Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hit a dog - Now Fixed, Great job on the repair
North Coast Jim
post Sep 18 2018, 08:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,450
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hit a dog this evening. Couldn't find the owner nor the dog. Police now looking for the dog and the dog's owner. A big English Bulldog

Can't open the hood and the headlights won't close. It was dusk and the lights were on. Bumper top and bumper damaged. Valance survived the hit. Suspect the structure behind is also damaged. What to do ??? I'm no body man !!! Where to get this fixed ?? Northern Ohio Area

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Sep 18 2018, 09:07 PM
Post #2

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

Contact @McMark on the board here. Owner of Original customs in Grand Rapids MI. I know not Northern Ohio, but he knows the 914 very well.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Sep 18 2018, 10:24 PM
Post #3

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Doesn't take alot to bend the front structure but still that must have been a big dog.

I'd make the drive to McMark, he knows 914s and we have seen the skills. He even has banner ads here as I post (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 18 2018, 10:27 PM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

McMark. Get it fixed right.
+Quote Post
sb914
post Sep 19 2018, 05:44 AM
Post #5

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

Poor dog!
+Quote Post
sithot
post Sep 19 2018, 05:48 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 7,090

This shop does all my work but unfortunately are not geographically desirable for you.
The owner is an impeccable chassis/structural mechanic and has performed many miracles over the years on cars I wouldn't have bothered with. He has a 356 in process that's as bad as I've seen, including Adam Wright's (Unobtanium) photos of "bad" cars.

Here's one that suffered some damage that required "pulling" which you will no doubt need.

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid=667
814]Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Sep 19 2018, 10:36 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,459

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate run in with the dog. I think it will pull out without too much trouble. Let me know if you do end up needing any parts.

Some pictures of your car this summer at Stoddard’s Swap meet that might hopefully make you feel better. You shouldn’t have much trouble getting it back to looking as nice as it did earlier this summer.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Jeff B
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 19 2018, 10:51 AM
Post #8

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

I hope the dog's owners were found. :-( I guess he did not have a collar or any tags?

I know its not right, but if you had said "I hit a deer" I would have been all "FUCK THAT DEER" but when its a loose dog I care more that the dog finds his owners and hopefully gets the help he needs.

If they can find the owners though, your car can likely be fixed through the owners insurance. its the owners responsibility to keep their dog and (depending on the laws for your state) you may be able to get some recompense.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 19 2018, 10:52 AM
Post #9

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

Pull the relays for the headlights so you don't burn up the motor or the headlight wiring from them trying to close.

Zach
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Sep 19 2018, 11:20 AM
Post #10

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

Dang. This just sucks all around (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post Sep 19 2018, 06:54 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 19 2018, 12:51 PM) *

I hope the dog's owners were found. :-( I guess he did not have a collar or any tags?

I know its not right, but if you had said "I hit a deer" I would have been all "FUCK THAT DEER" but when its a loose dog I care more that the dog finds his owners and hopefully gets the help he needs.

If they can find the owners though, your car can likely be fixed through the owners insurance. its the owners responsibility to keep their dog and (depending on the laws for your state) you may be able to get some recompense.

Zach

Police report indicates the owners. Be assured this is not soley my wallet paying for this fiasco. You let your pet roam free and cause an accident you are held responsible. Stupid pet owner.
+Quote Post
second wind
post Sep 19 2018, 07:24 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 12,543
Region Association: Southern California

Not to be mean but 1.) How is the dog? 2.) the lime green example of repairs looks great from the outside but that bulge on the wheel well seems a bit obvious...3.) having had more than than one crash repaired the wheel well always shows the history....keeping it real.....
gg
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 19 2018, 07:35 PM
Post #13

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Definitely pull the relays for the lights, or maybe just disconnect the battery. That'll make sure nothing can short out.

If you need to get into the front trunk, remove the bumper. Two bolts in each front fender, and it will drop off. Then there should be a hole in the middle of the panel behind it that you can stick a screwdriver through to manually actuate the latch. I don't know if that will be enough, though, as yours does seem to be mechanically wedged. But it's a start...

--DD
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post Sep 20 2018, 01:42 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(second wind @ Sep 19 2018, 09:24 PM) *

Not to be mean but 1.) How is the dog? 2.) the lime green example of repairs looks great from the outside but that bulge on the wheel well seems a bit obvious...3.) having had more than than one crash repaired the wheel well always shows the history....keeping it real.....
gg

Dog is on the mend. Perforated lung and scrapes and contusins. Glad to see that he's OK. Big male English Bulldog over 100 lbs.

+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post Sep 20 2018, 01:57 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Sep 18 2018, 10:57 PM) *

Hit a dog this evening. Couldn't find the owner nor the dog. Police now looking for the dog and the dog's owner. A big English Bulldog

Can't open the hood and the headlights won't close. It was dusk and the lights were on. Bumper top and bumper damaged. Valance survived the hit. Suspect the structure behind is also damaged. What to do ??? I'm no body man !!! Where to get this fixed ?? Northern Ohio Area

Attached ImageAttached Image

Someone must be smiling on me. Called the shop that painted the car and had done the original body prep. Said they had an original 914 bumper still in primer with the Porsche stickers still on it in storage. It's mine. Been there for 35 years. Shouldn't take too much to pull the front structure back once we get the bumper off and can then open the hood. They have a few bumper tops to choose from but I may elect to go with a new aftermarket one from 914 Rubber.

Trailering the car in the morning to Columbus. If you see me on 270 around 11AM honk the horn.
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post Oct 27 2018, 09:46 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Sep 18 2018, 10:57 PM) *

She's back in the garage repaired from the dog hit. Shop actually had an original 914 bumper in primer with the factory stickers still on it. What a find. New Bumper top, hood latch and license plate frame. Body work and paint are superb !!!! They painted the front drivers fender, hood, bumper and trunk in the original paint as it was left from the last respray of the entire car. Can't find where they did the work. Very Happy on the results.

Oh and while the car was out I bought and installed a Max Jax lift in the garage.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:05 PM