Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> sort of ran out of gas, wont start
ThePaintedMan
post Sep 7 2018, 11:24 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

Indeed, that would be the next guess. Coils can certainly fail like that, especially if you don't know how old that one is. And they're relatively cheap, and even if it's not it, it's always good to have a spare.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Sep 8 2018, 12:26 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 15,057
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 7 2018, 10:24 AM) *

Indeed, that would be the next guess. Coils can certainly fail like that, especially if you don't know how old that one is. And they're relatively cheap, and even if it's not it, it's always good to have a spare.

The spark doesn’t fire every time it should. Spark looked ok on the times it did fire. It is suggesting a bad coil, bad points or condenser, or a bad connection for the 12v to the coil, or the wire to the points, or a bad carbon post and spring in the center of the cap, or a bad rotor, or again, the small braided ground wire to the advance plate that the cintact points mount on inside the distributor. I have experienced every one of these and now check each over during tune ups.
+Quote Post
ericoneal
post Sep 9 2018, 12:10 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 14,795

I called a local friend who is an expert in bus engines to take a look. He got it running!
We cleaned and adjusted the points and tried to start it. Nothing. Just small pops out of carbs. He says "It sounds like your timing is 180 degress off!"
He pulled the distributor, which he says was loose and puts on a new condensor and puts the distributor back on, rotated to account for 180 degrees, and it fires right up. Set the timing and she's running good as ever.

So he says that somehow the distributor "jumped" (It didnt seem THAT loose). He's been building/fixing engines a long time and got this one running in 15 minutes, so I dont doubt him.

Have any of you ever had that happen??

Thanks for all of the help.

Eric
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Sep 10 2018, 09:26 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

Figured I was fairly close. Yes, if you never had the distributor seated fully and/or the hold-down bolt was loose, it's quite easy for them to pop out. I spit mind clear out of the hole when I was adjusting timing once and forgot to tighten it back down. Glad you got it figured out.
+Quote Post
ericoneal
post Sep 10 2018, 11:23 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 14,795

If there was a prize for this, I think you would have won it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Sep 10 2018, 01:49 PM
Post #26

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

914 distributors do not go in 180 off. Only the drive gear can go in wrong. Only way for that to happen is to remove the diz and physically lift and turn the gear. If that gear moved on it's own, assume engine was running, it would trash the drive gear and the cam. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 11:13 AM