Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dist advance?, where to hook up....
xsboost90
post Jun 16 2005, 05:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,432

ok, so the trans is back in and she is shifting much nicer now, but im noticing a slight hesitation along the acceleration. I remember the vac line for the dist is still connected to the charcoal canister temporarily. Now there are two vac lines on the dist, one closer to the base of the dist, im guessing this would RETARD the timing, the other on the outside of the diaphram, which would ADVANCE the timing correct? Factory says to put the hose on the retard line but this makes my car knock and ping like crazy! I have never really heard a clear answer weather to leave the VAC off, or where to run it to, how it works etc. I tried but cant find any clear info on this. I think i need a mallory dizzy... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Jun 16 2005, 06:04 AM
Post #2

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

some were actually disconnected from the factory. Mine is....I just plain didnt have a hookup. now my retard is connected and that helps with accel. where did you hook the advance anyway? the connection to the throttle body goes to the retard and will mess things up if you hook that to the advance side of the unit.
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Jun 16 2005, 06:14 AM
Post #3

my car doesnt have the hookup for a second hose to the advance side. i believe only pre 74 cars had that. I just have one hose from the intake to the dist. Right now its on the advance-outside- of the dist.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Jun 16 2005, 06:18 AM
Post #4

Sir Post-a-lot

okay that one must must must go to the retard side. the vac reatrd will improve acceleration. I plugged it in after x years unplugged and i almost pissed myself....i was fast. the retard recieves vac at idle, the advance does not. since you plugged in the reatrd connection to the advance side of the dizzy....thats why its pinging and stuff.
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Jun 16 2005, 06:23 AM
Post #5

really it pings WORSE when i hook it up to the retard side closest to the dist! The idle drops real low and it starts pinging and knocking like crazy. Maybe my dizzy is screwed or something. When i put it on the advance side it almost doesnt change from when its totally off. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 16 2005, 07:08 AM
Post #6

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Britt giving dizzy advice... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

All the info you need is available via a search of this site.

Anywho...

The one vacuum line you have on your TB on the 74 2.0 is for the retard on the dizzy. The 73 2.0 TB had both advance and retard ports, but they changed the TB in 74 to retard only (for emissions), but contimued to use the same dizzy. Hence, the two ports on the dizzy but only one on the TB for the 74 2.0. Generally speaking, and is the case with a 914, a vacuum port on the can of the dizzy is advance and the port on the 'back' side of the dizzy is retard.

You need to disconnect and plug the vacuum hose, time the motor, and then reconnect the vacuum hose from the TB to the retard port on the dizzy.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 16 2005, 07:10 AM
Post #7

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nah, it just means you have to retime it. Time it to 27 degrees@3500 rpms with hoses off. plug in the retard hose and when the car is good and warmed up (hot) set the idle mix and speed.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 16 2005, 07:12 AM
Post #8

Mike Ginter

QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jun 16 2005, 07:10 AM)
Nah, it just means you have to retime it. Time it to 27 degrees@3500 rpms with hoses off. plug in the retard hose and when the car is good and warmed up (hot) set the idle mix and speed.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) Just don't forget to plug the vacuum hose when your re-timing it.
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Jun 16 2005, 08:07 AM
Post #9

ive done the 3500 timing w/ hoses off twice to double check myself. I hook the hose back up and it about dies, sputters, pops, knocks..it doesnt like it. PUll it off and it runs fine. I put it on the advance port and it seems to loose most of the flat spot in the accel. I think im just going to ditch the dizzy and crane box and go w/ a mallory dist. or something. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 16 2005, 11:03 AM
Post #10

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Plug in the hose to the retard fitting, as stated--then set the idle speed by loosening the screw in the throttle body. (As was already stated.)

Verify that your idle timing is right around TDC with the vacuum retard hooked up.

Mallory won't work with D-jet. (Not unless you fake up a way to trigger the injectors, like Mueller did.) If you've got L-jet, or carbs, you're using the wrong timing setting anyway.

--DD
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Jun 16 2005, 11:07 AM
Post #11

ok, i admit it, im a dumkopf. Advanced the optic eye on my crane ignition and now the car idles right, no flat spot and when i hooked the hose to the retard line, no knocking.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 16 2005, 11:52 AM
Post #12

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Sounds like you were setting the timing incorrectly, then. When you moved the pickup, you changed the timing. Test it now and see where it's set.

Could you have been using the wrong timing mark? Do you have a timing light with an advance knob on it--and forgot to zero the knob before you checked? (Not that I've done both of those myself. More than twice.)

--DD
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jun 16 2005, 12:36 PM
Post #13

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

QUOTE (Gint @ Jun 16 2005, 06:12 AM)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) Just don't forget to plug the vacuum hose when your re-timing it.

Just to clarify, for a d-jet car who's timing is set at 3500rpm, there is no need to plug the vacuum hoses when setting the timing. As long as both advance and retard are disconnected at one end or the other, that's all that is necessary. No harm done in plugging them - it's just unnecessary as the timing is unaffected either way.

Demick
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 16 2005, 03:12 PM
Post #14

Mike Ginter

Good point since there's no vacuum on that port at 3500 rpm. I stand corrected. Just a habit I've gotten into.

Anywho... Glad you got it worked out. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Jun 16 2005, 03:18 PM
Post #15

Sir Post-a-lot

just wait Gint until I get my motor back in.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 16 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #16

Mike Ginter

Whaddyagonnado? Time it to death? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 02:51 PM