Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New project: 1975 Chalon
carl k
post Aug 14 2018, 04:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,440
Region Association: None

Attached Image

Attached Image

My 1974 1.8 is only gone a week and I've got a new project to waste time on. This 1975 1.8 Chalon kitted car belonged to a co-worker who needed it out of his side yard so he could fill in his backyard pool. Motor is locked up due to him selling the carbs and not covering the intake ports.

My oldest son is 15, so I'm going to try to get him involved with this resurrection so he's got some equity in it when he's old enough to drive it. I am realistic and know there are likely going to be some new driver mishaps, and I won't feel guilty if he bends a Chalon.

One of my first orders of business is to figure out how I can get it running in the most cost effective manner possible.

-Carl

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 14 2018, 05:22 PM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Well, if nothing else, there’s a $1000 worth of Fuchs there... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
beech4rd
post Aug 14 2018, 05:36 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,445
Region Association: North East States

Now that's a fine car! Or not.

Is that a Dormobile conversion on your Land Rover?
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 14 2018, 05:42 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

Say what you will about Chalons, but that I think that one actually looks pretty good!
Best of luck with the build.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 14 2018, 05:55 PM
Post #5

Apex killer!

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 14 2018, 08:42 PM) *

Say what you will about Chalons, but that I think that one actually looks pretty good!

Chris,
I agree. If the body and paint work were redone that would be a good looking Chalon.
Slip a six or other (insert wild imagination here) conversion in it and you’ve got a car worth talking about.

My problem with the car in the first place is that it was a conversion meant to make the car look like one of these, and WTF! They were only $9-10K new. I know! I bought 2 of them new. My feeling is that if your going to do a body kit on a car to make it look like another car, at least make it look like a car that you can’t afford to actually buy.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Beakster
post Aug 14 2018, 06:59 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 19,055

Hey ... Say what they will about the Chalon .. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) But they make a great looking RAT ROD ..
Thats what I'm turning my Chalon into .. Flat Black and the odd chrome pieces .. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Aug 14 2018, 07:13 PM
Post #7

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

I'd rather see more of what looks like a Series II LWB than the Chalon, but that's just me...
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 14 2018, 07:44 PM
Post #8

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 14 2018, 04:42 PM) *
Say what you will about Chalons

Well, now that i have your approval ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whip[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bananabang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whack_3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 14 2018, 10:55 PM
Post #9

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Cost efficient? Cut out the trunk, put a Honda motor/trans in it, and put the radiator in front of the engine laying flat with a fan and a duct.

You could probably get it on the road with some new parts for less than 500

Same thing can be done with a Subaru but more cost, however nicer.

Mueller just got his 3.5 Honda v6 conversion running with very minimal effort and costs.. that is a killer setup there, but adapter hardware is required.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 14 2018, 11:15 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 14 2018, 09:55 PM) *

Cost efficient? Cut out the trunk, put a Honda motor/trans in it, and put the radiator in front of the engine laying flat with a fan and a duct.

You could probably get it on the road with some new parts for less than 500

Same thing can be done with a Subaru but more cost, however nicer.

Mueller just got his 3.5 Honda v6 conversion running with very minimal effort and costs.. that is a killer setup there, but adapter hardware is required.

I like this Chalon, it might have to do with the wild paint job.

I think you should do an Audi 1.8T so you can buy my Passat/Boxster 5 speed and brand new 1.8t forged flyweel and clutch kit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
motorvated
post Aug 15 2018, 07:11 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 15,519
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

How about a fresh 215 Buick. I have a complete unused conversion setup that I was planning for my Chalon, but have decided to stick with a four so I can keep racing with the Vintage guys.
+Quote Post
carl k
post Aug 15 2018, 11:11 AM
Post #12

I like the ideas, and my son is thinking engine swap also. He plays a driving video game, Forza, where he can virtually "mod" his cars. In the video game, an engine swap is just a few controller clicks. Little does he know how long the 914 would actually be up on the jack stands!

But for starters, I am thinking a 914 engine. There's a locked-up 1.8 in the car, with no FI or carbs. I have another 1.8 which has (at least) a broken exhaust valve, and it came with the L-jet FI. I have a couple 1.7L D-jet systems (can I use those on a 1.8 engine?). And a GC code 2.0 long block.

I think I'll see if I can piece together a running 1.8 between the two core engines. If that looks too expensive due to machining costs, maybe try to find a known runner 1.7 or 1.8 from a local enthusiast.

The engine swaps can come later. I don't want to give a 16 year old too many horses to play with!

-Carl

For tomeric914 and beech4rd: The 1967 Land Rover Dormobile tow vehicle:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 15 2018, 11:31 AM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(carl k @ Aug 15 2018, 10:11 AM) *

I like the ideas, and my son is thinking engine swap also. He plays a driving video game, Forza, where he can virtually "mod" his cars. In the video game, an engine swap is just a few controller clicks. Little does he know how long the 914 would actually be up on the jack stands!

But for starters, I am thinking a 914 engine. There's a locked-up 1.8 in the car, with no FI or carbs. I have another 1.8 which has (at least) a broken exhaust valve, and it came with the L-jet FI. I have a couple 1.7L D-jet systems (can I use those on a 1.8 engine?). And a GC code 2.0 long block.

I think I'll see if I can piece together a running 1.8 between the two core engines. If that looks too expensive due to machining costs, maybe try to find a known runner 1.7 or 1.8 from a local enthusiast.

The engine swaps can come later. I don't want to give a 16 year old too many horses to play with!

-Carl

For tomeric914 and beech4rd: The 1967 Land Rover Dormobile tow vehicle:

I have a 1.8 ready to re-assemble, all cleaned up!
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=331606

I dig the Land Rover, we have a newer one however I'd love to have a classic like yours.
+Quote Post
carl k
post Aug 15 2018, 11:44 AM
Post #14

Yes I've seen your ad and it's definitely an option depending on what I find when I dig into the engines I have!

I have a 1.8 ready to re-assemble, all cleaned up!
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=331606
+Quote Post
burton73
post Aug 15 2018, 01:40 PM
Post #15

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(motorvated @ Aug 15 2018, 06:11 AM) *

How about a fresh 215 Buick. I have a complete unused conversion setup that I was planning for my Chalon, but have decided to stick with a four so I can keep racing with the Vintage guys.

Back in the late 70s I thought the styling of the Mitcom Chalon was super. I was also in my early 20s and I liked the update styling kits for the pre-1974 911s. The paint of the Mincom for their ads from the porotype paint ad scheme.

What the hell was I thinking but I never bought one. Still think they look good. If done with aluminum and steel the valances and bumpers for 1974 911 look good to me. Now I like the older long noise on the 911 but in that moment, I did like the styling Q’s

Bob B
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Aug 15 2018, 01:46 PM
Post #16

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669
Region Association: Southern California

Back in the late 70s I thought the styling of the Mitcom Chalon was super. I was also in my early 20s and I liked the update styling kits for the pre-1974 911s. The paint of the Mincom for their ads from the porotype paint ad scheme.

What the hell was I thinking but I never bought one. Still think they look good. If done with aluminum and steel the valances and bumpers for 1974 911 look good to me. Now I like the older long noise on the 911 but in that moment, I did like the styling Q’s

Bob B

I also liked this kit back then. I visited their facility in Compton (now Rancho Dominguez) just off the 91 Fwy. I must have seen 10 body kits in-process.
Fav color was guards red! My wallet back then never let me buy a kit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Oscar
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 15 2018, 03:04 PM
Post #17

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

VW Porsche mag Aug. 1980

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Beakster
post Aug 15 2018, 05:40 PM
Post #18

HEY ... Too All you guys in the 914 World that feel that the Chalon is a piece of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) May want to just keep in mind ... After Having only 911's my whole life the 914 is a piece of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) to the 911WORLD ..
We all have different taste in how we fix up our 914 's .. Some like V8's Some like 6cly some stay with the type 4 .. We All have different Budgets and what we want to do to our personal HotRod ... So It angers me to hear Bashing towards someone uses choice ..
the WORLD part means we are all are different but share the same passion of the 914
+Quote Post
Beakster
post Aug 15 2018, 05:52 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 14 2018, 05:55 PM) *

Chris,
I agree. If the body and paint work were redone that would be a good looking Chalon.
Slip a six or other (insert wild imagination here) conversion in it and you’ve got a car worth talking about.

My problem with the car in the first place is that it was a conversion meant to make the car look like one of these, and WTF! They were only $9-10K new. I know! I bought 2 of them new. My feeling is that if your going to do a body kit on a car to make it look like another car, at least make it look like a car that you can’t afford to actually buy.

Hey Chris Your WRONG ... It was made to look like a Mazda .. Just in YOUR eyes ..
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 15 2018, 06:24 PM
Post #20

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Beakster @ Aug 15 2018, 08:52 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 14 2018, 05:55 PM) *

Chris,

Hey Chris Your WRONG ... It was made to look like a Mazda .. Just in YOUR eyes ..

Oh dear. I’ve angered Canada again. They’ll probably invade us... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:09 PM