Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clutch/accelerator cable set-up, How much free play?
ChrisReale
post Jul 13 2003, 07:14 PM
Post #1

Sleazy

Group: Members
Member No.: 176

When tightening your clutch cable, how much free play do you want in the pedal? When adjusting the acc. cable at the throttle body, how loose should it be? When I had my acc. cable too tight, I would push the clutch in, and the rpm's would shoot up. So, what is the right set up?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Jul 13 2003, 09:03 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Chris,

My acc cable has quite a bit of free play at the throttle body. I can move it to the side about 1/2" without moving the actual throttle. It always seemed like too much to me but, I never could notice any dead peddle so I left it alone. I quess it's that old "if it ain't busted don't fix it" or maybe my feet are so insensitive I can't feel it.

With the clutch on the otherhand, I've always been told to adjust it out so there is only about an inch of free travel. The reason I've been told is that it allows a little easier shifting into 1st.

Dave
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 13 2003, 10:44 PM
Post #3

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Jul 13 2003, 06:14 PM)
When I had my acc. cable too tight, I would push the clutch in, and the rpm's would shoot up. So, what is the right set up?

sounds like your 2 cables are wrapped around each other. no matter how tight your accel cable is, the clutch should never effect your rpm ...

check the front center tunnel, where the clutch cable comes out of the tube and see if the accel cable is wrapped around it.

later,
Andy
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jul 14 2003, 09:25 AM
Post #4

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

I also think you have them twisted. I have done it twice. Drove all day with no problem and then all of a sudden it bound up and engine would not return to idle. Other time was more interesting (different car). Autocrossing my six and when I got on it hard the clutch would slip. Thought I was overpowering my clutch. Turned out the cables were twisted and when I floored the throttle I was partially releasing the clutch. Had to use a mirror at front of tunnel with flashlight shining forward from the shift lever hole to see it clearly. Sure an easier and cheaper fix than a new clutch!
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 14 2003, 10:04 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Dave is right on.

I set them up with 3/4 - 1 inch of pedal travel depending on the heigth of the owner.

Your standing a 99% chance you have the cables "wrapped".

Make sure BOTH stops are in place and adjusted correctly on the pedal board.

Also make sure your getting full throttle without "pulling" on the intake plenum.... which means you need to adjust the throttle stop below the pedal.

B
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 08:01 PM