Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How important to you is it to keep things original?, OEM vs mild custom and car values...
r_towle
post Sep 6 2018, 08:50 PM
Post #21

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Don’t put in a rollbar, it is just a head banging device
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Sep 6 2018, 08:55 PM
Post #22

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

I was in my hot tub one evening this summer with my 10 and 13 year old grandsons. I try to teach them about all kinds of esoteric things during these times. Having lost a friend recently, I somehow got to explaining how a Will works after someone dies. “You write down things you might want to give to certain people after you die so you know who gets what” kind of an explanation. They listened intently. After I finished, my 10 year old said “Poppa”? I said “Yes Grif”? Without missing a beat he said “Can I have the Porsche?” I about fell out of the hot tub laughing!!!!
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Sep 6 2018, 09:17 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 6 2018, 07:50 PM) *

Don’t put in a rollbar, it is just a head banging device

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Why did you want to do this mod ??
+Quote Post
bmtrnavsky
post Sep 6 2018, 10:08 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 8,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 6 2018, 04:17 PM) *

I always threw it to the wind and did what I wanted. But now that these things are becoming more and more classic, it's more and more important to rethink. Some of the stuff I used to want to do, I would not do anymore because of the value that's growing with the originality.

Like 10% of me feels this way which is why I ask the question. My Model A is more or less how ford built it... this is a different kind of toy for me though. I want to play with it but I get that it is actually much more rare and worth more.
+Quote Post
bmtrnavsky
post Sep 6 2018, 10:14 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Sep 6 2018, 04:56 PM) *

Most people don't even notice that my car isn't stock, yet I have done so many small modifications that help me drive it easier or enjoy it more. Here's the complete list...
Engine, Original 2.0 Liter, Fuel Injected
- K&N air filter
- Monza exhaust system
- Crane electronic ignition system
- Nology HotWires sparkplug wires

Exterior
- Empi rims
- Hella dual horns
- Porsche door stripes
- Cloth lined front trunk
- Engine lid restraint cable
- Black Widow security alarm
- LED front signal and running lights
- Front fender parking lights removed
- Optima battery external charger port
- Targa bar mounted strobe LED third brake light
- Porsche front bumper plate with LED illumination
- BlazeCut automatic engine fire suppression system
- Porsche rear reflector lens with LED running and brake illumination

Interior
- HD Mirror Camera
- Porsche dash light
- Rennline short shift kit
- LED dash gauge lighting
- “Heater On” dash indicator light
- Solenoid activated rear trunk release
- Momo steering wheel with eccentric lift spacer
- Tartan cloth seats with driver’s side cushion thigh lift
- Fog lights rewired for use as Daytime Running Lights
- Blaupunkt six speaker stereo system with electric antenna
- Brake pedal repositioned leftward to increase gas pedal foot room
- Raised center console armrest with cupholder and fire extinquisher

I want to do a lot of those same things. I’d also like turn signals in the mirrors. Weird I know but it’s a subtle modern touch and letting people know I’m coming over is important in Texas where it’s a truly tiny car in a sea of trucks and SUVs.
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Sep 6 2018, 10:25 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

For me it would depend on how original car the was when I got it. Mine wasnt at all and had crash and rust damage so it would never be as good as a 100% unmolested car so I had zero issues modifying it.

But then as a personal taste dont think I could live with a stock 100% original 914. I would need being lowered and with none stock wheels at least. But that would all be reversable.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Sep 7 2018, 03:32 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I don't worry about it at all....because I am the future owner.
Mine was a rust bucket and completely worn out when I bought it.
Anything I've done to the car has only brought more value to it in one way or the other.
Everything I've done are "tasteful" upgrades that appear factory anyway.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 7 2018, 05:00 AM
Post #28

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 7 2018, 05:32 AM) *

I don't worry about it at all....because I am the future owner.
Mine was a rust bucket and completely worn out when I bought it.
Anything I've done to the car has only brought more value to it in one way or the other.
Everything I've done are "tasteful" upgrades that appear factory anyway.

Doug - Your car is amazing. I just started re-reading the build thread last night for inspiration and ideas.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 7 2018, 06:09 AM
Post #29

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81

I modded Dad's car with a Tarrett front sway bar, Eibach coil over springs, a 2056, LSD, SSIs, Bilstein shocks, and that was the way I liked it 10 years ago. Now days, I remember what it was like bone stock, and will be heading back in that direction. All I ever do is drive it around town and there is a joy in a stock 914 2.0. As far as value, my 914 is my Dad's who was a truly great man, and it will never be for sale as long as I'm alive. If one of both of my kids sell it, I hope the new owner enjoys it as much as I have over the past 42 years.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Sep 7 2018, 06:11 AM
Post #30

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Sep 6 2018, 07:55 PM) *

I was in my hot tub one evening this summer with my 10 and 13 year old grandsons. I try to teach them about all kinds of esoteric things during these times. Having lost a friend recently, I somehow got to explaining how a Will works after someone dies. “You write down things you might want to give to certain people after you die so you know who gets what” kind of an explanation. They listened intently. After I finished, my 10 year old said “Poppa”? I said “Yes Grif”? Without missing a beat he said “Can I have the Porsche?” I about fell out of the hot tub laughing!!!!

That is hilarious. The kid has good sense. Hope he has to wait a long time to get your Porsche.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 7 2018, 06:13 AM
Post #31

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 7 2018, 05:11 AM) *

That is hilarious. The kid has good sense. Hope he has to wait a long time to get your Porsche.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I watch my back around my 11 year old, he may just decide to take me out in order to drive the ABM.
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Sep 7 2018, 06:43 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

You have a very desirable car '73 2.0 in a great factory color. I would get it back to as close to original as possible and sell it $20k-$25k is not out of the question. Then I would by a non matching car in a non original color for less than half the money and modify the Sh*t out of it.
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Sep 7 2018, 10:56 AM
Post #33

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802

====================
Thanks BD, I hope he does too. I told Grif that the 914 was already in my Will to my son, so Grif would have to talk (or take out!) his uncle to get in the line for it.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
bmtrnavsky
post Sep 7 2018, 11:23 AM
Post #34

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Sep 7 2018, 08:56 AM) *

====================
Thanks BD, I hope he does too. I told Grif that the 914 was already in my Will to my son, so Grif would have to talk (or take out!) his uncle to get in the line for it.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

My daughters both want mine too... neither are too excited about the 31 Ford. they think its cool but it's not fast lol.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 7 2018, 11:43 AM
Post #35

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I believe you should make it the car you want regardless. I have made some decisions on my Six that I know frustrate the purists out there but it is being built for me, not them. Additionally, I really do not see the changes I have made as life-altering for the car. The biggest is the color change from Gold to Irish Green- but it has been done absolutely correctly and the color is a factory '71 Six color. Then the other biggest change is the 3.2 motor. Again, that is easily changed back to original configuration if I ever wanted to do that. I have an original '71 Six case.

I like that my Six is being made to my taste not the future owner's taste when I die. So I say mod away with taste. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Sep 7 2018, 11:48 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

Kids LOVE 914's!!!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 07:59 PM