Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Thread Sealer On Exhaust Manifold Stud, What Should I Use, If Anything
motorvated
post Sep 13 2018, 05:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,519
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Took my exhaust off yesterday and one of the exhaust manifold studs unscrewed with the nut attached. The threads are good, so I shouldn't have a problem putting it back in. So my question is whether or not I should put some thread sealer on the stud when I screw it back in, and if so, should I use something like Locktite blue strong or red permanent thread sealer. I'm thinking the heat may make using thread sealer a mute point, so I'm asking the Brain Trust of the World for advice.

Thanks, Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
JamesM
post Sep 13 2018, 08:39 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

The copper lock nuts are great at pulling exhaust studs and never letting go. I have had to replace almost every stud I ever attempted to install them on. I wouldn't use them again if you paid me to!

These are my new go to for exhaust nuts:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-Flanged-R...-p/acn-nuts.htm

Having the extra space is REALLY nice to keep your socket from jamming against the pipes and the 13mm flange is nice for multiple reasons. Was so happy when i found these.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:17 AM