Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New 914-6 Owner and Weber Recommendation
AHudson
post Sep 14 2018, 08:10 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,112
Region Association: South East States

Hi Folks, first post here and delighted to have been reading, studying, learning a ton.

Brief history: Long time Porsche fan, starting with - you guessed it - a 914 back in the days they were nearly free. As a broke college student, free was about my price range, but the 914 introduced me to a world far beyond the British cars that had been leaking on my rented driveways.

Went on to own and almost always have a 911 of some sort in the garage, keeping company with several of "those" Italian cars until move to a semi remote lake a few years back stripped me of service accessibility.

This, and a recent business sale/retirement, forced me to shed the complicated and needy in favor of the more robust, serviceable, and dare I say 'simpler' cars.

Got my first 914 in 25 years about 4 months ago. A 76 2.0 (of course) in black/black. Took me straight back in time and I couldn't quit smiling on the 50 mile drive back to my little garage. Super solid, wonderful car, with a good history. I jumped into cleaning, discovery, improvement.

Fast forward: Two weekends ago, after much protracted negotiation, I added a 914-6. (I had to buy an SC with it to make the deal.) And it is a jewel. Slightly neglected, but very easily reclaimable to show worthiness. Not kidding myself on that as I've been through everything from rusted hulks brought back to only needing air in the tires.

The car is a two time former Parade winner, and has seen delicate care since. It has THE most complete documentation of any car I've ever owned. (Maybe 150?) It may not be the best 14-6 around, but to my eye, it is quite good, quite complete.

There will be more posts about the particulars as I continue this journey, but right now, needing my Webers built as they pop when warm and throttle shaft (drivers side) is pretty wobbly. The seller provided me with a spare set (!) numbered for a 914-6, so I could get those built to minimize downtime, or get both built "just because". <-- A very expensive phrase for car lovers!

Anyway, happy to be a small part of a great forum. You folks have taught me much in my short time here, I have much more to learn!

Sorry pics of the car on Day One in my little place...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 14 2018, 08:15 AM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Mark DeBernardi who is McMark here on the World. He owns Original Customs.

@McMark
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Sep 14 2018, 08:17 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Nice looking car! I’d send the carbs to Paul Abbot at Performance Oriented. I think however that he is booked out so far that he lets people sign up in a que, then he’ll tell you when to send your carbs for a rebuild. Hopefully others will have other options, but it’s important to have them properly rebuilt (especially the worn throttle shaft). Replacing them with some PMO carbs may be another option for driving while you keep the originals.
+Quote Post
bob
post Sep 14 2018, 08:23 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 109
Region Association: None

Matt Blast at Eurometrix rebuilds webers. (including throttle-shafts)

[url=https://eurometrix.ws/]

-bob
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 14 2018, 09:08 AM
Post #5

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) .... So you decided to stop "Horsin' Around" .... huh!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You should probably touch base with George Hussey at Auto Atlanta near-ish to you, & also touch base with Dave W/toolguy in San Diego CA & Andy T/Socalandy in Orange CA on here - since both are very familiar with 914-6's & the "Weber Wars" of getting them sorted. All 3 should have some reccos for you.

I'd heard from Dave that the PMOs have some issues, so ask him about them, as well as Andy & George.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 14 2018, 09:55 AM
Post #6

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 14 2018, 07:17 AM) *

Nice looking car! I’d send the carbs to Paul Abbot at Performance Oriented. I think however that he is booked out so far that he lets people sign up in a que, then he’ll tell you when to send your carbs for a rebuild. Hopefully others will have other options, but it’s important to have them properly rebuilt (especially the worn throttle shaft). Replacing them with some PMO carbs may be another option for driving while you keep the originals.

The re-bushing of Webbers is an art and there are not a lot of guys doing this. Plus, it takes forever to get them done. George Rud is right. Get PMOs and save the Webbers so you have what came on the car.

You have a very nice 6 and well great stable of cars.

Welcome to the World!

Bob B
+Quote Post
Dion
post Sep 14 2018, 10:31 AM
Post #7

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Welcome & beautiful 914 & car collection!
I recently bought a set of Weber’s from a member here.
He had then recently rebuilt before my purchase . Was very well pleased. My engine isn’t ready to go in my resto. So I’m not running yet.
Perfect Power was the facility’s name I’ll try to link page.
Good luck.
https://perfectpowerinc.com/

Cheers, Dion
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Sep 14 2018, 11:52 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

Sol at Perfect Power is a perfectionist and has been working on these cars for many years. Though his services don’t come cheap, he’ll be sure it’s done correctly. Nice to have him in the Chicagoland area.
+Quote Post
pete000
post Sep 14 2018, 12:11 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,094

Looking forward seeing more pictures and progress. Car looks already near perfect !
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 14 2018, 02:24 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Read somewhere that Paul Abbot is not taking on any new work,he is going to finish his backlog of existing customers and retire.
I suggest the OP go's over to Pelican to get further feedback on carb rebuilders,Henry @ Supertech offers this service from memory,also look into upsizing the venturies ,idle and main jets for a useful power increase.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) nice car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Sep 14 2018, 04:17 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 14 2018, 11:08 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) .... So you decided to stop "Horsin' Around" .... huh!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You should probably touch base with George Hussey at Auto Atlanta near-ish to you, & also touch base with Dave W/toolguy in San Diego CA & Andy T/Socalandy in Orange CA on here - since both are very familiar with 914-6's & the "Weber Wars" of getting them sorted. All 3 should have some reccos for you.

I'd heard from Dave that the PMOs have some issues, so ask him about them, as well as Andy & George.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

Welcome !
Looks like you found a great car.
Best color too.
You've come to the right place.
George Hussey ? Caveat emptor.
I used Pierce Manifolds to re-do my throttle shafts to 8.5mm
Rory
PS pictured are cars #1095 and 1108

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
AHudson
post Sep 16 2018, 06:04 PM
Post #12

Man, you guys are great. I went silent over the weekend hosting about 10 of my more insane friends from college days. My wife couldn't get out of town fast enough, so I was stretched a little thin.

Anyway, what a fantastic collection of recommendations; I assure you I will research all. George was kind to me during the looking/authentication process and he knows the car. I was not aware they rebuilt webers.

I've heard of Sol at Perfect Power before and those with the "other" cars with Webers have also spoken of his expertise.

Far as the PMOs, unless I get totally backed off the Weber build, I'll likely try to keep it original as I can, though I understand PMOs are great quality and easier to live with.

Thanks again for the welcome and the advice!
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Sep 16 2018, 06:10 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Curtiss at Parts Klassik too.

Skip Autos Atlanta.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 16 2018, 06:26 PM
Post #14

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Welcome to the club AHudson. That sure looks like a beauty you got there. Looking forward to seeing a lot more photos of that Six. Enjoy and have fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Sep 16 2018, 07:03 PM
Post #15

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942

QUOTE(AHudson @ Sep 16 2018, 05:04 PM) *

Man, you guys are great. I went silent over the weekend hosting about 10 of my more insane friends from college days. My wife couldn't get out of town fast enough, so I was stretched a little thin.

Anyway, what a fantastic collection of recommendations; I assure you I will research all. George was kind to me during the looking/authentication process and he knows the car. I was not aware they rebuilt webers.

I've heard of Sol at Perfect Power before and those with the "other" cars with Webers have also spoken of his expertise.

Far as the PMOs, unless I get totally backed off the Weber build, I'll likely try to keep it original as I can, though I understand PMOs are great quality and easier to live with.

Thanks again for the welcome and the advice!

I just might know this AHudson guy and some of the gyrations he went through on this purchase of the 6 and the 4. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Glad to see you are now on the World.
I was out of town and missed your Friday post, you already know Paul Abbott did mine and I suggest you contact him anyway and see what he says.
Told you this is a great site! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Sep 16 2018, 10:01 PM
Post #16

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 14 2018, 04:24 PM) *

Read somewhere that Paul Abbot is not taking on any new work,he is going to finish his backlog of existing customers and retire.

No, he was taking some personal time and slowing things down a bit, but he's still letting peeps get in cue. Very much not retired.
A lot of guys will wait for his full treatment and of turning the 40's into 42's, cheaper than just a set of 46 cores.

PMO's are a good optiion, but still for a lot of guys they have to be Webers.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 16 2018, 11:59 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 17 2018, 12:10 PM) *

Skip Autos Atlanta.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) on both counts,feedback on Parts Klassik appears good and they offer a service for rebuilding distributors also.
Not a cheap job by any one that offers this service ,lots of hours in labour and if rebushing the spindles is required it all mounts up .
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Sep 17 2018, 07:03 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 13,069

+1 on Sol at Perfect Power, he did most of the engine/carb work on my 914-6. You probably saw my 6 on here when it was for sale. Look familiar?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Sep 17 2018, 08:19 AM
Post #19

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I can recommend Bieker Engineering.

My carbs came back looking like jewelry. They weren't rebuilt - they were remanufactured. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-6-1342183885.jpg)
+Quote Post
AHudson
post Sep 17 2018, 08:20 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 17 2018, 12:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 17 2018, 12:10 PM) *

Skip Autos Atlanta.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) on both counts,feedback on Parts Klassik appears good and they offer a service for rebuilding distributors also.
Not a cheap job by any one that offers this service ,lots of hours in labour and if rebushing the spindles is required it all mounts up .

Kurt at Parts Klassik just emailed to say they don't do this service any more (and haven't in 3 years) so I asked anyone he'd recommend.

I've written every one of the recs from you guys, will be making a decision by end of week.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:16 AM