Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Early 914 brake light switch
isdyl
post Sep 16 2018, 01:50 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,217
Region Association: England

Brilliant - 914Sixer has sent me one - thank you very much!

Here is the car by the way. Still a few jobs to do but not too far off being on the road.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
isdyl
post Sep 23 2018, 01:39 PM
Post #22

Its arrived! Thank you very much again.
Dylan
+Quote Post
isdyl
post Apr 11 2019, 03:07 AM
Post #23

Hi, sorry to resurrect my old thread, but I'm still having a few issues with brake pressure. I've done quite a lot of searching around but before I waste any more time removing wheels again I thought I'd describe my symptoms and see if I'm barking up the wrong tree!

I replaced the brake pressure switch kindly sent to me by 914Sixer and have bled the brakes a couple of times.When I'm driving or stationary with the engine on I get a clicking/ticking from the flasher relay (but no warning light flashing). If I press the brake pedal the clicking/ticking stops for about 5 seconds and then starts again. It I apply the parking brake when stationary the light on the dash flashes in time with the ticking (as it should). Indicators all work as they should. In some places I have read that the switch needs resetting, but I don't think this is that type as there is no reset button. I wonder if I just need to keep bleeding the brakes - maybe I have air trapped somewhere? I have read that air can get trapped in the brake proportioning valve - could this cause this problem please?

Thanks, Dylan
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Apr 11 2019, 06:28 AM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Check your hand brake switch. Make sure it is pushing it all the way down. Easy to take out the screw and check for movement or corrosion. It is a single pole VW door switch. There is NO reset on MC switch.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Apr 11 2019, 07:42 AM
Post #25

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(isdyl @ Apr 11 2019, 05:07 AM) *

I replaced the brake pressure switch kindly sent to me by 914Sixer and have bled the brakes a couple of times.When I'm driving or stationary with the engine on I get a clicking/ticking from the flasher relay (but no warning light flashing). If I press the brake pedal the clicking/ticking stops for about 5 seconds and then starts again. It I apply the parking brake when stationary the light on the dash flashes in time with the ticking (as it should). Indicators all work as they should. In some places I have read that the switch needs resetting, but I don't think this is that type as there is no reset button. I wonder if I just need to keep bleeding the brakes - maybe I have air trapped somewhere? I have read that air can get trapped in the brake proportioning valve - could this cause this problem please?

Thanks, Dylan

This phantom clicking of the flasher relay is unfortunately not that rare. I'm working with a 911 owner with the same problem. The issue seems that if there is some electrical leakage path from pin 49a to ground the flasher will flash (click) without any lights lighting up. If the leakage path is through the brake warning light, it might be so that there is enough current to trigger the flasher but not actually light up the bulb.

You can check this by either popping out the dash gauge and removing the brake warning bulb. If the clicking stops then it has to do with the wiring of the brake warning light.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
isdyl
post Apr 11 2019, 03:03 PM
Post #26

Thank you - I'll have a good look at that. D
+Quote Post
isdyl
post Jul 10 2019, 07:43 AM
Post #27

Hi - sorry its taken me a long time to follow this up! I removed the wires to the warning lamp and yes the ticking has stopped - hooray! I'll have to start hunting around for the short/leakage now. Thanks - I'll start near the parking brake area as that switch is a bit dodgy. D

QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 11 2019, 07:42 AM) *

QUOTE(isdyl @ Apr 11 2019, 05:07 AM) *

Thanks, Dylan

This phantom clicking of the flasher relay is unfortunately not that rare. I'm working with a 911 owner with the same problem. The issue seems that if there is some electrical leakage path from pin 49a to ground the flasher will flash (click) without any lights lighting up. If the leakage path is through the brake warning light, it might be so that there is enough current to trigger the flasher but not actually light up the bulb.

You can check this by either popping out the dash gauge and removing the brake warning bulb. If the clicking stops then it has to do with the wiring of the brake warning light.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:50 AM