Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New 914-6 Owner and Weber Recommendation
AHudson
post Sep 17 2018, 08:25 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,112
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Sep 16 2018, 08:03 PM) *

I just might know this AHudson guy and some of the gyrations he went through on this purchase of the 6 and the 4. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Glad to see you are now on the World.
I was out of town and missed your Friday post, you already know Paul Abbott did mine and I suggest you contact him anyway and see what he says.
Told you this is a great site! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)

Hey Jim! Yes, this is all mostly your fault. And I can't thank you enough! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Funny that my 'perfect' car still requires reasons to spend ungodly hours in the garage, pretending to work on the car in the name of improvement. It's the car guy creed.

Haven't gotten too far into it yet, actually still sorting out what I've got, what it needs, and how far to go. (I keep forgetting that 'budget' part I so quickly bring up when my wife has a project.) You know the drill!

Fun stuff, thanks for the welcome!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porbmw
post Sep 17 2018, 10:01 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 9,534
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 16 2018, 09:01 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 14 2018, 04:24 PM) *

Read somewhere that Paul Abbot is not taking on any new work,he is going to finish his backlog of existing customers and retire.

No, he was taking some personal time and slowing things down a bit, but he's still letting peeps get in cue. Very much not retired.
A lot of guys will wait for his full treatment and of turning the 40's into 42's, cheaper than just a set of 46 cores.

PMO's are a good optiion, but still for a lot of guys they have to be Webers.

Mark is correct.
Paul moved from California to Oregon.
He is a guru, and books accordingly....with stunning work!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
AHudson
post Sep 17 2018, 11:03 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 22,112
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(porbmw @ Sep 17 2018, 11:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 16 2018, 09:01 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 14 2018, 04:24 PM) *

Read somewhere that Paul Abbot is not taking on any new work,he is going to finish his backlog of existing customers and retire.

No, he was taking some personal time and slowing things down a bit, but he's still letting peeps get in cue. Very much not retired.
A lot of guys will wait for his full treatment and of turning the 40's into 42's, cheaper than just a set of 46 cores.

PMO's are a good optiion, but still for a lot of guys they have to be Webers.

Mark is correct.
Paul moved from California to Oregon.
He is a guru, and books accordingly....with stunning work!

Just corresponded with Paul, very nice reply that he's going to be working on his 'own' projects for a bit. I completely understand; heck that's what I'm doing too.

The search continues, but have narrowed it down just by process of elimination.
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Sep 17 2018, 11:28 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

Hopefully you still have the stock IDTP Webbers with the 27mm venturies and stock jet setup. . Personal opinion, I'd choose to get them properly cleaned and restored as they are best suited for the low power 914-6 911T motors, mostly because their progression holes are different than the IDA [911S] carbs which have 30mm venturies and not as much off idle / low speed performance oriented.

I had dismal at best experience with PMO carbs and a complete lack of help from the manufacturer who kept insisting there was something wrong with my motor. . My set of late 1990's PMO's had 4 progression holes and were way too rich directly off idle for a 2.0 T motor. . Once I found a good set of Webber bodies and restored them , the rich progression issues were resolved and the same motor responded accordingly.

The only benefit I found to the PMO's was the visible fuel bowl level sight, which is an immediate tip off they are replacement carbs if you want originality.

As for your popping, try cleaning all the idle jets and richen the idle mixture screw a tad for the popping barrel [ or barrels] as a stop gap remedy until you can disassemble them and clean all jets and passages. . that means pulling all the passage plugs to ensure removal of all debris. Also make sure the squirters for the accelerator pump circuit are all working. . they have very tiny outlet holes and plug up easily. . . As for worn throttle shafts, since the wear is below the throttle plates, they will cause a lean condition at idle if wear is too excessive. . if not too worn, this can be compensated for with the idle mixture screws but at some point will need proper rebush or oversized throttle shafts .

+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 17 2018, 12:17 PM
Post #25

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Rusty @ Sep 17 2018, 07:19 AM) *

I can recommend Bieker Engineering.

My carbs came back looking like jewelry. They weren't rebuilt - they were remanufactured. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-6-1342183885.jpg)

All that I know of Webbers I learned from Harry Bieker.

Great job but it takes a very long time. When I was 28 I had Lunch with Harry and Galen almost every day. I am 65 now. Harry and Fern and Galen where at my wedding. Many moons ago.

Bob Burton
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:19 PM