Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LE 15322, It will be six years in November
TravisNeff
post Nov 17 2018, 04:48 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

That paint job is sensational!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rstover
post Nov 17 2018, 04:57 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 13,785

Before the air box was installed I replaced the windshield wiper hoses. I used this 356 part which appeared the same as what was in the car.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Nov 17 2018, 11:28 PM
Post #23

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611
Region Association: South East States

There was once a thread about how difficult a task was from 1 to 10. Fresh air box ratted a 10, so just getting it working is a major feat. I feel it is the absolute worst task in the car but it needs to be done first upon reassemble.
NICE PAINT...
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Nov 18 2018, 06:57 AM
Post #24

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Really is a pain. Getting the control cable to snap back in underneath caused me to utter, then yell a lot of bad words. I came within one last attempt to remove the hood when it popped into place.

I'd rather remove and install a dash pad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
rstover
post Nov 20 2018, 08:35 PM
Post #25

This rear sail panel trim was cerakoted. I don't know what was original, but it is my understanding that it was supposed painted satin black. Before being redone there was a difference in the shade and texture between the long horizontal bar and the curved vertical pieces and had no idea what had been done previously. I originally thought that I would get it black anodized but this proved impractical. A gun store told me about this new cerakote operation which was only about 25 miles away and they ended up doing it. I just was not sure about paint holding up.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I spent about two hours Saturday trying to clean up the fan housing and got a spot about 3x5 inches looking sorta good. Today I took it to the cerakote place and it took him about 10 seconds to clean a 3x5 spot. They had very nice blasting cabinet and I think he said he was using aluminum oxide. I am using the color that is close to the spot that was blasted clean. It is always a struggle for me between trying to b original and practical. I think this is a case where it will look original but better. It maybe just sales info, but when I asked him about heat, he said that cerakote would not hold heat as powder coating. Hopefully I will have some pictures to share in two weeks.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 20 2018, 08:38 PM
Post #26

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

cerakote is good stuff
+Quote Post
euro911
post Nov 20 2018, 09:06 PM
Post #27

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rstover @ Nov 20 2018, 06:35 PM) *
This rear sail panel trim was cerakoted. I don't know what was original, but it is my understanding that it was supposed painted satin black. Before being redone there was a difference in the shade and texture between the long horizontal bar and the curved vertical pieces and had no idea what had been done previously. I originally thought that I would get it black anodized but this proved impractical. A gun store told me about this new cerakote operation which was only about 25 miles away and they ended up doing it. I just was not sure about paint holding up.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Nice. The cerakote looks to be a great option for the folks who decide to eliminate the brightwork windshield trim and go with the plain rubber seal ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I think a pint ($70.) of this would be more than enough, but not sure if the 4 oz. 'tester' ($35.) would be enough to do all three pieces (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishe...graphite-black/
+Quote Post
rstover
post Nov 21 2018, 05:01 PM
Post #28

Today i connected the defrost vents to the air box valves with those nasty circle clips. I didn't put my eye out, but it was possible. The first one was a front one and it went flying a couple of times when I was using a large needle nose pliers. Probably spent 45 minutes on it. Attached Image

The last one was the back right clip. It took about 3 minutes. I put the clip in the vise pinched it together and put a quarter inch short extension over the end. Then was able to push it on and pull the extension off. It would have helped if I would have had a extension that I was willing to grind flatter on one side.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
rstover
post Dec 10 2018, 05:58 PM
Post #29

I have been very lazy about posting. Here is a picture of the stabilizer that was refurbished by Bruce. It had been parked under the desk to long and now it is where it belongs.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 11 2018, 04:56 AM
Post #30

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Very nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rstover
post Dec 11 2018, 06:26 PM
Post #31

I completed getting the lights in a few weeks ago. When I disassembled the lights I wasn't sure that I would get them back in and pointing in the same direction. It was a matter of turning the lights on and then disconnecting the power. When installing did the same.and then put the parts back together. This was one of those rare instances when it worked the first time.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 11 2018, 06:41 PM
Post #32

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Insanely beautiful! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Every time I open this thread, I can't get over the reflection in that paint.
+Quote Post
rstover
post Mar 10 2019, 05:53 PM
Post #33

With my neighbors help we got the windshield and trim in. Again it is a learning process. This was second attempt. The first time we had problem with dash to windshield seal. The second seal was better. Paint thinner works well for cleaning butyl tape. The windshield needs to be set pretty precisely. We made setting blocks and also used masking tape guides. Also reviewed all the post on 914 world.

Attached Image

Some will recall that I had a little engine pannick when it came back from paint. Thanks for the 914 world support I was able to sort this out. Nothing was broken, but I did take the engine out remove all hoses, tin, wiring to clean it everything. Like most everything on the car I would do it different and have the second time. It would have been much easier to remove the the engine prior to paint. There was much more dust everywhere than I would have thought possible. The good side of this was that I learned a lot about the engine components. I want to thank Jeff for his clear and easy diagrams on wiring and hoses. I got stumped a couple of times a Mark cleared it up for me. He also stopped by for support a couple of weeks ago. I had glitches here and there. When I put the intake manifolds back on I didn't notice the wave washers which were left between the gasket and manifold. When the engine was rebuilt they put some wave washers on one side for some reason. When I removed the manifolds I put the nuts and washers back on the studs and I didn't notice the washers when I put the manifold back on. I can now assure you that a vacuum leak on F.I. will cause a fast idle. It was about 4000 with a broken gasket. Everything seem to be working now,but have not had any longer shake downs. Again thanks to all for for helpful post.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Mar 11 2019, 07:49 AM
Post #34

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457

I stopped by earlier in the month to see Roger and the car. Clean beyond belief. Going to be a 100 point restoration in my opinion. The yellow is spot on. Roger had the original valance and rockers to compare the color match.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Mar 11 2019, 07:54 AM
Post #35

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

all of that beautiful perfect work and a hood badge???????????
+Quote Post
rstover
post Mar 11 2019, 09:52 AM
Post #36

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 11 2019, 07:54 AM) *

The hood badge was on when I bought the car. I had to decide to keep it or weld holes shut, which would have required to paint underside of hood. When the decisions are to hard I defer to the boss she really liked the badge
+Quote Post
Creamsicle New Zealand
post Mar 11 2019, 01:13 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 18,403
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

QUOTE(rstover @ Mar 11 2019, 07:52 AM) *

The hood badge was on when I bought the car. I had to decide to keep it or weld holes shut, which would have required to paint underside of hood. When the decisions are to hard I defer to the boss she really liked the badge

Great looking work. From your reply to George have you not painted underside of hood?
+Quote Post
rstover
post Mar 11 2019, 01:47 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(Creamsicle New Zealand @ Mar 11 2019, 01:13 PM) *

QUOTE(rstover @ Mar 11 2019, 07:52 AM) *

Great looking work. From your reply to George have you not painted underside of hood?

Neither hood was painted on underside.
+Quote Post
rstover
post Mar 25 2019, 07:53 PM
Post #39

The local sign shop finished the negative stripe last Friday. We attended the Hill country rallye with 2 other Bumble Bees. There were over a hundred cars to admire and great owners to visit with. The car is mostly where I want it ,but will have to work on a couple of, what I think are minor electrical issue. Parking brake light stays on and it must be grounding behind dash. I Have check it to tunnel. I have driven it about 50 miles and everything seem to be behaving.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Mar 25 2019, 10:34 PM
Post #40

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Wow...That punches! Congrats Roger.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:57 PM