Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Shifting Issues after Side Shift Conversion
914bub
post Sep 8 2018, 08:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,260
Region Association: None

I collected parts for 3 years for my conversion and finally completed it this week. Now the shifter is super stiff to move anywhere. Here's a little background info:

I installed a side shift transmission and of course converted, shifter, linkage etc. New bushing back at the transmission and a Tangerine bushing at the firewall,(Thanks Chris!) I have only backed it out of the garage, turned it around and backed it back in so I haven't had it on the road to row through the gears. What concerns me is I've had issues before finding gears,(one of the reasons I converted, but not the only one), but now it is very stiff even moving side to side in what is neutral.

You know how you can grab your shifter and "wiggle" it side to side without moving it forward or back to select a gear? even moving it there is stiff. It's like something is binding?

A little more info. I installed a new complete clutch kit with new flywheel about 1000 miles ago. New clutch cable with the side shift conversion and I also inspected clutch tube in tunnel to be sure it was OK but I know that won't cause shift linkage binding. Pedal assembly is freshly rebuilt as well. I'm just trying to give as much clutch/transmission/shifter info as I can!

Any ideas? I've waited four years for first gear and haven't driven the car in 2 years now. While it was down I also installed the stereo, ATS classics with new Michelins, fuel pump conversion and few more things. As you can imagine I'm itchy to try it all out!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 07:49 PM