Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I got a welder!, Harbor Freight had a big sale today!
mepstein
post Sep 14 2018, 09:10 AM
Post #21

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Sep 14 2018, 11:06 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 5 2018, 04:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 5 2018, 08:00 PM) *

Good luck with your welder. I bought mine several years ago and the first day I fixed 3 broken and cracked items on my 914. It was so cool to fix things properly by welding them that I stood there looking around to other things I could weld.

My unit is a 110V Millermatic 135. I thought about getting a 220V unit and glad I bought the 110V one. I have outlets all around my garage and it's convenient to move the welder around to the closest outlet. Chances are most welding done on a 914 can be done with a 110V unit.

I got the Hobart mvp. Does both 110 and 220. I didn’t want to be tethered to 220 but wanted to have able to weld up some heavier steel if I felt the need. Now I’m buying safety equipment and basic tools.

That's awesome. I'm so busy this time of year I STILL haven't welded anything. I have 5 kids... yes that's right 5! so fall is crazy with football, band, and twirl plus my job. its also hot in Texas, but it's getting to good garage weather so I'm excited. I'm buying some angle iron to build a stand for my grinder and drill press so my first project is on its way!
I discovered the joy of the scrap yard this week and bought a small piece of plate steel to put under my vice. I also got a couple pieces of flat bar. I'll be trying to go back soon to get some copper pipe to plumb in my airlines and also the rest of the angle iron I need for that table and a leaf spring to make a slapping spoon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I know everyone says it will kill you but our last two and our current 25k sq ft shop have all used pvc for the air. 2 big compressors getting used all day.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jtprettyman
post Sep 14 2018, 01:42 PM
Post #22

Rust Bucket Owner

Member No.: 18,707
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Sep 3 2018, 06:56 PM) *

Look what I got today! It’s not the best witefeed welder on the market but dang it is better than what I had which was no welder! I’m pretty excited because now I have 100 new things I can do! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I picked up one of the HF flux core welders a while ago fully understanding it's limitations, and fully planning modifications to overcome some of them. I went ahead and converted mine to DC electrode negative with a bridge rectifier, added a big capacitor, updated and improved the cooling fan, replaced the power and ground cables, and added a better ground clamp. Yeah, I know after all this and the time/labor I could have started with a better welder to begin with, but I enjoy the project. Besides, its kinda in the 914 guys DNA to buy something cheap and spend a crap ton more in time and money than the end result is worth $$$ wise......
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 14 2018, 03:00 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

DCEN? Your running "flux core "only correct?

99% of electrodes (stick,mig, dual shield) run DCEP when being consumed into the work.
+Quote Post
jtprettyman
post Sep 14 2018, 03:15 PM
Post #24

Rust Bucket Owner

Member No.: 18,707
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 14 2018, 04:00 PM) *

DCEN? Your running "flux core "only correct?

99% of electrodes (stick,mig, dual shield) run DCEP when being consumed into the work.

Yep, these cheapo's are basically AC welders out of the box, converted mine to DCEN for flux core. I plan on stepping up to a true MIG setup shortly.
+Quote Post
John90290
post Sep 14 2018, 07:00 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 21,937
Region Association: None

Congratulations! You wil now never go by a garage sale or drive by a bunch of furniture on the side of the road without looking for bed frames! I had one of those years ago then went to a Hobart 140 and added gas. Still not a good welder but got good at grinding;) A few pro welders I knew told me that the HF welder was a good place to start but don’t use the wire it came with. Head to Home Depot and get a roll of the Lincoln flux core wire. Try both and you will see the difference.

Best of luck.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Sep 14 2018, 08:05 PM
Post #26

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

I know you can use PVC, but please don't

Be safe I have fingers that prove what happens when your not. I have scaring in my eye from shrapnel that came in under the glasses.

Also be safe with your welding gear.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 11:42 PM