Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now I’m overcharging, My car is murdering voltage regulators
VaccaRabite
post Sep 28 2018, 09:39 AM
Post #41

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Holy crap I think I just found it!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 28 2018, 09:45 AM
Post #42

En Garde!

Attached Image
FOUND IT!

The D- pin that the VR plugs into had pushed through the potting on the replacement board I got from Mark E. I was reaching around trying to feel for the chassis ground under the relay board when it poked me.

So now I have 2 relay boards I need to restore. Lol. At least I found it!

Zach
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Sep 28 2018, 09:48 AM
Post #43

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,712

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 28 2018, 08:45 AM) *

Attached Image
FOUND IT!

The D- pin that the VR plugs into had pushed through the potting on the replacement board I got from Mark E. I was reaching around trying to feel for the chassis ground under the relay board when it poked me.

Zach

Glad to hear.
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Sep 28 2018, 09:58 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 18,763

Nice! now you can make that show
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Sep 28 2018, 10:19 AM
Post #45

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

And you didn't have to call in a priest! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 28 2018, 11:30 AM
Post #46

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 19 2018, 01:44 PM) *

are the plug terminals from the alternator harness into the board misplaced??

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 19 2018, 05:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Peashooter @ Sep 19 2018, 04:08 AM) *

Take off your relay board and take a look at the bottom. On my previous car the board had been repaired after the insulation failed and the repair material was slightly conductive, leading to exactly the same issue you have with overcharging. Good luck!

Just put a new relay board in it a few weeks ago while trying to find the cause of the undercharging issues.

Part of the reason why this is frustrating is that I have replaced or cleaned every part of the charging system over the past month.
*new alternator
*new alternator harness
*new relay board
*several new voltage regulars
*cleaned all the engine compartment grounds, and added a heavy ground from alternator case to the chassis.

Zach

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Sep 28 2018, 11:48 AM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 28 2018, 08:45 AM) *

Attached Image
FOUND IT!

Zach

Glad to hear.

that's awesome!- I have been watching this closely with interest to see what it would be, looks like Doc and Jeff were both on the right track, in Jeff's previous post in item #2 he stated, double-triple check the board and its connections ! and their it was! I HATE electrical stuff but we make it more complicated than it is sometimes,- so Now you can go to the event I hope!! - Hope your mother is doing better so that you can as well.

Phil
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 28 2018, 11:44 AM
Post #47

En Garde!

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 28 2018, 01:30 PM) *

that's awesome!- I have been watching this closely with interest to see what it would be, looks like Doc and Jeff were both on the right track, in Jeff's previous post in item #2 he stated, double-triple check the board and its connections ! and their it was! I HATE electrical stuff but we make it more complicated than it is sometimes,- so Now you can go to the event I hope!! - Hope your mother is doing better so that you can as well.

Phil

Yup. I assumed that just because the board was solid when I put it in last month, there was no way it could be the board now. I was chasing my tail over a 30 second fix. I was going to spend my lunch doing the tests the Jeff and Jerry prescribed, and found it while reaching around for the ground stud.

My brain literally went "no F*(KING way!"

Zach
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 28 2018, 11:55 AM
Post #48

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 28 2018, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 28 2018, 01:30 PM) *

Phil

Yup. I assumed that just because the board was solid when I put it in last month, there was no way it could be the board now. I was chasing my tail over a 30 second fix. I was going to spend my lunch doing the tests the Jeff and Jerry prescribed, and found it while reaching around for the ground stud.

My brain literally went "no F*(KING way!"

Zach

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) I know the feeling! I did the same thing trying to get my car started after reassembly 2 weeks ago, and it ended up being the fuel pump ground! after 3 hours trouble shooting my connections and board!! BUT I learned a lot from that so it was super stressful but a great learning experience - I now know how to trouble shoot the whole board and all the relays and their connections - thanks to instructions from Jeff Bowlsby. ( however my mind thinks differently and when I have time I am going to rewrite those in an order that makes more sense to me, like not taking this plug and that plug out over and over again back and forth!)

Do you have a good board?? there was a guy here last year that sold some brand new boards he made, cant remember the name, but now I wish I had bought one!
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 28 2018, 12:50 PM
Post #49

En Garde!

Mine will work fine for the rest of the fall. I have 2 that need to be repotted, planning to do it with epoxy. One of them is already cleaned and ready for the repotting.

Zach
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 28 2018, 09:00 PM
Post #50

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Everybody has done stuff like that. If anyone hasn't, they will...

A memorable one for me was troubleshooting a no-start for two hours and then noticing I had bumped the CHT sensor connector and disconnected it....

--DD
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 03:30 AM