20K for your car. It's a reasonable amount that the insurance company shouldn't have a problem with.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 9 2018, 08:28 PM
Post #15

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 9 2018, 02:36 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 9 2018, 12:54 PM) *

Bill,

It's always a good idea to over-insure a bit for cars which are appreciating when on the stated or agreed value policy - because that caps your recovery, which may not be enough after 6-12 months of price/value increases.

So you might want to go for the Good value & clean it up a bit, fix a few items to make it Fair.75 - Good condition, then take a bunch of pix (repeat & adjust values every year).

You might also want to price Grundy, Leland & the other classic car insurers who advertise in Panorama, Excellence, Hemmings, etc., & some of the majors do it too (AAA, State Farm, etc.).

PS - I agree & lean toward a $20-25K agreed value for a 73-74 2L, as others have said above. You may pay a few dollars more for insurance, but you'll have a better cushion on coverage for either repairs or finding a decent replacement.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

What Tom said (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post
wes
post Aug 9 2018, 08:50 PM
Post #16

wes

Member No.: 8,436

QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 9 2018, 05:26 PM) *

AAA.

Wow need to talk to my agent, you’ve got my attention mine is AAA also, good driver no accidents with house and 5 cars, two drivers but the 914 is only me $473 per year agreed value $25,000 and all they know about the car is recently restored. I wonder if that’s California $$. Oh Just noticed your Southern California I’m in The bergs of Northern California.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 9 2018, 09:00 PM
Post #17

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(wes @ Aug 9 2018, 10:50 PM) *

AAA.

Wow need to talk to my agent, you’ve got my attention mine is AAA also, good driver no accidents with house and 5 cars, two drivers but the 914 is only me $473 per year agreed value $25,000 and all they know about the car is recently restored. I wonder if that’s California $$. Oh Just noticed your Southern California I’m in The bergs of Northern California.

I have 2 914's insured right now. first one is $140/year. 2nd one is $70. Both are antique tag but in PA, I can still drive them whenever I want.
+Quote Post
wes
post Aug 9 2018, 09:08 PM
Post #18

wes

Member No.: 8,436

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 9 2018, 08:00 PM) *

QUOTE(wes @ Aug 9 2018, 10:50 PM) *

AAA.

I have 2 914's insured right now. first one is $140/year. 2nd one is $70. Both are antique tag but in PA, I can still drive them whenever I want.

I’ll be talking with my agent first thing Monday morning!
One more reason to love the 914world
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:18 AM