Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Spray gun recommendations
bbrock
post Sep 12 2018, 09:14 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I've been using the cheap Harbor Freight spray gun just to spray epoxy primer inside internal cavities that won't be seen, but now I need to get a better gun for the rest of the project. I'm leaning toward the Devilbiss StartingLine kit because it comes with a variety of tips but reviews are all over the matt. I'm pretty impressed with the results @aggiezig got with it. Eastwood's Concours 2 gun also caught my eye. Wondering what others might recommend. I want to keep the cost under $200ish. I'll be spraying PPG Deltron line paints (DCC single stage and DBC basecoat with DC clear) in silver metallic if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
BIGKAT_83
post Sep 12 2018, 10:11 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

I've had good luck with a Devilbiss 4 flg-670
a little more money but worth it.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Sep 12 2018, 10:21 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Sep 12 2018, 10:11 AM) *

I've had good luck with a Devilbiss 4 flg-670
a little more money but worth it.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

Good to know. That's another I was eyeballing and was exactly why I added the "ish" to my max budget. Just wasn't sure if the extra cost would be wasted on an amateur like me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post Sep 12 2018, 10:42 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,946
Region Association: Southern California

I've been very tempted by the new 3M system.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-16580-Accuspray-S...d/dp/B01497MZB6

I've used a lot of mid range guns and this seems to answer a lot of the problems associated with them.

-Aaron
+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 12 2018, 11:37 AM
Post #5

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Sep 12 2018, 09:42 AM) *

I've used a lot of mid range guns and this seems to answer a lot of the problems associated with them.

-Aaron

This looks great. May need to get one. Thanks

Bob B
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Sep 12 2018, 12:34 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Sep 12 2018, 10:42 AM) *

-Aaron

We have a new contender! That looks pretty sweet and reviews on other forums are good. Thanks for this.
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Sep 12 2018, 01:04 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 20,535
Region Association: Southwest Region

Check out the Eastwood Concourse Pro spray gun. Low CFM for use with smaller compressors. $210 but works real well for me.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 12 2018, 01:54 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Just bought the starting line kit to supplement my sata jet.. I will let you know as I will be shooting 944 parts this week.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Sep 12 2018, 02:37 PM
Post #9

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

I have had really good luck with Devilbliss Starting Line kit. Super impressed with it as well as the PPG Concept paint. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Sep 12 2018, 03:52 PM
Post #10

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225

If you’re gonna do a lot of spraying Iwata or Sata, the best stuff Japanese or German.
For ease of use and cleaning simplicity the Accuspray can’t be beat.
Chip Foose does a demo using multi colors from the same gun!
The replacement tips and plastic mixing containers are not so eco friendly but the advantage of not using quarts of thinner and easy disposal, I let the extra paint dry and toss the hard brick in the trash.
Less than $100 for a gun and 3 tips on eBay. FYI a tip is good for 6 go arounds and you can easily change size.
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Sep 12 2018, 04:01 PM
Post #11

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225

Attached Image

I used a 1.4 tip for the single stage black, used the 1.8 tip to shoot the epoxy, same gun.
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Sep 12 2018, 04:09 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

Check this guy out and his recommendations -
I was looking at his #3 pick, the DeVilbiss SGK 1.4mm (FLG5)

The Gunmans Top Ten Sprayguns
+Quote Post
djway
post Sep 13 2018, 01:12 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 19,266

Go two stage as it is more forgiving
You can use just about any old gun for the color coat. I use a 50 dollar HF gun for that.
I use an Iwatta 400 for the clear.
Never run color through the gun you will clear with.
Below is my garage paint job
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914dave
post Sep 13 2018, 06:21 AM
Post #14

914 Addict

Member No.: 1,262
Region Association: North East States

A good gun will make for less mistakes. I bought a pro grade finish devilbiss. Recommended by my paint instructor. The one he uses at work, roughly $300. It was night and day from the basic starter devilbiss. Sprayed a fine mist. Keeps you from getting runs in unusually shaped areas. I can get you the model # when and if I get home from Okteenerfest. Shoot me a pm if I forget
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Sep 13 2018, 08:54 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 7,712

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Sep 12 2018, 09:42 AM) *

-Aaron

The 3M PPS is ok, its not great and very limited. In all honesty its a turd. With the selection of heads and cups it looks attractive but do your homework and look again. 3M is great at marketing "attractive". The consumables will eat you alive and that's how 3M is profiting on the PPS. #1 complaint from shops is the cost of cups/ liners. #2 complaint is consistency in spray patterns. The 3M PPS guns are made by Graco which is good if you are painting a house.

The PPS life of service is dependent on 3M's sales. In few years if its not profitable 3M will retire it as they have done with every line of abrasives in the past. They screwed the entire automotive industry with the Hook It system. (just put the velcro on the other side and everyone has to buy new pads, backers etc.) 3M doesn't actually make anything, they just market and sell everyone else's stuff.

You can pick up a decent DeVilbiss Starting Line/ Finish Line gun kits and they are very good performing guns at the entry level. Sharpe Finex is also good and reasonably priced. They will do a very nice job and last a long time with proper cleaning.

If you are spraying base and clear get two guns, one for each.

Autobody Toolmart has periodic specials on high end guns; Sata, Anest Iwata, DeVilbiss Tekna, Sharpe Razor lines. They are more expensive but they lay down coatings like no other. Atomization is a science. Different size nozzle orifice availability from all of these manufacturers adds to flexibility limiting how many guns are needed for base and clear, solvent or waterborne. These all offer both disposable cups or reusable hard reservoirs so you can decide what you like best. The initial investment is more but in the long run you will save a lot. The Satas and Iwatas hold value and they last a long long time. I have never seen one wear out in 20 years of daily production use. Needles, heads, packing and o-rings are pretty much all that wears and cheap to replace. Its all about fluid control. The better guns don't require much fiddling with, they lay down consistent film thickness when set up correctly, use less material. You could always buy a higher end spray gun, do your work and then sell it.

If you screw up a refinish with a cheap gun just on the coating application the cost of materials on the rework alone could have bought a Sata or Iwata.

With a high end gun even the worlds crappiest Nason paint can come out decent.
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Sep 13 2018, 09:44 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 7,712

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Sep 12 2018, 03:09 PM) *

Check this guy out and his recommendations -
I was looking at his #3 pick, the DeVilbiss SGK 1.4mm (FLG5)

The Gunmans Top Ten Sprayguns

These are good quality spray guns.

Stay away from these:
The ANI's have thin necks and have been known to break if they hit the floor.

Airgunsa are showing up more in the industry as throw away sealer guns. Not great for color or clear. Think Italian Harbor Freight except a notch higher. Parts serviceability is known to be sketchy. They used to be known under the name IMPACT. The castings and foundry are done in Italy and final machining/ assembly I think was in the Czech republic if I recall. They have been sold under a bunch of names over the years.
+Quote Post
djway
post Sep 14 2018, 01:06 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 19,266

I love the 3m disposable cup system
The places you can get to and not worry about a leak, then you just throw it away.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Sep 14 2018, 08:35 AM
Post #18

914 Guru

I really appreciate all the info here. This has been a HUGE help! Between this, and doing more research online, I think I've settled on the Devilbiss FLG4 670 Finishline kit although I wish it had a 1.4 mm tip instead of the funky 1.5 mm.

I was leaning heavily toward the 3M Accuspray but shy away from disposable stuff and do worry that tips might not be available if I do another project in 10 years. It is also hard to find honest reviews on that system because 3M has FLOODED Youtube with sponsored reviews or their own promotional vids.

The Startingline still looks like a decent option but the Finishline looks to be a little more consistent quality and better product for not too much more $ in the grand scheme. The Gunman likes it anyway (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I can't justify anything higher end than the Finishline though. In the 30 years I've owned my old suction feed gun, I think I sprayed one car and two other small projects. Likewise, I can't justify 2 guns for base/clear to spray just one car. If I planned to do more painting, it would be a different story.

Thanks again for all the input. It really swayed me toward a decision. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 15 2018, 06:13 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I bought the finishline kit and used both guns today to spray the cabin of my car and the hood of my sons 944. The guns both worked well. My Sata probably needs a rebuild.. I like the finishline kit for the costAttached Image
+Quote Post
FL000
post Sep 15 2018, 07:06 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 14,076

I painted my car last year with the Devilbiss starting line kit. First time painter but I did lots of research and was able to get very satisfying results. I ended up switching to the 3M disposable cup system and was glad - cleanup was quicker and it was nice to premix an extra cup and have it waiting if I needed it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:52 AM