Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Not a 914 but need brain trust help...., 944 turbo oli won't show on dip stick.....
second wind
post Aug 17 2018, 07:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,543
Region Association: Southern California

I know I am off topic by one digit but maybe someone can help....I just changed the oil in my '89 944 turbo and have put at least 7.5 quarts of oil into it....but it doesn't hit the dip stick yet. Never had this problem before. No leaks or anything....good oil pressure....and even if the new oil is so clean you couldn't see it it would still be wet and shiny....which it isn't. I am afraid to put more oil in.....most sources say 6.5 quarts should do it.....anybody have any ideas on this? Very weird....
Thank you,
gg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Aug 17 2018, 08:40 PM
Post #2

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Strange.Is it possible the PO added a deep oil pan / sump?
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Aug 17 2018, 08:54 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

The dipstick tube could be coming out of the block. There's a tab on the tube with a bolt that holds is in place...see if that is loose or missing. Seems to me I add 7 quarts in my 944 turbo at oil change and that puts the oil slightly above the full line on the dipstick. Is this the first time you've changed the oil? I have not heard of people using a deep sump on 951s and while I'm no expert I do read the forums often (Oh wait...maybe that does make me an expert).
+Quote Post
worn
post Aug 17 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #4

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(second wind @ Aug 17 2018, 06:39 PM) *

I know I am off topic by one digit but maybe someone can help....I just changed the oil in my '89 944 turbo and have put at least 7.5 quarts of oil into it....but it doesn't hit the dip stick yet. Never had this problem before. No leaks or anything....good oil pressure....and even if the new oil is so clean you couldn't see it it would still be wet and shiny....which it isn't. I am afraid to put more oil in.....most sources say 6.5 quarts should do it.....anybody have any ideas on this? Very weird....
Thank you,
gg

After checking for dipstick damage I would add oil maybe a half quart at a time until you see it on the stick. Until you see something you don’t know. Regardless of what you think the number should be.
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Aug 17 2018, 09:36 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,794

It also depends on if you have front oil cooler.
I would recommend adding a 1/2 quart at a time and check.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Aug 18 2018, 06:45 AM
Post #6

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Over filling is not good. Causes the crank to splash through the oil whipping bubbles not the oil. Make sure the dip stick tube is not pulling out.
+Quote Post
second wind
post Aug 18 2018, 08:49 AM
Post #7

This is the second time I have changed the oil and no issues on first oil change. The dip stick tube idea has been mentioned by several people....I will check. How would I remove oil if I have too? Suck it out from oil fill or dip stick tube? Thank you very much you guys!!
gg
+Quote Post
second wind
post Aug 18 2018, 09:14 AM
Post #8

I just checked the dip stick tube.....it is bolted in and tight. I am not crazy but the oil must be somewhere....I will try the half a quart at a time method and see what happens......
gg
+Quote Post
second wind
post Aug 18 2018, 09:29 PM
Post #9

Ok.....I believe I am eight quarts in but at least it is showing on the stick.....I found one post saying turbos take 7.4 quarts of oil.....maybe I drained the snot out of this car and just have to keep adding oil? I measured the oil I took out and it was 7 quarts.....plenty of oil pressure .....thank you for your help!
gg
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Aug 19 2018, 05:55 AM
Post #10

I checked my records and I added 6.25 Qts on my last oil & filter change. The owners manual says “approx” 6.87 qts with filter. Only a German would give an approximate oil capacity with 2 decimal places. Anyway 8 qts should be way too much oil for a stock engine. The dipstick in my car measures 20-3/4” from the edge of the plastic to the tip or 19-1/2” from the edge of the plastic to the bottom (low oil) notch.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Aug 19 2018, 06:53 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,419

Not sure what brand oil you’re putting in, but is it possible that you’re getting shorted in the bottle? Maybe instead of a true quart you’re getting 7/8 of a quart?

Also, and this may have been mentioned earlier, do you have an external/aftermarket oil cooler? Maybe a different oil filter (i.e. more capacity) than what is recommended for the car?
+Quote Post
Beebo Kanelle
post Aug 19 2018, 09:01 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 15,177

Drain it.

Measure the volume.

See if there's any loss.

Check dipstick for any interference which would prevent complete seating
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Aug 19 2018, 09:28 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

I'm sure you would have mentioned it but......is it a new engine ?...did you replace the oil pan ? either one would require some additional oil.
+Quote Post
second wind
post Aug 19 2018, 11:43 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Aug 19 2018, 05:53 AM) *

Not sure what brand oil you’re putting in, but is it possible that you’re getting shorted in the bottle? Maybe instead of a true quart you’re getting 7/8 of a quart?

Also, and this may have been mentioned earlier, do you have an external/aftermarket oil cooler? Maybe a different oil filter (i.e. more capacity) than what is recommended for the car?

I am using Valvoline 20-50 VR1. This is a puzzlement and thank you for your comments. I think there is a slight bow in my dip stick so I will try to straighten and see if there is improvement.
gg
+Quote Post
second wind
post Aug 19 2018, 09:42 PM
Post #15

Ok....all done....final post on this...for now of course....I got the oil up to the high mark on the dip stick but it took ten quarts....maybe a little less ....I know you think I am nuts or drunk or high or stupid but I am not.....I measured the old oil and it was seven quarts and I was good on the stick.....the only explanation is that Valvoline sells short quarts.....what else could it be? I am leaving in turbo tomorrow for a 1,000 round trip to June Lake, Calif. Just up the street from WCR 2017 which I attended.....944 is a luxury car compared to 914 (no offense anyone) and twice as fast easy so I am taking it.....I will measure a quart of Valvoline in the same container I have and see how it measures up pun intended...or whatever....this has been stressing me out as too much oil will ruin your whole day...and then some. Thank you again all for your care and help.
gg
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Aug 20 2018, 10:58 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(second wind @ Aug 19 2018, 08:42 PM) *

Ok....all done....final post on this...for now of course....I got the oil up to the high mark on the dip stick but it took ten quarts....maybe a little less ....I know you think I am nuts or drunk or high or stupid but I am not.....I measured the old oil and it was seven quarts and I was good on the stick.....the only explanation is that Valvoline sells short quarts.....what else could it be? I am leaving in turbo tomorrow for a 1,000 round trip to June Lake, Calif. Just up the street from WCR 2017 which I attended.....944 is a luxury car compared to 914 (no offense anyone) and twice as fast easy so I am taking it.....I will measure a quart of Valvoline in the same container I have and see how it measures up pun intended...or whatever....this has been stressing me out as too much oil will ruin your whole day...and then some. Thank you again all for your care and help.
gg

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Aug 20 2018, 09:42 PM
Post #17

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

.....watch out for checking oil when car is not level (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:09 AM