Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weak battery = erratic ignition??, think I solved my problem........
Mueller
post Jun 15 2005, 12:09 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

History:

Kept getting an ignition related miss during idle and it was worse when I rev'd up the motor....

I started to think it was just due to my plugs being overly fouled from the too rich mixture while tuning the FI.

I cleaned the plugs, still had a miss, removed the HyFire CDI from the loop, still had a miss.....

During the entire time of trying to tune the motor, i had a 2 year old Optima battery in the car which had hardley any use on it, I also had my batter charger hooked up and turned onto 2amps and sometimes 15amps....still would get a miss

I had problems starting the car and cranked the battery charger to 50amps...car started right up and no ignition miss (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif)

Time to go get a new battery............
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jun 15 2005, 12:26 PM
Post #2

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Low battery voltage will cause all kinds of problems with EFI systems. Most ECUs have some sort of compensation to adjust injector timing based on actual battery voltage. A voltmeter hooked directly to the battery terminals is a great accessory when running EFI, esp. D-Jet, which does a pretty bad job of compensating for low voltage (tends to make the car run rich).
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jun 15 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #3

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

Agreeing with James and adding that your tuning screen might even show the actual voltage seen by the ECU. My MIC3 does this - you can see the voltage live on screen. Mine goes nuts if it dips below 10v.

Mike, what are you using for crank possition signal? Watch the rpm on the tuning screen. Is it smooth and accurate or erratic? If it's erratic (noise, bad sensor, bad sensor adjustment) you'll have no end to your problems. BTDT. Switching from a home-brew dizzy sensor to the crank-mounted sensor cured those ills for me. My hair even grew back.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jun 15 2005, 12:57 PM
Post #4

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

Followup: Maybe this is tied to your questions about plug gap. Low battery + wide plug gap = runs like crap?
Shoot, I'm starting to ryme. I'm reading too many Dr. Seuss beditme stories to my kids. ...If your Daddy's name is Dwight and he likes to look at birds at night, the gift for Dwight that might be right is a Bright Dwight Bird Flight Night Sight Light.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif)

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Jun 15 2005, 02:07 PM
Post #5

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584
Region Association: None

D-Jet does not compensate for low voltage which is why it's important to have a properly functioning charging system.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:19 PM