Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yet another RennShift install
Alfred
post Jul 14 2003, 06:52 PM
Post #21

Unregistered

Howard, do you surf? Any idea how many 914s there are in Australia?

Alfred

(IMG:http://persweb.direct.ca/aschwenk/surf_por.jpg)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Jul 14 2003, 08:05 PM
Post #22

Fear the Jack Stands

Group: Members
Member No.: 154
Region Association: None

Right Hand Drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 14 2003, 09:11 PM
Post #23

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

That's more believable than the last one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Downunderman
post Jul 14 2003, 11:13 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 766
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Alfred,

I still surf occasionally, but there's no way my car is getting that close to salt water. About 15 years ago my brother lived on the top of a cliff above the ocean and left his car outside. the spray dissolved his honda in less than 2 years!
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jul 15 2003, 09:10 PM
Post #25

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Update on the RennShift(er)...

I FINALLY got to go on a test drive...and I picked a pretty ambitious route...Cornell Rd - Mulholland Hwy- Kanan - Latigo Cyn - PCH - Encinal Cyn - Mullholland - Kanan - Cornell

Woohoo! This is a LONG (>90 minutes I think) loop with a mix of very fast sweepers and some insanely tight (and dangerous) stuff. I mean tight...2nd gear at almost full steering wheel lock in same places.

Anyways...the shifter RULES (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) I got used to it really quickly (i.e. only grabbed 4th by mistake once) and after that had much more confidence than with my maladjusted, weak-springed stock shifter. I lucked out and got the adjustment almost perfect on the first try, too. The up or downshift into 3rd, which is very important and frequent on some tracks, is especially sweet. The lever stops make it really "positive". With more practice my 2nd gear will get more precise and quicker too.

I forgot to mention one other super minor installation issue BTW, which is an exception that wouldn't affect everybody. I had to remove a tiny amount of material from my aftermarket aluminum Momo shift knob for it to fit on the shaft. So it seems like the shaft is just a smidgen bigger diameter than the stock one and the Momo knobs are made to a very close tolerance. Nothing that 1 minute with a conical grinder bit on your power tool of choice can't fix.

Thumbs up to James for making these things for us! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Jul 15 2003, 09:41 PM
Post #26

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154

Which throw did you get 18% or 30% ?
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jul 15 2003, 10:19 PM
Post #27

I can't Re Member

I got the 18% and am very happy w/ it. I have never been a fan of "short shift kits" (I've used several flavors on 911's and 914's and always ended up removing them) but this feels just right to me.
+Quote Post
JWest
post Jul 16 2003, 06:49 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 97

I'm glad it is working so well for you Chris.

The stock shaft is 0.6" and I use 0.625" rod for the shaft. I machine the upper part down to 0.6" so the stock crush ring will fit.

Should I machine the 0.6" part further down? By how much would you say?

I love the feedback and I am very willing to make improvements if you guys have better ideas or improvements to the design.
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Jul 16 2003, 09:18 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 71

QUOTE(James Adams @ Jul 16 2003, 04:49 AM)
I'm glad it is working so well for you Chris.

The stock shaft is 0.6" and I use 0.625" rod for the shaft. I machine the upper part down to 0.6" so the stock crush ring will fit.

Should I machine the 0.6" part further down? By how much would you say?

I love the feedback and I am very willing to make improvements if you guys have better ideas or improvements to the design.

James:

I had the same issue with a MOMO knob during my install. I just did a little file work to get the fit correct. A .03 X 45° chamfer on the end of the lever would help as well. I wouldn't take more than .010" off the diameter of the lever.

FYI:
I don't know if you've got any other early car 30% reduction tailshift installations but I'm wondering if the bulkhead that's inside the tunnel just behind the heater lever will interfere on all installations as it did on mine. Fortunately (or not) some SPO had hacked a hole in the top of the tunnel in my car so I had access to the bulkhead to add clearance. Didn't someone else add 3MM spacers to clear the same feature?

Nice setup overall though. I love the shifter. You've probably saved me the grief of doing the tailshift conversion.

Have fun,
Kevin
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jul 16 2003, 10:43 AM
Post #30

I can't Re Member

I agree with Kevin - the difference between the shaft & the Momo knobs is extremely tiny. If the upper shaft portion is sized for the factory crush ring & knob then I'd keep it that way, and let the aftermarket knob folks deal with it. Who knows what the manufacturing tolerance is of these aftermarket knobs anyways -- one make/model might differ from the others. A chamfer/bevel on the end of the shaft might help get the knob started, though.
+Quote Post
silver six
post Jul 17 2003, 12:19 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 227

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jul 15 2003, 07:10 PM)
Thumbs up to James for making these things for us!

Brad just installed a Rennshifter and that, in conjunction with replacing a number of bushings, and fixing a broken clutch tube has vastly impoved the shifting. The shifting is now much more similar to shifting in a gate and it is very difficult not to know what gear you are in. Addictionally it is much easier to get it right into 2d (which is what I use for 1st gear).

Even cooler, Brad adjusted the length of the shift rod so that I can reach it with ease. Before, the shift rod was so far away I had to shift "underhand." Now I can shift normally using the "fist" grab with my thumb at the top of the knob.

This is exactly the sort of product that every 901 tranny driving 914 owner needs to own. At the $300 to $400 price point, it will become as standard as the side-shifter conversion.

As a side note, James, have you thought of patenting the product or getting a trademark on the name? I'll check with IP people to see if this is the sort of thing that can be patented.

Douglas
+Quote Post
-P-
post Jul 17 2003, 12:24 PM
Post #32

P-Factor

Member No.: 873

James, or anyone. Is there a converted one I can try in the dfw area. I am interested in this.
+Quote Post
JWest
post Jul 17 2003, 12:28 PM
Post #33

-P-
Send me a PM and we can get together and put one in your car for you to try out. We'll just have to time it right so I have one to show you (they are moving quickly).
+Quote Post
JWest
post Jul 17 2003, 12:31 PM
Post #34

Douglas - any info on patents/TM would be helpful. I am ignorant about this stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I am just an engineer with a little side product!
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 17 2003, 12:57 PM
Post #35

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Good idea James.

Once its in there he won't want to let it go! HAHA! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 17 2003, 12:59 PM
Post #36

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

no kidding! if it works half as good as it looks... it's over! he'll be hooked like a crack addict! I know I can hardly wait to get to that point on mine!
+Quote Post
-P-
post Jul 17 2003, 04:45 PM
Post #37

P-Factor

Member No.: 873

QUOTE(James Adams @ Jul 17 2003, 10:28 AM)
-P-
Send me a PM and we can get together and put one in your car for you to try out. We'll just have to time it right so I have one to show you (they are moving quickly).

Not only do you seem to be an excellent engineer, but also quite the sales man. I'll give you a shout when I'm ready. My shifting isnt too bad, But I want to get the steering play and brakes working top notch 1st. Once I can steer and stop quickly i'll be ready to shift more quickly.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 17 2003, 06:16 PM
Post #38

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

James..

We got word that the track we wanted to race at this weekend .. well... "sucked" so I made phone call to Doug (Silver Six) and asked him if he wanted the shifter.. This all happened yesterday.

I will still need 3 more. 1 for me and 2 more for customers.

B
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 17 2003, 06:18 PM
Post #39

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Oh.. I had NO problems with the shifter hitting the clutch tube once we got it adjusted correctly.

I think it is hitting other peoples clutch tubes because they are not adjusting them correctly or their clutch tube has been repaired and not positioned correctly during the repair.

I'm betting half these guys dont even know the shifter is "supposed" to sit in the 2-3 plane when the car is in neutral.

B
+Quote Post
silver six
post Jul 17 2003, 06:47 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 227

James,

On the patent and TM issues it may turn out that the cost of getting a patent ($10,000-$25,000) may exceed the profits that would justify a business based on the Rennshifter. On top of that there may be technical issues that would bar you from getting the patent because the technology was already out there before you started, and you just applied it to the 914. In any event, if it is unlikely that competetors will move into your market at your price point then a patent may be unnecessary. And your price point, and profit margins, apparently, are so low that other businesses are unlikely to be able to compete against you.

In any event these are just some things to think about. I'm happy to talk to you in person about these issues if you want. PM me for a phone number.

Douglas
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:16 AM