Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front of car stone chip protection, Clear bra application both front hood and bumper
DRPHIL914
post Aug 16 2018, 07:43 AM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

Having just spent some significant $$ on paint and body work and on newly rechromed front bumper, I am wondering about protection against future stone chips and dings. The bumper I just got back from chrome was almost perfect except for the fact that it had typical small tiny dings in the chrome from stones and such
I was thinking it would be good to apply a protective film on the bumper as well as on half the front hood

- if you have done this- who did you use? what product? who applied it, etc.

Thanks,

Phil
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Aug 16 2018, 08:03 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

XPel self healing...make sure the paint is perfect before installing and it'll look great.

When you get scratches in it, just use a hair dryer or heat-gun on low and the scratches will self-level and disappear (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

FYI: I talked with Larry at AmmoNYC about it last year for my family truckster rear bumper once I got a rear-facing 3rd row seat. This is what he uses and suggested.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 16 2018, 08:16 AM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The good stuff isn’t cheap.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 16 2018, 08:32 AM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Phil,

A lot of folks here in SoCal use the Xpel, but there are ather top grade films too, so check locally for your local weather conditions. As Mark said, a good wrap job isn't cheap, but top ones like Xpel carry a +/-5 year warranty (usually non-transferable BTW).

On the bumper, ask about whether there's a chance that the wrap won't hold water against the metal & cause rust, now that you've had it rechromed. Usually the pitting on old school chrome bumpers/parts is due to rust popping out, rather than dings.

PS - I had to just google Bluffton, & see that you're close to Hilton Head, so add salt air to your questions about the film on chrome, & add keeping the car covered whenever outside (& in garage) & add regular hand washing to remove salt film/crust/particles which get deposited from the air. I speak from hard learned experience after almost a decade living blocks from & then a few miles from the beach in Huntington Beach with my 914 back in the day.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 16 2018, 08:58 AM
Post #5

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I intend to do a clear-bra on my car when it is finished. I have even considered covering the front bumper for those exact reasons. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Aug 16 2018, 09:27 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

Having my daily driver done soon, after a really good experience with doing the rockers and "side scoops" on a GT4. The press car GT4, also in Guards Red, had totally hammered rockers and scoops as a result of the R-compound tires after just 5000 miles. Chips were everywhere. After 14,000 miles, the other GT4 looked new down both sides. Only negative was a bit of dirt under the edges of the clear here and there. Small downside, and a more expensive install could have avoided it.

Been thinking about having the hood, headlights, and fender lips of the 914 done. We're lucky in that the 914's slab sides mean side protection really isn't needed (unless you have flares, that is). Front bumper is a good idea if I get a fresh one done... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 16 2018, 09:30 AM
Post #7

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 16 2018, 10:32 AM) *

Phil,

A lot of folks here in SoCal use the Xpel, but there are ather top grade films too, so check locally for your local weather conditions. As Mark said, a good wrap job isn't cheap, but top ones like Xpel carry a +/-5 year warranty (usually non-transferable BTW).

On the bumper, ask about whether there's a chance that the wrap won't hold water against the metal & cause rust, now that you've had it rechromed. Usually the pitting on old school chrome bumpers/parts is due to rust popping out, rather than dings.

PS - I had to just google Bluffton, & see that you're close to Hilton Head, so add salt air to your questions about the film on chrome, & add keeping the car covered whenever outside (& in garage) & add regular hand washing to remove salt film/crust/particles which get deposited from the air. I speak from hard learned experience after almost a decade living blocks from & then a few miles from the beach in Huntington Beach with my 914 back in the day.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

Good advice, I will check on it. Yes even though we are 10 miles from the beach, the brakish water is all around in the marsh etc. our AC units only last about 10-12 years and this is mainly due to the amount of salt in the air. My 914 is garaged, but more than anything as you know, here the humidity is a big issue. Mold will grow on stuff in the garage if you don't condition it and keep humidity down.
I do think I would like to do the clear bra on the hood. I know there is a professional installer in the area that several of the fellow PCA guys used and were happy with.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 16 2018, 09:32 AM
Post #8

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 16 2018, 11:27 AM) *

Having my daily driver done soon, after a really good experience with doing the rockers and "side scoops" on a GT4. The press car GT4, also in Guards Red, had totally hammered rockers and scoops as a result of the R-compound tires after just 5000 miles. Chips were everywhere. After 14,000 miles, the other GT4 looked new down both sides. Only negative was a bit of dirt under the edges of the clear here and there. Small downside, and a more expensive install could have avoided it.

Been thinking about having the hood, headlights, and fender lips of the 914 done. We're lucky in that the 914's slab sides mean side protection really isn't needed (unless you have flares, that is). Front bumper is a good idea if I get a fresh one done... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I had not thought about the rockers, but that's a good idea. I have some really sticky tires and they grab stuff like crazy(Bridgestone Potenza R). I might have to do those as well...
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Aug 16 2018, 09:41 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 16 2018, 08:32 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 16 2018, 11:27 AM) *

I had not thought about the rockers, but that's a good idea. I have some really sticky tires and they grab stuff like crazy(Bridgestone Potenza R). I might have to do those as well...

I was gonna say don't do it as PPF is glossy (unless you want gloss black...) until I realized that they make matte PPF also. Hmm...maybe that IS something to think about, as my front spoiler and rockers end up looking tired every so many years, and I don't drive my car that much. Would be SUPER easy to take the front three pieces off every now and then and drop them off at a PPF installer—much easier than dealing with paint. Wouldn't do the rear due to heat...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:31 PM