Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jenvey ITBs for four bolt T4 heads, Any one know of a source for manifolds?
echocanyons
post Aug 15 2018, 02:01 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

I am planning to do an EFI conversion on a 1.8L type four.

What manifold options are available to adapt ITBs to the T4 four bolt heads?
I think that I prefer the jenvey ITBs but would like to draw from the groups experience.

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nogoodwithusernames
post Aug 15 2018, 03:00 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,051
Region Association: None

QUOTE(echocanyons @ Aug 15 2018, 01:01 PM) *

I am planning to do an EFI conversion on a 1.8L type four.

What manifold options are available to adapt ITBs to the T4 four bolt heads?
I think that I prefer the jenvey ITBs but would like to draw from the groups experience.

Thanks

First off I have to assume that by EFI conversion you're doing something other than stock D/L-jet?

If so, Mario at the dub shop was fantastic to work with when I went EFI on my VW Squareback. Didn't get the entire kit from him but I wish I had. Would have made my life a lot easier but he didn't have as much available for fitting in a T3 at the time. So I just got wiring and spark and had him put together my MS2 controller. Super high quality stuff. He's got a kit for the T4 as well.

http://thedubshop.com/dual-throttle-body-f...gnition-type-4/
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 15 2018, 04:02 PM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

The intake manifolds in the Dub shop picture are CB talls.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 15 2018, 04:05 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

EMPI or anyplace that sells Weber or Weber knock offs will have the manifolds. Should be IDF bolt pattern.

https://store.jenvey.co.uk/pub/media/docume...awings/TF_D.pdf
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Aug 15 2018, 04:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Jenveys are really pretty, well made parts but after playing with the pair that wound up on my buddies 2270 I personally would probably try one of the cheaper bolt on options.

Couple things to be aware of:

1. The linkage arms/throttle shafts are not compatible with the Weber parts, not a problem if you are using the Jenvey arms but we ran into an issue when attempting to use the Tangerine cable linkage. Chris Foley was cool enough to put together a custom kit after we shipped him the Jenveys to work off of, but be aware that off the shelf parts may not be bolt on. This also includes air filters and velocity stacks.

2. The Jenveys need to have the airflow syncd per barrel where as the CBs appear to have a port that syncs the two barrels in each TB (and also both barrels tie into a single vacuum port) Not a huge deal but would make syncing the CB parts a bit easier.

I haven't personally used the CB parts yet (though i have a plan to) but between the custom parts needed to utilize the Jenveys as well as the design the CB parts appear to be both cheaper and easier to use.

Jenveys sure are pretty though.
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Aug 15 2018, 11:01 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

Great information so far.

I’ll definitely have to look into the dubshop

That diagram was exactly what I was looking for thanks Mike!

James, I appreciate the insight regarding the Jenvey’s, CB performance is just down the road an hour or so from me so I’ll have to take a visit and check out there shop
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Aug 15 2018, 11:29 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Syncing per barrel is in my opinion prefered. My ITB's has per pair adjustment and its quite annoying when the #1 and #2 cylinder differ quite alot and you cant do anything about it....
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 16 2018, 06:14 AM
Post #8

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Are you planing on a big engine build?
ITB's are a waste on a 1.8

I built a stock 1.8 and a very mild cam 2.0 they both used the stock 2.0 D-jet plenum/intake, pump injectors etc., both ran perfect just like stock FI.

Cheap to do, less of a learning curve, less headaches and can be upgraded to ITB's later.
IMHO if you plan to go big it's better to do the 1.8 with a plenum first to learn how to use your system.
If you smoke the engine it will be less painful than if it was a big buck engine.

Jenvey's you can use weber manifolds, they bolt right on. The hassle is fitting air cleaners.
The jenvey has an injector boss in the TB, but if you want them in the manifold you'll have to weld in the injector bungs.
Doesn't make a difference that can be felt in the seat of your pants.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 16 2018, 07:20 AM
Post #9

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Also questioning the use of ITBs on an otherwise stock 1.8. Its getting the worst of both worlds with no real upswing.

You get the loud howl of carbs, the finicky balancing act and a ton of moving parts that can fail or go out of alignment, combined with a harder to tune EFI system.

I'm using a stock 1.8 plenum and intake runners and throttle body on my custom EFI build, except on a 2056 that is putting 130hp at the wheels (and I have a dyno chart to prove it). Using stock parts, only one throttle body, and a simple plenum to pull vacuum from. And you probably have all that stuff on hand and don't need to buy crazy expensive psuedo-carbs.

Zach
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:06 PM