Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Air conditioning?, Do they have a/c?
thelogo
post Dec 10 2018, 06:02 PM
Post #21

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 10 2018, 03:28 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 10 2018, 01:51 PM) *

I get it ,that a 914 can get hot in the summer .

But air conditioning in an air cooled porsche ?

Thats like having a peace symbol button on your shirt
And writing born to kill on your helmet

https://youtu.be/KMEViYvojtY

You don't live in Texas. When it is 105 outside, and the basket weave seats will leave 3rd degree burns in the back of your legs, you WANT a/c.

You drive your 914 in 105 deg heat ?

I have 110 deg here in foothill and i have a ford ranger with a tiny cab.
Ac gets cold quickly cost me less then it would to do ac in a 914 i would think
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post Dec 10 2018, 06:07 PM
Post #22

Cross Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,573

It sounds like people are becoming more weenie all the time. Drop the windows and use a spritzer bottle. That technique only made me happy in the hottest days of NV. Different times. AC is for your OTHER car. I'll drive my 914 every day regardless of conditions. She doesn't want all that extra garbage attached.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 11 2018, 06:55 AM
Post #23

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 10 2018, 06:02 PM) *

You don't live in Texas. When it is 105 outside, and the basket weave seats will leave 3rd degree burns in the back of your legs, you WANT a/c.

You drive your 914 in 105 deg heat ?

I have 110 deg here in foothill and i have a ford ranger with a tiny cab.
Ac gets cold quickly cost me less then it would to do ac in a 914 i would think

Betty drives her 914 every day. It is a true Daily Driver. And she doesn't like arriving at work all hot and sweaty. So, she gets AC. It is not a luxury here, it is a necessity.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 11 2018, 09:17 AM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I would never judge anyone living in hot and humid areas for adding AC. When we lived in Kansas, we had 914s without AC for our only transportation. In the 30 minute drive between leaving home freshly showered and arriving at work, we would feel like we had been dipped in sugar water. Not a big deal for me because I worked outside as a field biologist, but my wife had an office job and got to enjoy that sticky feeling all day. A spritzer in humid regions only makes things worse. Now that I live in the arid West, I realize that people who have never lived in the "sauna zone" don't get it. They also don't have a clue what a REAL thunderstorm looks like, but that's a different story.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Dec 11 2018, 09:36 AM
Post #25

Cross Member

You are right Brent. I guess I need to stop jabbing in fun. People in a shop get that kind of ribbing, but it doesn't come across online. Cheers.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 11 2018, 09:46 AM
Post #26

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Ain't that the truth. And you didn't even mention the HUMIDITY ! A shady spot offers no relief in that humidity. Driving home from a WCR with my wife and 2 dogs in 100F is what pushed me over the edge. Love my AC. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 11 2018, 10:26 AM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 11 2018, 08:36 AM) *

You are right Brent. I guess I need to stop jabbing in fun. People in a shop get that kind of ribbing, but it doesn't come across online. Cheers.

No worries and I hear what you are saying. People around here think the world is ending when the temperature gets above 85 with NO humidity, and I'm thinking it feels pretty good. I also remember visiting Arizona for the first time when I was living in Kansas. The temp was 120 and I thought it felt pretty good. It's that @#$% humidity that gets you. And yes, shade does no good. It's no joke that when I was working in the field, I could easily drink 3 gallons of water in an afternoon and never pee. I'm perfectly happy as an ex-pat from the Sauna States. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Dec 11 2018, 11:36 AM
Post #28

Cross Member

Humidity is a bitch. I've only experienced it to extreme once. Flew from west coast to Indiana, and it hit me the second I got off the plane. And that's not even where it's the worst, just happened to be a special day.

I'm still the stubborn old school guy though who will spritz water while the wind is moving and feel that relief. It only gets worse when you get out of the 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Dec 11 2018, 04:27 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 10 2018, 05:07 PM) *

It sounds like people are becoming more weenie all the time. Drop the windows and use a spritzer bottle. That technique only made me happy in the hottest days of NV. Different times. AC is for your OTHER car. I'll drive my 914 every day regardless of conditions. She doesn't want all that extra garbage attached.

In Phoenix when it is 118+ you'd need to trade the spritzer bottle for a firehose...

Or be smart and get AC.
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Dec 11 2018, 06:52 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 7,222

Yep, I'm in N.Texas and the heat and lack of A/C are amongst the main reasons I sold 2 differnent 914 daily drivers over the years. I'd driven both apprx 2.5 years straight, each.

When I got my second (10 years after the first), I'd convinced myself it wasn't so bad, no need for A/C! Now I see little up side to not having it - Just shut off the A/C when driving aggresively. My current will have a/c.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
BPic
post Dec 11 2018, 07:01 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 21,864
Region Association: South East States

I'm in Miami, Fl and the humidity is crazy. I'll be adding an AC to mine and am now researching options. I think I will try to do an electric compressor and not have the long line back to the engine. The struggle will be with amp draw because of the alternator. Trying to work through that now. If anyone has attempted it please chime in I would love to hear what you did.
Lucky for me I have not built (or had built) my engine yet and I think if I go with the 911 upright cooling shroud, there may be a good possibility of a much larger alternator.

Open to suggestions or thoughts on this cuz this will be new territory for me. Once I start I'll post everything I'm doing.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 12 2018, 08:53 AM
Post #32

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(BPic @ Dec 11 2018, 07:01 PM) *

I'm in Miami, Fl and the humidity is crazy. I'll be adding an AC to mine and am now researching options. I think I will try to do an electric compressor and not have the long line back to the engine. The struggle will be with amp draw because of the alternator. Trying to work through that now. If anyone has attempted it please chime in I would love to hear what you did.
Lucky for me I have not built (or had built) my engine yet and I think if I go with the 911 upright cooling shroud, there may be a good possibility of a much larger alternator.

Open to suggestions or thoughts on this cuz this will be new territory for me. Once I start I'll post everything I'm doing.

Unless you spring for a really high amp alternator, an electric compressor is a no-go. Even a 3.2 alternator is not enough for one. I have a 3.6 alternator (180 amp) and I am going to run an electric AC compressor. There is no way a stock 914 70 amp alternator can come close to running one.

I suggest you stick with an engine mounted AC compressor. Betty's car uses a rotary compressor on the engine, and it works fine.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 12 2018, 09:01 AM
Post #33

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

classicretrofit.com has the electric compressor and hi capacity alternator for the 911 fan. It's a bolt in system for 911's but would have to be adapted to 914's due to a different front air box. We've done a couple on 911's and they work well. Not cheap at $4K but neither is R&D to make your own system. I do agree with Clay, if you have a 914-4, use the stock system with an updated compressor.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rand
post Dec 13 2018, 11:23 AM
Post #34

Cross Member

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Dec 11 2018, 02:27 PM) *

In Phoenix when it is 118+ you'd need to trade the spritzer bottle for a firehose...

Or be smart and get AC.

LOL, I love you man. At 118, are you driving the 914?

+Quote Post
thelogo
post Dec 13 2018, 11:31 AM
Post #35

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 12 2018, 07:01 AM) *

classicretrofit.com has the electric compressor and hi capacity alternator for the 911 fan. It's a bolt in system for 911's but would have to be adapted to 914's due to a different front air box. We've done a couple on 911's and they work well.

Not cheap at $4K

Ford ranger ,little cab (kinda like a 914 cockpit wise)
with ac

Less then 4k .

But i do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) someone who really does daily drive their
Teeners . I did it for a month in spring.

Teener got same total milage on 16 gallons
As my mazda protege did on 11.5 .

But that's japenese tech for ya . Mazda ac never worked
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Dec 13 2018, 08:53 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 13 2018, 10:23 AM) *

Or be smart and get AC.

Does going out into the shop and sitting in it and making "vroom, vroom" sounds while it is up on jack stands count as "driving"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

I had an 86 944 turbo that lost AC and I drove it for about a month in Phoenix during the summer before I got around to fixing it. I'll never drive a car in Phoenix without AC ever again.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Dec 15 2018, 04:46 PM
Post #37

Cross Member

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Dec 13 2018, 06:53 PM) *

Or be smart and get AC.

Does going out into the shop and sitting in it and making "vroom, vroom" sounds while it is up on jack stands count as "driving"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

I had an 86 944 turbo that lost AC and I drove it for about a month in Phoenix during the summer before I got around to fixing it. I'll never drive a car in Phoenix without AC ever again.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Where's the AC smiley? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Dec 17 2018, 11:15 AM
Post #38

QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 15 2018, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Dec 13 2018, 06:53 PM) *

Or be smart and get AC.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Where's the AC smiley? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It is a dealer option and hasn't been installed on this model. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:48 PM