Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prep engine for starting ?z
F1rocco
post Jun 15 2005, 04:15 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,251

I just picked up a 71 914..All the electrical works and turns over but didnt start.......I was thinking Ill have to drain the gas....Is there an EZ way to do this?Also what other things should be done?...Im going to check for spark...I currently dont believe there is any but I do have another coil.Its a single carbed FI...Thanks for everyones continued support...Im Hooked..........F1
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jun 15 2005, 04:50 AM
Post #2

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE (F1rocco @ Jun 15 2005, 06:15 AM)
I was thinking Ill have to drain the gas....Is there an EZ way to do this?

Also what other things should be done?...Im going to check for spark...I currently dont believe there is any but I do have another coil.

Its a single carbed FI...Thanks for everyones continued support...Im Hooked..........F1

Drain gas... important: HOW MUCH!? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Gravity works good, replace the fuel filter, but wait for it to stop squirting before you do. Watch out, and clamp the hose BEFORE removing the filter.. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) Check the fuel hoses... they should be newish, and pliable.. look for fouling around the cut end.

Then, I would do a complete service, and see what happens..

Welcome, and I think you meant to say it has the original FI.. single body, 4 legged spider..

M
+Quote Post
F1rocco
post Jun 15 2005, 08:47 AM
Post #3

I guess my ? is where and how is the easiest?Do I have to take something off in order to drain it or should I just cut the fuel line going to the motor..Sorry for not being to clear..........
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jun 15 2005, 08:53 AM
Post #4

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

pull the tank, and have something nearby to drain it into(5 gal. bucket)... this way you can see what's coming out(rust, etc)... you should replace those hoses anyway... and while you're in there you can change the fuel lines that run through the center tunnel with metal 3/8" brake line type...

also be sure and change the oil(also look for metal shavings and such)
+Quote Post
jet1
post Jun 15 2005, 02:24 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,213
Region Association: North East States

You can access the fuel lines that attach to the bottom of the tank through a small hole on the underside of the car, under the fuel tank. but it's a PITA to get in there to disconnect the lines, so I would also say pull the tank. It's best done with two people, so one can hold the tank up while the other clamps and cuts the fuel lines.

Another method is to drain the fuel from the rear where the lines attach to the fuel pump. the pump should be located under the engine tin on the passenger side of the car. below the battery tray.

BTW there are two fuel lines between the motor and the tank. one is a feed line and the other is a return line. check both of them for leaks and be prepared to replace them. Search the forum on fuel lines. You should be able to find out all you need to know on how to replace the lines.
+Quote Post
F1rocco
post Jun 15 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #6

Thanks everyone....I was looking at the longs and noticed this dry rot rubber fuel line infront of the Passenger rear tire...Completely gone...No drainin this tank...I hooked up a new rubber line and used a gas can.....Still nothing no spark....
+Quote Post
jet1
post Jun 15 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,213
Region Association: North East States

Do a complete tune up and change the oil. Change the points and condenser. clean up the engine bay. Cars that have sat for a while tend to collect a lot of crap around the engine. (mostly from mice) Oh, and check and clean electrical connections.

Good luck!
+Quote Post
F1rocco
post Jun 16 2005, 02:52 AM
Post #8

Yeah.....Inside the cover on #1 cyl...I got a little mouse home.........
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 02:22 PM